Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:11:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Live brass eye screening

Started by Bobloblawslawbomb, March 23, 2017, 06:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armful

Just seen this. I may have to  go. Shame its not going to be on TV  as I am dead lazy 

acrow

i too will be going if i can get a ticket. sounds right good. thanks for the heads up. someone buy me a ticket?

weekender

QuoteBrass Eye...originally ran for seven episdes in 1997

No it didn't.

up_the_hampipe

Sounds great. I'll try to get tickets but it'll probably sell out fast. Says in the article that it's a premiere, so presumably it'll be released widely later? Hope it's not just a one-off thing, although it wouldn't be surprising.

Pepotamo1985

Yeah, doubt this is a one off.

olliebean

It does say "designed solely for live screenings" - not sure exactly what that means but if it means screenings with a live Q&A afterwards, a widespread release seems unlikely.

Noddy Tomkey

With or without a Q+A I reckon this'll be shown across the country, eventually. Why do all that work for one screening?

BJB

BlodwynPig

billtheburger

It looks as though myself and a few of my comrades are planning on going to this.
I hope many verbwhores put in an appearance, too.

The Giggling Bean

I really want to go I just need to arrange a travelling companion for it before I get tickets.

The Giggling Bean

Balls, can't make it as it's the same day as my friends daughters christening. I thought it was an evening event but it's from 2pm to 8pm so I'm already booked. Bah.

hard rocx and mettals

Got my ticket. Gorilla's a decent venue to be sat in for 6 hours.

Shaky

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on March 25, 2017, 11:23:53 AM
Balls, can't make it as it's the same day as my friends daughters christening. I thought it was an evening event but it's from 2pm to 8pm so I'm already booked. Bah.

Just don't go. You've been on this site longer than the child has been alive. Show some loyalty.

Porter Dimi

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on March 25, 2017, 11:23:53 AM

Tell your friend that Chris Morris is real and God isn't?

This little clip turned up on Michael Cumming's YouTube channel a few months back.  Remarkably prescient if it hasn't been put together retrospectively.

touchingcloth

Gorilla. What's Gorilla? No more fucking details about the venue given than its stupid fucking name.

Noddy Tomkey

I think you're being serious, so try http://www.thisisgorilla.com

It is a stupid name.

dmillburn

I went to a Michael Cummings screening and Q&A in Wolverhampton this evening where we got to see an episode of Toast, the Brass Eye Drugs episode as originally aired and, most importantly, an edit of Oxide Ghosts. The edited version was maybe 40 minutes or so as opposed to the full hour (I'm not totally sure as it flew by) and absolutely brilliant - anyone going to Gorilla is in for a real treat as there's some absolute gold in there.

I'll post some more tomorrow when I'm in front of my pc, but there's loads of outtakes from bits already in the show plus other completely new bits such as a section about golf caddies being abused. It's also packed with brilliant  footage of Morris corpsing throughout.

Cummings was great - completely engaging throughout, and gave some good answers to the questions at the end.

dmillburn

If anyone is interested here a bit more on some of the contents of the edit of Oxide Ghosts from last night- spoilered for those lucky enough to be going to see the full version at Gorilla. We were apparently the first people to see it apart from Michael Cummings himself, Chris Morris (who he said approved of it and actually got a bit emotional watching it) and one member of his family. It's been edited together from hundreds of hours of unseen Brass Eye footage on VHS tapes that he's had kept in a trunk for the last couple of decades. In a little insight into the filing process afterwards he said there was so much footage because over the 2 year production they would shot maybe 30 minutes of film for a part which was then edited down to a minute or two - they'd get the scripted versions done first then carry on filming and improvising around it.

Spoiler alert
It opens with narration by Michael telling the story of him meeting Chris Morris in a cafe for the first time. There's narration throughout as well as elements from scripts that appear on screen briefly etc, but it's mainly about the raw footage itself. The running time is split between unseen sketches (like the aforementioned golf caddy abuse one and a good few minutes from Sutcliffe! The Musical), unused outtakes from segments we have already seen (loads including more weasel fighting/fox hunting/drug buying/celeb baiting stuff including some great unseen David Sullivan footage) and loads of footage of Chris Morris corpsing at stuff (one particular highlight was the Mike Fox elephant link from animals where the elephant unleashes a torrent of piss all over the the studio and Chris calls it something like a "massive pisstank"). There's also some clips from Right to Reply with Bruno Brooks complaining about being duped in the Cake episode and Michael Grade talking about the episode
[close]

The Q & A was great, and gave us a number of insights that I hadn't previously known. Again I'll spoiler it because I suspect this will probably come up at the Manchester Q & A.

Spoiler alert
Someone asked if there was any celebrity stings that didn't work and he said there really wasn't - only one he could remember properly sussing it was Toyah Wilcox for the Carla segment in Animals who basically said "that's ridiculous, I won't read that but I will say something else". He also thought Chris Eubank sussed something wasn't right too after he moved an interview from Brighton beach to a hotel. The policy was that if anyone sussed them out at all then they didn't use the footage, so everyone shown in the broadcast versions was properly duped
[close]

Spoiler alert
As mentioned in the Disgusting Bliss book, the All Saints Road drug dealers were real and Michael elaborated on the "is it wood?" bit that's covered in the book where he and a researcher were sold little bits of wood instead of hash for two night in a row prior to the filming, hence the dealer assuring him it wasn't. He seemed to recall that Chris did end up giving him money and getting sold wood for a third time. It's mentioned in Oxide Ghosts that Morris has a copy of Vogue in his jacket to supposedly protect him if thing turned a bit stabby, and Michael said this was because they'd read an article where this had saved someone from a knife attack in similar circumstances 
[close]

He was asked about the plans for Oxide Ghosts for the future and said that it existed in a bit of grey area as neither of them actually owned the footage, but it was designed to be a transient thing - neither of them wanted it to become "a thing you could own" and they both liked the idea of the only way to see it being at a screening, so it's never going to be uploaded, shown on tv or available anywhere else. He did mention that neither of them are looking to monetize it so they hoped it would get shown elsewhere in the country eventually.

I'm desperately trying not to stray into hyperbole but to be shown all this footage 20 years after broadcast was just such a treat. Although Michael said that they still felt that most of the footage they cut themselves (as opposed to the bits Channel 4 backtracked on) was done for the right reasons, the standard of the unseen bits is fantastic for the most part. The best part for me though was just seeing Chris Morris pissing himself laughing all the way though. I'd say it's pretty much essential viewing for anyone here and I will certainly go to another screening, assuming there is more, for another watch and there was a lot to take in. I have to say Michael Cummings came across brilliantly and seemed a really lovely man too, and he seemed genuinely happy to be there (the event was organised by the Wolves University alumni society where he'd been studying and first got into film making etc).

I'll shut up now as I don't want to ruin too much of it, just go and see it.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on March 29, 2017, 11:00:10 PM
I think you're being serious, so try http://www.thisisgorilla.com

It is a stupid name.

Thanks. Manchester and all, I assumed it would be in London. Oh well, next time!

wosl

Quote from: Darles Chickens on March 28, 2017, 08:21:03 AM
This little clip turned up on Michael Cumming's YouTube channel a few months back.  Remarkably prescient if it hasn't been put together retrospectively.

Either a Photoshop made from bits of shots of three separate entries in the dropped Bounty Clinic personal organiser pocketed by Ted Maul..

..or a shot of a custom made entry done on the same type of organiser, inserted into a rip of the segment.

neveragain

God, I hope this tours a bit.

acrow

thanks for your effusive review dmillburn. some kind benefactor procured a ticket for me. was excited before and i'm even more excited now.

Thomas

This sounds brilliant. This is exactly the sort of content I want to be seeing.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Stuck abroad and this sounds amazing. Gutted! Is this a really brief run of screenings?

Caprilusa

Hey, I got two tickets for the screening in Manchester but something's come up and I can't go. Physical tickets delivered to my house an' all. Anyone want them?

I'm very disappointed in myself and, frankly, Chris Morris for not foreseeing the problems of me having to do a London-Leicester-Manchester-London trip in the space of 2 days 20 years after the show aired. Shame on him.

dfurnell

Hi all if anyone has a spare ticket or two do let me know would love to go but only now realise I am free on Sunday. I assume above tickets have gone.