Author Topic: Love Exposure (Sion Sono, 2008)  (Read 2141 times)

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
Re: Love Exposure (Sion Sono, 2008)
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 12:19:27 AM »
... and, most notably, STRANGE CIRCUS, which is fucking bananas.

You weren't wrong. The opening section concerning incest must be one of the bleakest and most fucked up things I've ever seen, but then it becomes really insane and often quite funny, at least until we get to the Mitsuko flashbacks again and everything after that is deranged. Love Exposure is still my favourite film of his but this takes second place.

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2018, 10:03:59 PM »
Love & Peace - Which just proves you never know what you're going to get with Sono. I certainly wasn't expecting one of the sweetest and loveliest films I've seen in ages, it warmed the cockles of my heart an enormous amount and it may well be my second favourite work of his after Love Exposure, and after Lynch he's definitely my second favourite director now. It's a fantastically christmasy film with a healthy dose of magic realism and perfect viewing for this time of year. 8.8/10

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2018, 08:23:33 PM »
Tag (2015) - Another Sion Sono film with an incredibly memorable opening where two buses of Japanese school girls are trundling through the countryside with everyone having a grand old time when suddenly a demonic force cuts the bus horizontally in two and only Mitsuko, who was handily picking a pen up from the floor at the time, survives. Except after running through the woods for a fair old while, encountering other corpses, she runs in to people who claim to be her friends who are still alive and they go to a school she doesn't recognise. So is she going mad? Or is something even odder afoot? It's an incredibly strange piece with moments of joy but given the opening (and an encounter with a crocodile twenty odd minutes in) I couldn't help but feel tense waiting for something to go horrible wrong and it's strangely a relief when it does. Except then every gets even crazier. It's a surreal action horror film and beautifully deranged, and absolutely insane in the best possible kind of way. 8.1/10

The only slightly annoying thing is that they use the opening theme from The Walking Dead as incidental music at certain points, not that it's a bad piece of music but it took me out of the film a bit as I wondered why they used pre-existing music. I guess Sono must have just really liked it, and to be fair it does fit proceedings well even if there aren't any zombies about.

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 01:51:55 PM »
Netflix in Taiwan (probably the rest of East Asia too) has a new cut of Love Exposure as a 10 x 28ish minutes TV series incorporating around 35 minutes of extra footage that was left out of the original film version. I'm not usually a fan of extended versions but this is a worthwhile alternative and thankfully doesn't drag. Most of the new footage I think is in the earlier half, particularly the backstory of the two main female characters. Watching in episodes over several sittings you do though lose some of the sustained emotional intensity of the original film.