Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:22:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Fake Cartoons"

Started by Quincey, March 27, 2017, 12:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Is any fake cartoon worse than the Apaches or DON'T BE A DUMMY, DON'T PLAY WITH FIREWORKS! public information films being aired without warning between Rupert and Pobb?

Viero_Berlotti

Heh, I did actually show my daughter some of the old 70s fireworks PIFs last bonfire night.

Quincey

Personally I find the idea of a young child having to watch a beloved character be tortured because her parents aren't careful enough on the internet upsetting.

There's so much horrible TV for adults as well, I kind of like the optimism and innocence of children's shows and it seems sad when people spoil this.

The Mirror say that 41% of children aged 6 are using the internet without supervision - is this because so many have smartphones?

Beagle 2

All my mates have given their kids tablets immediately upon them becoming sentient. The only words my friend's daughter can say are 'mummy' 'dada' and 'video'. She chases them around pleading 'vid-e-o, vid-e-o'. Kinda bleak, but my kid's just a blob at the moment so I don't know the pain of having to keep them quiet. Definitely more up for plonking them in front of the telly with stuff I've put on than giving them a machine with liveleak on it though.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Quincey on March 28, 2017, 09:20:47 PM
Personally I find the idea of a young child having to watch a beloved character be tortured because her parents aren't careful enough on the internet upsetting.

There's so much horrible TV for adults as well, I kind of like the optimism and innocence of children's shows and it seems sad when people spoil this.

The Mirror say that 41% of children aged 6 are using the internet without supervision - is this because so many have smartphones?

I think it's mainly ipads, tablets and the like. As a parent I know how convenient it can be, when the house is a fucking tip and there are huge piles of washing and ironing to do, to just pass a kid the ipad and let them browse YouTube with the kid's filter on for a hour while you get shit done with no hassle. You would not believe how much kids just seem to love watching videos of people opening Kinder Eggs and the like.

It's not worth it though as there's that much unregulated crap on there, and as this 'fake cartoons' phenomena has proven, juvenile pricks find it a challenge to get things through the filter.

momatt

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 28, 2017, 10:28:53 PM
All my mates have given their kids tablets immediately upon them becoming sentient. The only words my friend's daughter can say are 'mummy' 'dada' and 'video'. She chases them around pleading 'vid-e-o, vid-e-o'.

I've got mates who do this.  TV on all day, ignored by all.  The whole family lazily prodding at phones and tablet without any real interest in them.  The expensive phones and tablet usually last about 6 months, before being dented, shattered and dribbled on to destruction.
Another mate bought his 4-year old son a MacBook.  Within a week he filled it with orange juice and flushed the power cable down the toilet.  Because that's what 4-year olds do.  My mate's an idiot.

I've also got mates who ration out TV.  An hour or so a day, where the kids are immediately silenced and transfixed, appreciating every second.  Seems like a more sensible route to me.

Of course it's easy for me to judge...
But fun too.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 28, 2017, 10:28:53 PMliveleak
Holy shit, that's a site you want to block from kids straight away!

madhair60

I had a small keyring that could play a hooky version of Tetris and I turned out OK (emotionally destitute)

Billy

This was one of my brother's favourite games on the then-new internet back in 2000, when we were around 10-11 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX1rN2CDsIs

Nowhere near as graphic as I remember it but it stood out a hell of a lot at the time. I remember not being sure whether to be amused or horrified by it.

Obel

Hahah! I remember that!

I don't think its intention was ever to be horrific. That kind of thing was just a reaction to the weird, happy style of something like Teletubbies. Just being able to shoot them was a silly, cathartic thing for teenagers to do while staying late at school in the library because there was no internet at home. The novelty of it was funny, albeit short lived.