Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:38:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Sitcoms That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

Started by Small Man Big Horse, March 20, 2017, 05:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Here's a few to start off with, as I'd like to briefly chat about them, but they're not that great and I'm sure if given their own threads they'd die on their arse.

Making History S1 - I love time travel shows but this is a really drab and annoying show where you're supposed to like Adam Pally. But that is of course impossible due to both the stupidity and blandness of the character / man. It's a shame as the rest of the cast are pretty decent, but it tends to rarely make me smile, let alone laugh, and unless it picks up quickly I'll be ditching it soon.

Modern Family S8 - This has been patchy as fuck for the last two seasons but now it's lost any charm that it once had and most of the characters are actively annoying. At least Luke is slightly less rapey this year, but that's the only positive thing I can say about it.

Family Guy S15 - I've stuck with this over the years because of the odd great Stewie and Brian episode, and the fact that most normal ones would still contain a good few laughs in amongst the more horrible and lazy stuff, but this recent season has hit a new low, it's just so bland and predictable and unfunny, and I don't think I'm going to bother with it anymore.

Fresh Off The Boat S3 - I'm a newcomer to this and I liked a couple of the third season episodes, one of which featured Ray Wise heavily, but all too often it's very formulaic. Plus the kid with the stupid hair needs to be run over or stabbed or something as his plots are always rubbish.

Trial and Error S1 - New John Lithgow show which is a parody of Making A Murderer apparently, bar that it features rich posh types. Does have the possibility of developing in to something really fun and is easily the best show mentioned so far, but certain things irritate, like the secretary who suffers from a ridiculous amount of strange conditions, and the ridiculously dumb small town cop. Still, it does have potential, and I'd recommend folks catch the first two episodes at the very least.

Jeff and Some Aliens S1 - New animated comedy with Brett Gelman providing the main voice, though sadly he's not involved in the writing side. It actually just finished last week but I'm only four episodes in so far and can't say it's really doing it for me, the third episode was fairly okay but then the fourth was a big old mess.

Mom S4 - I really like this show but a previous season thread only got about two replies. Plus it's not been as strong this year, largely because William Fichtner's character is fairly naff, I much preferred it when Bonnie was single. Still, when it's all about Anna Farris it can be relied upon to deliver a fair few big laughs.

Feel free to add any of your own too, of course.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Bad Teacher, harking back to the days when the yanks would do sitcom versions of their own films ( M*A*S*H,  Private Benjamin, other ones not army related ). Features Sara Gilbert, The Dark Haired One Off Sex And The City and some cameos from second tier characters from " The Office " ( Yank Versh, Obvs ). Trajectory of each episode a bit limited, as the BT in question acts like a completely selfish bitch for the first 20 minutes, then feels a bit guilty in the last 5 minutes, and does something to redeem herself, so the gym teacher who she's sporadically shagging can say " oh, you're not such a massive bitch after all.". More or less every fucking episode. Also, the woman playing BT looks more like the young Bette Midler than Cameron Diaz, so that' s off putting. Apart from that, it's moderately watchable.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 20, 2017, 05:48:35 PM
Bad Teacher, harking back to the days when the yanks would do sitcom versions of their own films ( M*A*S*H,  Private Benjamin, other ones not army related ). Features Sara Gilbert, The Dark Haired One Off Sex And The City and some cameos from second tier characters from " The Office " ( Yank Versh, Obvs ). Trajectory of each episode a bit limited, as the BT in question acts like a completely selfish bitch for the first 20 minutes, then feels a bit guilty in the last 5 minutes, and does something to redeem herself, so the gym teacher who she's sporadically shagging can say " oh, you're not such a massive bitch after all.". More or less every fucking episode. Also, the woman playing BT looks more like the young Bette Midler than Cameron Diaz, so that' s off putting. Apart from that, it's moderately watchable.

I struggled with the original film so gave the series a pass, and it seems from your comments it was the right thing to do as I watch too much average fare as it is.

Powerless - Sitcom set in the DC Universe about a bunch of science geeks who work for a company run by Bruce Wayne's cousin. I want to like it because it stars Danny Pudi and Alan Tudyk and after a shaky start it's become moderately watchable, but there's something about it which suggests it's never going to be that great.

phantom_power

Powerless seems to be trying really hard to be Better Off Ted but failing in most respects. It is watchable but unremarkable.

I really liked the first episode of Trial and Error, mainly because the actors are so good but also because it is pretty well written and fun

Robot DeNiro

I was looking forward to Trial and Error, but didn't enjoy the first two episodes.  I thought it was too broad to really work in the mockumentary format, especially the two characters you mentioned, the secretary and the idiot assistant.  It also felt like it was getting repetitive after just two episodes, so I don't think I'll be watching any more.

I've stuck with Fresh Off The Boat since the beginning.  I'm not sure why really, it's very mainstream, and often not very funny.  But there are usually a couple of laughs every episode, and the character of Jessica is very well written / performed.

I thought the first episode of Powerless was all gimmick and no jokes, and haven't watched any others.

What a negative post.

Jack Shaftoe

I *really* like New Girl, but feel that starting a threat here would be like throwing a baby into a wolf pit. But I do like it, particularly the loose two-parter last series where 1) the boys go on a stag do and 2) the girls get stoned and try and return a breadmaker. Just silly and warm, and sometimes very very funny indeed.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on March 20, 2017, 11:54:16 PM
Powerless seems to be trying really hard to be Better Off Ted but failing in most respects. It is watchable but unremarkable.

I thought that whilst watching the fifth episode of Powerless last night. I've yet to see episodes three and four though, I skipped ahead in the hope the show had found it's feet a little and whilst it has it still doesn't look like it'll be anything great.

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on March 21, 2017, 09:07:00 AM
I was looking forward to Trial and Error, but didn't enjoy the first two episodes.  I thought it was too broad to really work in the mockumentary format, especially the two characters you mentioned, the secretary and the idiot assistant.  It also felt like it was getting repetitive after just two episodes, so I don't think I'll be watching any more.

I'm going to stick with it for a few more episodes as I like Lithgow so much, but without his presence I'm pretty sure I'd have ditched it.

QuoteI've stuck with Fresh Off The Boat since the beginning.  I'm not sure why really, it's very mainstream, and often not very funny.  But there are usually a couple of laughs every episode, and the character of Jessica is very well written / performed.

I've seen a couple of episodes which I really liked, but others haven't elicited a single laugh, it's an odd beast, yet I'll probably stick with it as at least it doesn't actively annoy and the good episodes make up for the weaker ones.

QuoteWhat a negative post.

It's why the thread was invented!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 20, 2017, 05:28:20 PM
Here's a few to start off with, as I'd like to briefly chat about them, but they're not that great and I'm sure if given their own threads they'd die on their arse.

Making History S1 - I love time travel shows but this is a really drab and annoying show where you're supposed to like Adam Pally. But that is of course impossible due to both the stupidity and blandness of the character / man. It's a shame as the rest of the cast are pretty decent, but it tends to rarely make me smile, let alone laugh, and unless it picks up quickly I'll be ditching it soon.

Modern Family S8 - This has been patchy as fuck for the last two seasons but now it's lost any charm that it once had and most of the characters are actively annoying. At least Luke is slightly less rapey this year, but that's the only positive thing I can say about it.

Family Guy S15 - I've stuck with this over the years because of the odd great Stewie and Brian episode, and the fact that most normal ones would still contain a good few laughs in amongst the more horrible and lazy stuff, but this recent season has hit a new low, it's just so bland and predictable and unfunny, and I don't think I'm going to bother with it anymore.

Fresh Off The Boat S3 - I'm a newcomer to this and I liked a couple of the third season episodes, one of which featured Ray Wise heavily, but all too often it's very formulaic. Plus the kid with the stupid hair needs to be run over or stabbed or something as his plots are always rubbish.

Trial and Error S1 - New John Lithgow show which is a parody of Making A Murderer apparently, bar that it features rich posh types. Does have the possibility of developing in to something really fun and is easily the best show mentioned so far, but certain things irritate, like the secretary who suffers from a ridiculous amount of strange conditions, and the ridiculously dumb small town cop. Still, it does have potential, and I'd recommend folks catch the first two episodes at the very least.

Jeff and Some Aliens S1 - New animated comedy with Brett Gelman providing the main voice, though sadly he's not involved in the writing side. It actually just finished last week but I'm only four episodes in so far and can't say it's really doing it for me, the third episode was fairly okay but then the fourth was a big old mess.

Mom S4 - I really like this show but a previous season thread only got about two replies. Plus it's not been as strong this year, largely because William Fichtner's character is fairly naff, I much preferred it when Bonnie was single. Still, when it's all about Anna Farris it can be relied upon to deliver a fair few big laughs.

Feel free to add any of your own too, of course.

Never fails to amaze me when I realise how much middling to crap TV you watch.

Utter Shit

I'm not sure whether it got a thread on here, but The Good Place was great.

Fun little sitcom by Michael Schur (wrote for Parks & Rec and The Office, occasionally appeared in the latter as Mose) and starring Kristen Bell as a selfish and ignorant woman who dies and is sent to an ultra-exclusive 'heaven' intended for only the good people in society by mistake, the story centering around her attempts to become a good person.
Very glossy and silly, with a great turn from Ted Danson as the well-meaning, bumbling leader of The Good Place.

Funny that the criminally forgotten Better Off Ted got mentioned, because that's what The Good Place reminds me most of, obviously not in plot but in tone.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 21, 2017, 02:49:32 PM
Never fails to amaze me when I realise how much middling to crap TV you watch.

You're not wrong, but most of that is due to being bed bound right now due to the surgery, and sometimes I'm in so much pain I can only cope with very undemanding shows. The majority of which I imagine I'll ditch when I'm back working, but in the meantime I try to persuade myself I'm doing important pop culture research and should at least sample the bad stuff as well as the good. It's a nonsensical argument, but it keeps me vaguely sane at the moment.

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 21, 2017, 03:49:36 PM
I'm not sure whether it got a thread on here, but The Good Place was great.

Fun little sitcom by Michael Schur (wrote for Parks & Rec and The Office, occasionally appeared in the latter as Mose) and starring Kristen Bell as a selfish and ignorant woman who dies and is sent to an ultra-exclusive 'heaven' intended for only the good people in society by mistake, the story centering around her attempts to become a good person.
Very glossy and silly, with a great turn from Ted Danson as the well-meaning, bumbling leader of The Good Place.

Funny that the criminally forgotten Better Off Ted got mentioned, because that's what The Good Place reminds me most of, obviously not in plot but in tone.

The Good Place did get it's own thread as it was indeed a thing of loveliness, and I really hope it gets a second season. And I really enjoyed Better Off Ted as well, it's a shame that Fresco's most recent efforts (Sean Saves The World, Santa Clarita Diet) haven't come close to capturing it's charm.

Robot DeNiro

According to Wikipedia The Good Place has been renewed for a second season of 13 episodes.  Which is great news, as I think it's definitely the best of this year's crop of new shows.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on March 21, 2017, 05:01:26 PM
According to Wikipedia The Good Place has been renewed for a second season of 13 episodes.  Which is great news, as I think it's definitely the best of this year's crop of new shows.

That's fantastic to hear, somehow the news passed me by. Glad it's another 13 episode season as well as it's a tightly plotted show which would probably be full of filler episodes if they dragged it out any longer than that.

Edit: Just checked The Good Place thread and apparently I already knew that, and said pretty much the same thing as above. Fucking hell, my memory is terrible these days, it's actually slightly worrying.

phantom_power

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on March 21, 2017, 02:40:24 PM
I *really* like New Girl, but feel that starting a threat here would be like throwing a baby into a wolf pit. But I do like it, particularly the loose two-parter last series where 1) the boys go on a stag do and 2) the girls get stoned and try and return a breadmaker. Just silly and warm, and sometimes very very funny indeed.

I like New Girl as well. I like that a lot of it is just goofing around rather than the gag-gag-gag tempo of a lot of US sitcoms. Jake Johnson is fantastic in it

Small Man Big Horse

I've tried to get on with New Girl, and certain aspects make me laugh, but I really dislike Max Greenfield's character so haven't stuck with it.

Jack Shaftoe

Have you got to the bit where he says 'chuterney' yet? Because he spirals off into his own complex little world after that, including seeing him at work where he's the only male in an office full of high-powered women and you start to get an insight into his weird psyche.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Max Greenfield's character is the only one worth watching I think.  I do like him saying 'chutney'.

Gulftastic

I watched the first three season of 'New Girl' but just drifted away. I did enjoy it.

And aside from 'Chuterny' I loved him saying 'youths'

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on March 21, 2017, 06:35:11 PM
Have you got to the bit where he says 'chuterney' yet? Because he spirals off into his own complex little world after that, including seeing him at work where he's the only male in an office full of high-powered women and you start to get an insight into his weird psyche.

Ah, no, I only got about six episodes in before dropping it. It's nice to know the character improves though and maybe one day I'll get round to watching it.

Penfold

I frigging love New Girl.

I was late to it and didn't watch until season 3 I think. It's currently my favourite ensemble comedy on TV. There's only 3 episodes left in the current season and that might be it, it's not been renewed for what would probably be a final season but there's still time. 2016 was great year despite all the elections and deaths because a total of 32 episodes of New Girl were broadcast.

I'll miss Cece and Winston the most.

Jack Shaftoe

Well clearly now I think I should have started a thread on New Girl. I'll be sad if it doesn't get another series, but at least it was consistently pretty damn good.

The 'Nick is talking about a popcorn maker when Jess thinks he's talking about not wanting to go out with Ceecee' is one of those YouTube videos I just can't stop watching. Better in context of the whole episode (which is why I haven't linked to it), but I must have watched it dozens of times.

Penfold

Spiderhunt!

My favourite episode.

Possibly in second place is the one from last season with Bill Burr and Lennon Parham as Nick's cousins.

I'll put it behind a spoiler for fun, I think it still works without seeing the episode.

Spoiler alert
Nick: This is nuts. I can't do this.
Schmidt: This might be your only chance to have a kid.
Nick: Yeah, but then I have to have sex with my cousin. I don't want to have... I don't want to have sex with my cousin.
Schmidt: It's not your cousin. It's your cousin's wife. That's like letting a dog drink water out of your mouth. You know, it's not great, but it's legal.
[close]

Actually probably better to watch the episode.

KennyMonster

Marblehead Manor was shit and certainly doesn't deserve its own thread, it doesn't even deserve this post[nb]I'm not even sure why you brought it up in the first place really.[/nb].

olliebean

Trial and Error lost me in the first episode with its "ha ha mental disability" comedy, as well as its "ha ha he's gay" and "ha ha look a woodcut of two men bumming." Not because it was especially offensive, so much as because it was so damn lazy, and really, can't we do better these days?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on March 22, 2017, 08:33:05 AM
Trial and Error lost me in the first episode with its "ha ha mental disability" comedy, as well as its "ha ha he's gay" and "ha ha look a woodcut of two men bumming." Not because it was especially offensive, so much as because it was so damn lazy, and really, can't we do better these days?

I've very mixed feelings about Trial and Error, some episodes are poor but others have been quite strong, it's an odd beast. They've cut down on the gay jokes at least, but the two locals are still fairly annoying and if it wasn't only thirteen episodes I'm not sure I'd be sticking with it.

Powerless - Still really patchy, the fifth episode of this was fairly okay, but the sixth undid all the good work with a piss poor episode. But then the seventh came along and was probably the best yet, a bottle episode where the cast are really gelling now. It's on the bubble renewal wise though as ratings are very average, so may never get the chance to really establish itself.

Making History - I tried to give this the benefit of the doubt but Adam Pally's character is just too unlikeable, and the plots are mostly boring, so despite loving time travel shows I'm out.

Mom - Recently had a completely William Fichtner free episode (the one where Jill adopts a thirteen year old Rick and Morty fan) and it was great, packed with laughs and some very funny moments. So I really hope they kill Fichtner off soon, though I have a horrible feeling he's going to be around for a long old time now given he and Bonnie almost split up a few episodes back but are now happily together again.

Modern Family - I've quit it! After four good years, two mixed, and two reasonably weak I'm finally free! Hahahahahahaha!

Sydward Lartle

I'm always the first to admit that I don't really get American television comedy. I'm sure it's well written, snappy, slick, tightly performed and beautifully observed, but I don't think I've seen an episode of anything from across the pond that has raised more than an indulgent titter. Back in the nineties I used to watch Channel Four's perenially underperforming US import Empty Nest (a spinoff from the Golden Girls, I believe) because I fancied Dinah Manoff and Kristy McNichol. Don't think I ever laughed at it, though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 07, 2017, 06:10:02 PM
I'm always the first to admit that I don't really get American television comedy. I'm sure it's well written, snappy, slick, tightly performed and beautifully observed, but I don't think I've seen an episode of anything from across the pond that has raised more than an indulgent titter. Back in the nineties I used to watch Channel Four's perenially underperforming US import Empty Nest (a spinoff from the Golden Girls, I believe) because I fancied Dinah Manoff and Kristy McNichol. Don't think I ever laughed at it, though.

Well this is a thread specifically for the shoddier ones but I see your point, and know others who agree with it. But out of interest have you sampled their more unusual fare, like, say, Delocated, Nathan For You, Wonder Showzen or Review With Forrest MacNeil?

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 07, 2017, 05:47:28 PM
Modern Family - I've quit it! After four good years, two mixed, and two reasonably weak I'm finally free! Hahahahahahaha!

I'm not up to date with this, but I did recently pick up the 7th Season on DVD and have been working through it. I wouldn't say I'm not enjoying it, and I think it was a good idea for me to take a break after the 6th season which did leave me slightly cold, but it does seem to be developing a bit of a mean streak; a tasteless reference to JFK Jr's death, Mitchell and Cameron think murderers are staying in their lodger room, but it turns out to be
Spoiler alert
dated, nerdy ceramic doll collector stereotypes, and Mitchell ends up breaking all their dolls, hardy har
[close]
. I guess it's hypocritical for me to chafe at this after having devoured the first season of Vice Principals in a couple of days, but it does seem to go against the appeal of such a pleasant, gentle, breezy show.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on April 07, 2017, 07:29:15 PM
I'm not up to date with this, but I did recently pick up the 7th Season on DVD and have been working through it. I wouldn't say I'm not enjoying it, and I think it was a good idea for me to take a break after the 6th season which did leave me slightly cold, but it does seem to be developing a bit of a mean streak; a tasteless reference to JFK Jr's death, Mitchell and Cameron think murderers are staying in their lodger room, but it turns out to be
Spoiler alert
dated, nerdy ceramic doll collector stereotypes, and Mitchell ends up breaking all their dolls, hardy har
[close]
. I guess it's hypocritical for me to chafe at this after having devoured the first season of Vice Principals in a couple of days, but it does seem to go against the appeal of such a pleasant, gentle, breezy show.

That's what has put me off about the recent seasons, it doesn't fit the series ethos and there are a lot of moments (often including Luke and Manny, though sometimes Jay) which are downright unpleasant. And the supposedly cute emotional bits feel far more forced than they ever used to.

Penfold

I gave up on Modern Family after the christmas episode in the lodge or cabin a couple of years ago. Luke became awful.

I've also given up on The Mick. Too many awful characters and the cuteness of the kid isn't saving it anymore.

New Girl is still great and it'll be a shame if it's over.