Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Started by MoonDust, March 24, 2017, 12:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoonDust

New film from Martin McDonagh (In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths) so I'm excited.

Trailer looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jit3YhGx5pU

Sal Vicuso

Trailer makes it look very very good. Loved In Bruges, thought 7 Psychos was a POS but this has all the makings of fantastic

Serge

That is an impressive cast (even if two of them were in 'Seven Psychopaths' too, which I also wasn't keen on). Can't seem to find a release date, though.

Puce Moment

This looks splendid - although I had to turn off the trailer after about 30secs when I realised it was a blow-by-blow account of the film.

QDRPHNC

Didn't like In Bruges, wanted to have it's cake and eat it too. We're meant to identify with and appreciate Farrell's inner turmoil then cheer him on as he offs some other bloke, whose only crime seems to be not being as deep or interesting as Colin Farrell.

kidsick5000

I can't wait for this (even after being burned by Seven Psycopaths' overly-wackiness).
A very different kind of revenge film.

Impressively, going by the start of the trailer,  they've also found American Zammo

MoonDust

Agreed on Seven Psychopaths not being good, but this film certainly looks to make up for it. Can't wait.

As for a release date, Serge, there isn't one yet. I assume it's some time this year, though. Maybe summer or late spring.

chand

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 25, 2017, 05:13:33 PM
Didn't like In Bruges, wanted to have it's cake and eat it too. We're meant to identify with and appreciate Farrell's inner turmoil then cheer him on as he offs some other bloke, whose only crime seems to be not being as deep or interesting as Colin Farrell.

Yeah, I didn't really get the love for In Bruges, I think largely because I never find Colin Farrell as loveable as I'm supposed to. 7 Psychopaths was fun though, a deeply silly film but there's definitely a place for that. I like the look of this though, Frances Mcdormand is always great.

Twit 2

This looks great. Looks like some cunt-kicking in there, not enough of that in films. The Guard is the best either of these brothers have come up with so far.

Twit 2

surreal

MoonDust

Bumping because the other thread is still going, despite this being linked to twice.

Boo!

mothman

I thought I just posted here. Or is this the other one? Oh, I'm so confused...

DukeDeMondo

Is this like a contest? See which thread gets more replies? Because it's neck and neck.

Small Man Big Horse

New McDonagh film.

Pretty good. Excellent strong female lead, the usual bleak gallows humour. Slightly unsatisfying plot and the last half an hour flits between moments of poignancy and stretching credibility. Also there are some really under-drawn characters, particularly the chiefs wife who has the ropiest attempt at an American accent you will see for some time, but worse than that just has no particular identity. Clarke Peters is wasted too.

Well worth a watch for the laughs and for the blistering courage and determination of the central character.

Twit 2

Saw it tonight - absolutely blinding. Fantastic ensemble cast, wonderfully rounded characters - and it went in so many unexpected directions. My favourite McDonagh film by far, and a happy return to quality after the patchy, tossed-off-feeling Seven Psychopaths.

Z

Saw the trailer for this at the Florida Project over the weekend, pretty concerned all the best pieces were packed into the trailer but it looked fantastic.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 11, 2017, 09:39:13 PM
Also there are some really under-drawn characters, particularly the chiefs wife who has the ropiest attempt at an American accent you will see for some time

Well if you can see her accent you might have synesthesia. But i didn't think she was trying to be American. Wasn't she supposed to be Australian or New Zealandinian or something?

non capisco

Seems wildly divisive. I've seen both five and one star reviews from respected critics on Letterboxd. The Filmspotting fellas appear to have hated it. That kind of reaction definitely makes me want to watch it more than something like George Clooney's 'Suburbicon' which got two star reviews and then a few people going "nah, it's not actually that bad".

Just as long as it's better than his brother's last film 'War On Everyone' which really was charmless, punishingly unamusing dogshit.

Twit 2

Looking forward to this - I was so excited for Seven Psychopaths but even right in the eye of my McDonagh fandom found it bloated and self-regarding.

DukeDeMondo

I never did get round to the Seven Psychopaths. Meant to, like, but. Maybe this weekend is the man for the job.

Junglist

Its out there and available if you are filthy scum like me

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Junglist on December 27, 2017, 12:49:35 AM
Its out there and available if you are filthy scum like me

Ah I love this time of year, I noticed that I Tonya, Ladybird and Blade Runner 2049 have all gone up over the past 24 hours or so.

Twit 2

I was a huge fan of In Bruges and had more time for Seven Psychopaths than most, but I didn't love this one.  It was a bit all-over-the-place, I thought.  Obviously McDonagh's "thing" is blending quite dark dramatic elements with goofy comedy, but the balance in this one felt completely off - as if he'd written a few drafts in his traditional style and was then advised by someone to double down on the dramatic elements for awards recognition, centering as it does around several of today's hot topics (police corruption, rape/domestic abuse, race issues etc.)

So the tone is really bizarre.  Not only did I find the drama itself to be often a bit po-faced and overblown, but any notes that did work would be almost immediately offset by tonally-misplaced "zany" comic moments and characters acting completely ... well, uncharacteristically.  Like I said, it really does feel like two different films playing out and competing for attention simultaneously.  The last twenty minutes in particular are utterly baffling, containing a fair few "Oh fuck off!" moments.  Some of the dialogue was absolutely honking as well, I thought, especially when otherwise "simple country folk" start talking almost poetically at random.  You can buy that off a character like Brendan Gleeson's in In Bruges, but not at all from Woody Harrelson's in this.  I don't know if that's a case of the actors not selling it right or as a result of McDonagh's direction and/or inability to not inject his own voice into characters it doesn't suit, but certain lines really had me cringing.

For some positives:  despite the genuinely "what the fuck" inclusion of Abbie Cornish, the performances were all pretty good, even though it felt as if everyone had played their characters before in other things (Mac's Mom from Always Sunny In Philadelphia is literally Mac's Mom in this).  And, despite often being tonally misjudged, some of it was quite funny.  So there's that.  Overall, though, I thought it was overlong and inconsistent and I don't believe it would've been nearly as strong an Oscar contender in previous years, but there really is fuckall else this time around.

Junglist

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 27, 2017, 01:13:41 AM
Ah I love this time of year, I noticed that I Tonya, Ladybird and Blade Runner 2049 have all gone up over the past 24 hours or so.

I, Tonya is really really fucking good.

Head Gardener

I'm looking forward to a Cineworld preview next week, I notice screeners of this are also up on the torrents

Steven

Yeah, was looking forward to this from the trailer as it seemed quite a dark comedy but it's just a bit of a mess. The comedy element is left wanting, literally hee-larious Life's Too Short stuff like `imagine being blackmailed into going on a date with a midget?' which we already have had quite a bit of from In Bruges, and the drama never really goes anywhere - just tonally shifting crab-like between one or t'other without much momentum being built up. The initial premise was interesting but is largely stillborn, and after several non-believable character about-turns along in the narrative you can't really empathise much with the characters who swap motivations on a dime, the end is also an odd and nasty non-resolve.