Author Topic: Love Exposure (Sion Sono, 2008)  (Read 3919 times)

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
Re: Love Exposure (Sion Sono, 2008)
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 12:19:27 AM »
... and, most notably, STRANGE CIRCUS, which is fucking bananas.

You weren't wrong. The opening section concerning incest must be one of the bleakest and most fucked up things I've ever seen, but then it becomes really insane and often quite funny, at least until we get to the Mitsuko flashbacks again and everything after that is deranged. Love Exposure is still my favourite film of his but this takes second place.

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2018, 10:03:59 PM »
Love & Peace - Which just proves you never know what you're going to get with Sono. I certainly wasn't expecting one of the sweetest and loveliest films I've seen in ages, it warmed the cockles of my heart an enormous amount and it may well be my second favourite work of his after Love Exposure, and after Lynch he's definitely my second favourite director now. It's a fantastically christmasy film with a healthy dose of magic realism and perfect viewing for this time of year. 8.8/10

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2018, 08:23:33 PM »
Tag (2015) - Another Sion Sono film with an incredibly memorable opening where two buses of Japanese school girls are trundling through the countryside with everyone having a grand old time when suddenly a demonic force cuts the bus horizontally in two and only Mitsuko, who was handily picking a pen up from the floor at the time, survives. Except after running through the woods for a fair old while, encountering other corpses, she runs in to people who claim to be her friends who are still alive and they go to a school she doesn't recognise. So is she going mad? Or is something even odder afoot? It's an incredibly strange piece with moments of joy but given the opening (and an encounter with a crocodile twenty odd minutes in) I couldn't help but feel tense waiting for something to go horrible wrong and it's strangely a relief when it does. Except then every gets even crazier. It's a surreal action horror film and beautifully deranged, and absolutely insane in the best possible kind of way. 8.1/10

The only slightly annoying thing is that they use the opening theme from The Walking Dead as incidental music at certain points, not that it's a bad piece of music but it took me out of the film a bit as I wondered why they used pre-existing music. I guess Sono must have just really liked it, and to be fair it does fit proceedings well even if there aren't any zombies about.

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 01:51:55 PM »
Netflix in Taiwan (probably the rest of East Asia too) has a new cut of Love Exposure as a 10 x 28ish minutes TV series incorporating around 35 minutes of extra footage that was left out of the original film version. I'm not usually a fan of extended versions but this is a worthwhile alternative and thankfully doesn't drag. Most of the new footage I think is in the earlier half, particularly the backstory of the two main female characters. Watching in episodes over several sittings you do though lose some of the sustained emotional intensity of the original film.

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2019, 10:10:54 AM »
Anyone watched his new film on Netflix, The Forest Of Love. It’s my first “Exposure” to Sono and I have to say I “Love”d it. Going to check out the rest of his filmography asap. Joe Murata is the most insidious character I’ve ever seen in a movie, absolutely despicable but incredibly watchable.

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2019, 11:21:00 AM »
Cheers for the tip, clarence.  Doubtful I'd've known that was on there without it, as it's not the kind of thing internet flicks gives you alerts for.  Sounds kinda odd and trashy in a good way.  Doesn't he also have a series on Amazon (not seen it yet- any cop?)?

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 11:46:06 AM »
Anyone watched his new film on Netflix, The Forest Of Love. It’s my first “Exposure” to Sono and I have to say I “Love”d it. Going to check out the rest of his filmography asap. Joe Murata is the most insidious character I’ve ever seen in a movie, absolutely despicable but incredibly watchable.

I'd not heard about it at all so thanks for the heads up, shall definitely watch it very soon.

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 12:02:28 PM »
Cheers for the tip, clarence.  Doubtful I'd've known that was on there without it, as it's not the kind of thing internet flicks gives you alerts for.  Sounds kinda odd and trashy in a good way.  Doesn't he also have a series on Amazon (not seen it yet- any cop?)?

It is very odd, and very trashy indeed. I actually only watched it because someone online compared it to CaB favourite Nirvanna The Band The Show. The similarity beginning and ending with the fact that one of the characters is called Jay. Very glad I was essentially tricked into it though, as it’s really opened my eyes to Japanese cinema. I believe the amazon show is Tokyo Vampire Hotel, I’ve heard mixed things, but might check it out eventually.

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2019, 12:52:07 PM »

He's certainly churning a lot of stuff out each year for a guy in his late fifties. I watched the two Shinjuku Swan movies he did recently and found them only ok. Is Sono considered a top-tier director in Japan or is their film scene so well funded and fertile that even oddball directors can get constant work?

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2019, 06:12:36 AM »
He's certainly churning a lot of stuff out each year for a guy in his late fifties. I watched the two Shinjuku Swan movies he did recently and found them only ok. Is Sono considered a top-tier director in Japan or is their film scene so well funded and fertile that even oddball directors can get constant work?

He must have some degree of clout as I've heard a couple of his one-time Sushi Typhoon colleagues complaining that they can't get a fraction of the budgets they used to (the most extreme example being a Noboru Iguchi interview where he reveals his budgets are around a tenth of what they used to be, and they weren't much to begin with). Basically if it's not a sequel or a manga adaptation you can do one. Feels like the rise of streaming coupled with the arse falling out of the dvd market has really hit a lot of cult filmmakers hard over there. Or at least the specific little subset I'm a fan of.

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2020, 12:54:19 AM »
A few episodes into his Amazon project, Tokyo Vampire Hotel, and I'm actually kind of loving this.  Some of Sono's hyperviolence, such as in the aforementioned Forest of Love, is a bit too rich for my blood.  I think I used to have a thicker stomach in my early 20s.  But in a 'fantasy' context it actually becomes almost fun.  That probably makes me a soyboy who can't handle reality, but what're you gonna do?  I guess when it comes to social commentary and the quality of script/performances, this isn't him at his best, but I don't think he always gets credit for how fucking great he is at setting up tense scenes that go south in innumerably unpredictable ways (you know, the thing latterday Tarantino is often credited for).  Some typically wild ideas in here...like an ancient vampire with a cabal of subordinates in her vagina.  Supposedly the film edit is all the quiet moments taken out with nothing but the headier shots and action sequences kept in, almost to the point where it's 'experimental in its unrelentingness,' but I'm really digging the series so far.  Got a pretty bad rap in some places, but if you're into gory, silly cult movies and whatnot, this should be up your alley.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention, they got one of my favourite math rock bands Tricot to do the theme tune, which is nice of them.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 01:05:19 AM by Sin Agog »

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2020, 05:24:46 PM »
^Currently watching this after meaning to get round to it since it came out. Got a few episodes left but I reckon it's probably better served in the cut down film version, I imagine that's pretty wild because even this version isn't the most sensical thing. Good dumb fun for the most part. Kaho is great, Megumi Kagurazaka (Sono's missus) is as good as she is in the rest of his stuff.

I think I'll give the episodic version of Love Exposure a go when I'm done. Been years since I watched the film but I'm sure that version is just excellent.

Tags: