Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:13:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Record Store Day 2017

Started by Serge, March 21, 2017, 07:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

Over 500 releases! Thank fuck I don't work in a record shop any more.

List here. (I've linked to the NME site because the RSD site is taking forever to load at the minute.)

Yes! I'm sure you'll be queuing around the block for such delights as:

* Dayglo Pink 'Barbie Girl' 7" by Aqua. Plus their LP!
* Nine - count 'em! - Peter Hook & The Light live albums!!
* Yet another set of reissues of the stuff Pink Floyd recorded for 'Tonite Let's All Make Love In London'
* An Ocean Colour Scene live album!
* A Fawlty Towers picture disc! (Presumably a repressing of one of the old LPs that you can pick up second hand for £2 or £3 but on coloured vinyl with a picture of John Cleese on for about £25!)
* That Laura Marling live album at York Minster that's been available on vinyl for years!
* Something that sounds suspiciously like the Sex Pistols' 'Spunk' bootleg repressed AGAIN!!!!!!
* Toto's 'Africa' on an Africa-shaped picture disc!
* An album of William Onyeabor songs by people who aren't William Onyeabor!

There are a handful of things I wouldn't mind getting - the Bowie and Springsteen live albums, and some of the compilations sound interesting - but, the Bowie LP apart, nothing that I can't live without, either. I'm going to be at the Nottingham meet on the day anyway, so won't get near a record shop, but I presume some of you might risk it? (And there are bound to be things on the list that mean nothing to me that will be right up other people's street - e.g. the Television Personalities albums.)

But again - thank fuck I don't work in a record shop any more.

jobotic

There's something about reading these RSD lists that is utterly dispiriting.

non capisco

I'll probably be queuing for that Springsteen one, like the chump I am. One of his best ever versions of Thunder Road is on that thing, to be fair.

Panbaams

I think I'm going to try to get the Brian Jonestown Massacre album, but the reams and reams of names of bands and artists that I don't recognise is a bit dispiriting. Reading the RSD release list is like that Armando Iannucci sketch about getting old coming to life, where Smash Hits looks like it's written in a different language.

I enjoy the attempt at hype building of "Mystery Artist Release : TBC – 12″ Single 140gm Black Vinyl".

Support your local record shop, obviously, but 500 releases in one day does seem crazy. Why can't RSD be four times a year, or something? 

BlodwynPig

I bet there is a Mastodon picture disc.

Can't be arsed with this shit anymore.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

...although the Autocreation album on LP....

purlieu

There's a new FSOL triple album in there.

jobotic

Those three Bevis Frond albums are good, I assume they are long deleted?

phantom_power

How does all this work then? Will my local record shop have just a selection of what is on offer or do you order what you want from a list?

Captain Z

Quote from: phantom_power on March 22, 2017, 12:35:06 PM
How does all this work then? Will my local record shop have just a selection of what is on offer or do you order what you want from a list?

Obviously on RSD you can't expect to just walk into your local store and find a copy of the thing you wanted in stock. Your best bet is to stay at home until the evening and buy it on eBay for double the price.

imitationleather

That nine Peter Hook & the Light live albums one is a really weird one. I did see Peter Hook & the Light do Unknown Pleasures (an album I'm not overly fond of) when they first formed and it was a lot better than I was expecting, with Peter Hook being a far more capable frontman than I was anticipating. I don't really like gigs where bands play albums all the way through, although I would have liked to have gone to the recent Substance tour as that's more of a retrospective of their glory days (apparently Substance was released in the first place because Tony Wilson wanted a New Order release to play on the CD player in his new car, a format none of their LPs were yet available on, and so got them to release that as they didn't want to do a traditional best of album - not sure how true that story is, though), rather than just a normal album gig. I guess these RSD releases have very short runs, but it seems to me there's an element of him wanting to claim back some ownership of Joy Division and New Order stuff and his part in it.

In the original version of his book about New Order, Substance, he wanted to include the set lists of every single New Order gig (that he was involved in) in the appendix. The publishers rejected this as it would basically double in size what is already a huge book and probably be of interest to very, very few people. Maybe it's partly his age and wanting to compile a complete and obsessive record of what happened, but I reckon him now being on the outside of New Order when he thinks he is a completely integral part of it (which he arguably definitely is) and that from his point of view it's nonsensical they've continued without him.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Captain Z on March 22, 2017, 01:03:33 PM
Your best bet is to stay at home until the evening and buy it on eBay for double the price.

Or wait a couple of months and buy them at cost price.

The whole RSD thing is an embarrassment now and I really hope more bands, labels, shops and customers just fuck it off. I know I'm repeating what we all say every year but it's not just the sub-standard product (Aqua, Men Without Hats etc) it's the ridiculously exorbitant prices that labels charge. Record Store Day pretends it's about setting aside one day a year to celebrate local/ independent record shops but in reality it's about setting aside one day a year to charge an extra 30% for a 7" single or an extra tenner an album. And it's often independent labels doing this. If Fire sell those reissued TVPs albums for less than 20 quid, I'll be amazed[nb]Well, not amazed, but definitely surprised.[/nb].

Also, Norman Records aren't allowed to participate this year, which seems a bit rum.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 22, 2017, 01:32:11 PM

A local independent always has shelves & shelves of RSD LP & 12" releases on a 50% or less sale about 6-8mths after their release. They still have RSD 2016 & a smattering of 2015 releases in a sale, so the prices are likely to drop again before long.

As an aside, Simon Raymonde is pretty narked at Universal/UMC reissuing the Cocteau Twins Milk & Kisses + Four-Calendar Cafe LPs without letting him know.

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: Captain Z on March 22, 2017, 01:03:33 PMYour best bet is to stay at home until the evening and buy it on eBay for double the price.

Usually my preferred option, though money is a little tighter this year - and I'm hoping to attend the Nottingham CaB meet on that very day too, so am tempted to head to Rough Trade early on. Am already envisaging leaving my hard-won purchases in a Notts boozer somewhere.

What's the usual run of things if you actually visit a shop on RSD? Should I camp out overnight with a deck chair and a flask of soup? Does Paul Weller or Billy Bragg or someone usually amble along mid-morning carrying a guitar? Will Nottingham RT have The Fall's 'Live at Clitheroe' album in stock? How many punters do I have to fight to get copies of the Bowie records? Or should I just order online the morning after the meet?

McQ

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 22, 2017, 01:32:11 PM

The whole RSD thing is an embarrassment now and I really hope more bands, labels, shops and customers just fuck it off. I know I'm repeating what we all say every year but it's not just the sub-standard product (Aqua, Men Without Hats etc) it's the ridiculously exorbitant prices that labels charge. Record Store Day pretends it's about setting aside one day a year to celebrate local/ independent record shops but in reality it's about setting aside one day a year to charge an extra 30% for a 7" single or an extra tenner an album. And it's often independent labels doing this. If Fire sell those reissued TVPs albums for less than 20 quid, I'll be amazed[nb]Well, not amazed, but definitely surprised.[/nb].

Also, Norman Records aren't allowed to participate this year, which seems a bit rum.

Why aren't they allowed to participate? That's odd!

My tactic for the last few years is to just ignore it, and then see what's left when the online sales start happening a week later (usually through Norman Records), which usually works quite well because evidently I have marginal tastes, so everything that I want ends up still being left over.

I queued up one year, though, but only because I went to a gig right around the corner from the record shop that ended at four in the morning, and it seemed daft to go home and come back again. Feels like I'm talking about a different person! I'd never do that now.

Serge

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on March 22, 2017, 02:21:50 PMWhat's the usual run of things if you actually visit a shop on RSD? Should I camp out overnight with a deck chair and a flask of soup? Does Paul Weller or Billy Bragg or someone usually amble along mid-morning carrying a guitar? Will Nottingham RT have The Fall's 'Live at Clitheroe' album in stock? How many punters do I have to fight to get copies of the Bowie records? Or should I just order online the morning after the meet?

Going by my experience at Nottingham Rough Trade last year, there will be a queue in the morning, but it'll be nothing like as mad as the queues that Rough Trade in Brick Lane got/get. This is based on what my friends at the shop told me, I didn't get there until early afternoon, when I just walked in and picked up the Charles Bradley album that I wanted (they had plenty left). Wouldn't like to say how many copies of the Fall LP they'll get, if any. Unless you're first in the queue, don't get your hopes up about the Bowie album (though as holyzombiejesus rightly remarks, it'll more than likely mysteriously 'become available' again at a future date). Rough Trade aren't likely to put anything online for at least a week after the event. Billy Bragg did just amble in (with a guitar) at the first RSD event we had at Rough Trade in London, though to be fair, he was the headlining act that day. He was absolutely fantastic, a really nice guy and gave me the thumbs up on his way out of the shop. Paul Weller came around the back after we'd cleared the store when he played. I didn't get anywhere near him.

Interesting about the Norman Records thing.....

holyzombiejesus

Announcement: Record Store Day 2017
Unfortunately we will not be taking part in Record Store Day 2017.
This is because....well...we're not allowed. RSD's organisers have decided that shops such as ours (i.e. predominantly online rather than purely physical) won't be allowed to take part. We're very disappointed but we accept the decision.
So, please, support your local record store by getting your RSD stuff from one of the many excellent shops that are taking part. If you're based in Leeds then that means Jumbo or Crash...you'll have more fun there than in our concrete jail anyway.
However, all is not completely lost! We're hopeful of getting some stock to sell just after the online event on Saturday 29th April. We're not sure what we'll be able to get, but as soon as it's on our site we'll let you know. Please ensure that you sign up for our email alerts to be kept informed.
Furthermore, to keep ourselves busy throughout April we'll be announcing our own series of exclusives and promotions. More on this soon....
Apologies to all our loyal customers who get Record Store Day stuff from us each year, and thank you for your custom in the past. We'd love to be able to take part again this year, but the circumstances are completely out of our control on this one - sorry!

Ambient Sheep

More on the Cocteau Twins re-release hoo-hah here:

http://pitchfork.com/news/72420-cocteau-twins-simon-raymonde-says-he-didnt-know-about-his-bands-record-store-day-reissues/

Predictably enough, neither Fraser nor even Guthrie knew about it either.

ArtParrott

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 23, 2017, 02:51:53 PM
More on the Cocteau Twins re-release hoo-hah here:

http://pitchfork.com/news/72420-cocteau-twins-simon-raymonde-says-he-didnt-know-about-his-bands-record-store-day-reissues/

Predictably enough, neither Fraser nor even Guthrie knew about it either.

It's so slimy isn't it. The RSD list also has some Spacemen 3 reissues on a shady label with a litigious record when it comes to their former charges.

PaulTMA

Think I might stay in and have a Record Store Day Wank.

Crabwalk

Start ridiculously early for an ultimately disappointing release?

Surrounded by sweaty men admiring each others' 7 inches?

Sorry, those are shit.

Serge

A record shop I follow on The Facebook has put a post up concerning releases that are now not going to be available on RSD:

QuoteGeorgie Fame R&B at the Ricky Tick 65
Harry South Big Band Songbook
The Animals Five Animals Dont Stop No Show
The Hollies Shake With The Hollies
Various Soho Scene 61 Jazz Goes Mod
Various Soho Scene 65 Jazz Goes Mod
Various Mighty R&B Instrumentals Two-Parters
Dick Morrissey Jazz For Moderns 1962
The Small Faces Broadcast 66 EP
The Zombies Broadcast 66 EP
The Byrds Do You Believe In Magic?
The Sorrows Germany 65 EP
The Koobas Live In Germany
John Mayall´s Bluesbreakers Broadcast 65 EP
The Spencer Davis Group Rambling Rose EP
Brian Auger With The Soul Sisters EP
PPK Tall Stories of The Only Ones with Robert Palmer
Fall, The Live in Clitheroe 2013

So if you were only after the Fall album, you can have a lie-in now!

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Just seen a shop put up the list of what they've managed to get and how much it'll cost. Equivalent of £18 for the Beatles strawberry fields/penny lane 7"... Don't know if it'll be a similar cost back home in Britain but that's fucking shocking.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Just looked up the price list on a place in Bristol and the Beatles one's £13, still outrageous for a 7".

Who on earth is paying £32 for a fucking Emeli Sandé live album?

The usual Bowie stuff, except they're 20% more than they would have been if he hadn't snuffed it, and there's naturally a stack of Prince reissues.

And Serge's prediction was correct. £25 for Fawlty Towers.

This is a sham. It was always a bit brass necked but at least there were a lot of decent records. Cool exclusives/one offs. Now it's just labels flooding the market for one day with a bunch of tat for twice the price it all used to be 6-7 years ago.

Serge

Yeah, Rough Trade are knocking the Beatles 7" out for £14.99. The record companies know that with certain artists - Beatles, Bowie, etc - they can charge whatever they like and know that there are enough obsessives out there to lap them up. They're doing a reissue programme of all of Bowie's singles 40 years on from their original release, but on picture disc, and usually charging at least a tenner a pop. As people know I love Bowie, I've had people assuming that I'm hoovering up every one, overlooking the fact that I already own all of these songs at least three times over and also that I fucking hate picture discs. But we used to sell out of every one, so somebody's buying them. I assume a second-hand version of 'Strawberry Fields Forever'/'Penny Lane' can be found quite cheaply, if you're not looking for an original copy, so why anybody would buy this is beyond me.

I will be giving this a complete miss this year. I was in London a fortnight ago and bought about a dozen records for about £100, and they're records I'll actually want to play more than once.

momatt

I had to read the listing for the Aqua LP several times before I believed it.  Maybe there's a huge fanbase for them I'm unaware of?  I'd be surprised though.  Madness.

This year there are only two releases I want[nb]Arthur Verocai and Goldie/Burial[/nb].  So not really worth queuing for.  It's a quandary.  Not sure what to do.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: ArtParrott on March 23, 2017, 03:44:57 PM
It's so slimy isn't it. The RSD list also has some Spacemen 3 reissues on a shady label with a litigious record when it comes to their former charges.

I wouldn't mind those.

In general this day is a bit of a pain in the arse. It just keeps the few pressing plants we have left locked up in preparation knocking out 'rarities' of bands from decades ago. As if it wasn't bad enough that they're knocking out represses of things like dark side of the moon and rumours to be sold in sainburys (hint: go to nearly any charity shop and you can bag them).

I have to admit I am a little guilty of buying represses that don't really need to exist at times, but it can be a bit of a no-brainer when you can get a sealed pressing from amazon for about the same price as a gamble on a discogs sellers' definition of 'VG+'.

holyzombiejesus

Is there anything that anyone desperately wants?

momatt

Yes.

So what are the good alternatives to Rough Trade this year?  Does anywhere else make their list of available titles public in advance?