Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,468
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:10:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The indie also ran thread

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, March 27, 2017, 04:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Neomod on March 27, 2017, 08:46:40 PM
They were great live. Blonde violinist #2 was cute as I recall. I enjoyed his Anthony Newley stylings but yes they were also rans. Last I heard of Jake Shillingford was on this KPM Britpop album doing a Blur pastiche. Ouch.

Another vote here for Sophie's theaudience. I bought the first 3 singles from the overpriced Tower in Camden, where I was living[nb]Camden, not Tower Records[/nb] and stood next to her mum at their 100 club gig.

I'd like to be able to re-create that night I saw them but it just wouldn't be the same, even if I did get drunk. Shame really. I do know another Shillingford though. I was at school with him. They're not related though, unless it's very distantly.

Sophie herself walked straight past me when they played the Boardwalk in Sheffield. I fainted.

In a similar way to MLS, I saw Regular Fries while off my head (not only on drink this time) at a festival and was very impressed. And again I was a bit disappointed when I heard their records later.

New page sleeperbloke

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 27, 2017, 07:37:18 PM
I really like theaudience's album and it still gets the odd play to this day, it's a real shame Sophie went solo and then so bland.

Billy Reeves left and then she was told the band could only continue as a Texas clone.

armful

The Crockett's . I loved them back in the day and love them now. Lucifer is my fave track

Neomod

Quote from: Jockice on March 27, 2017, 09:52:42 PM
Sophie herself walked straight past me when they played the Boardwalk in Sheffield. I fainted.

In a similar way to MLS, I saw Regular Fries while off my head (not only on drink this time) at a festival and was very impressed. And again I was a bit disappointed when I heard their records later.

New page sleeperbloke

How odd. I saw Sophie in Camden once on my way to get a bagel and she had the same effect. My mate Pat was in Regular Fries.

Anyway.

Silver Sun
World of Leather

and sadly

David Devant & His Spirit Wife.

armful

Also the Upper Room. They sank after one album, but what an album it was

purlieu

Quote from: chocky909 on March 27, 2017, 09:16:31 PM
Symposium.
Had a second wind when most of them became Hell is for Heroes, of course.

Serge

Quote from: jobotic on March 27, 2017, 08:35:37 PMSwervedriver and Curve - never saw any point in them.

I liked Swervedriver. Looking back, the only reason I ever made any attempt with Curve was because Toni Halliday was blinking gorgeous. I had that massive Melody Maker poster of her on my wall despite probably only owning a couple of 12"s and only ever listening to them about twice.

Quote from: Danger Man on March 27, 2017, 08:51:07 PMCampag Velocet

Pete Voss once came into a shop that I worked in and asked if we had any books on Trader Vics. We didn't.

Does anybody remember Wonky Alice? Their one album was pretty good. And did anybody other than me ever buy 'Picnic' by The Badgers?

Brundle-Fly

Crashland

I remember a very unfavourable NME piece about them during their fifteen seconds of fame. The main thrust of the article was the reporter announcing that out of all the most witless, non-descript, say-nothing, arrogant indie bands he'd ever interviewed, Crashland take the crown. Sounds like the first time a journalist walked out an interview.

jobotic

I saw Curve once, at ULU. I must have gone for whatever the main act was. Toni Halliday was gorgeous but my girlfriend then was gorgeouser in my eyes so even that wasn't an attraction.

Bands like Th' Faith Healers - hardly also rans are they? They would only ever have limited interest but in that limit they were big time, and well regarded now - quite rightly too!

Absorb the anus burn

The Popinjays.
Airhead.
1000 Yard Stare.
Kingmaker.
Top.
The Family Gotown.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jockice on March 27, 2017, 08:21:07 PM
I saw My Life Story before hearing any of their records, on a night when I was uncharacteristically absolutely bladdered and thought they were the greatest act in the history of music. Then I heard the records....

They always were a far better live band and the records never quite captured the energy of their performances. And we don't talk about the third album at all, but I'd say The Golden Mile is worth purchasing, along with Sparkle and 12 Reasons why there's a couple of real gems like November 5th and You Can't Uneat The Apple.

Quote from: Neomod on March 27, 2017, 09:56:20 PM
and sadly

David Devant & His Spirit Wife.

There's no need for sadness here! I mean some of the jokier songs are a bit much (I never got on with Ginger, for instance) but I love quite a lot of Work, Lovelife, Miscellaneous. And they too were a smashing live band, what with all the ridiculousness that the Iceman used to be involved with on stage.

Add me to the list of Strangelove fans, only saw them once but it was a fantastic night and the two albums they released around 97 / 98 were things of loveliness.

Quote from: armful on March 27, 2017, 09:55:53 PM
The Crockett's . I loved them back in the day and love them now. Lucifer is my fave track

Blimey, not thought about them in ages, but I do remember being very fond of "Will You Still Care For Me?" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tATKeZEa0 - it's a great post break up song.

Neomod

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 27, 2017, 10:59:28 PM
There's no need for sadness here! I mean some of the jokier songs are a bit much (I never got on with Ginger, for instance) but I love quite a lot of Work, Lovelife, Miscellaneous. And they too were a smashing live band, what with all the ridiculousness that the Iceman used to be involved with on stage.

Oh I meant sad in that they weren't bigger. The spectral roadies were indeed a highlight. Saw them many times.

alan nagsworth

Hm...

Pink Grease
Hope of the States
Rocket Science

Am I doing it properly?

phantom_power

Out of my Hair
Delakota
Candidate

All bands that I like to some degree who are unknown to 99% of the population

the midnight watch baboon

Electrasy.
Dream City Film Club.
Me Me Me.
The Boyfriends.

Silly name... Doomy shit stained sunglasses... Alex James project... Smiths limpets

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Neomod on March 27, 2017, 11:11:25 PM
Oh I meant sad in that they weren't bigger. The spectral roadies were indeed a highlight. Saw them many times.

Ah, with you now, and I did as well, at least until one time in 2000 when they were down to a foursome and performing in jumpers. Thankfully that sort of 'unplugged' version of the band didn't last for long and they're back to being much more theatrical now, I know they still gig occasionally and really must get round to seeing them again.

Hope of the States would have done better but for one of them being dead.

How about Starsailer? Or Athlete.

armful

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 27, 2017, 10:59:28 PM
They always were a far better live band and the records never quite captured the energy of their performances. And we don't talk about the third album at all, but I'd say The Golden Mile is worth purchasing, along with Sparkle and 12 Reasons why there's a couple of real gems like November 5th and You Can't Uneat The Apple.

Add me to the list of Strangelove fans, only saw them once but it was a fantastic night and the two albums they released around 97 / 98 were things of loveliness.

Blimey, not thought about them in ages, but I do remember being very fond of "Will You Still Care For Me?" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tATKeZEa0 - it's a great post break up song.

Yeah will you still care is great. I saw them live once and the front man ( Davey Crockett ) seemed a little unhinged.  He trained as a nurse and worked with orphans after his music career ended from what he says in one of his last interviews

armful

Carl Barat from The Libertines had a band called Dirty Pretty Things. Had the Bass player from Cooper Temple clause. Two albums they did. The first was ace the second was not ace.

armful

armful

The Mouldy Peaches. I loved them back in the day. Checked them out again last month I don't love them so much now .

Adam Green from this  band has plenty of good albums though .

imitationleather

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 27, 2017, 08:09:00 PM
I'd quite like to go to that, at least if it were really cheap, mainly as I used to be a big My Life Story fan but I'm also fond of everyone else bar Dodgy. And they're not terrible, just a band I never had much time for. But £42's way too much for me.

£42 for that is a total pisstake. Most of those bands are still going on the pub circuit. Still, can't begrudge them for trying.

Also, as I have discussed on Facebook, it's weird that Sleeper are second on the bill when they are clearly the biggest draw.

Wet Blanket

I saw a few Facebook friends going mad for this last year. They should have called it Beige Festival

I've always rated Paul Weller rip-offs Dogs as the most unfairly underappreciated band of the early noughties indie revival. I followed their career from NME Tour up-and-comers on the uni circuit, to bubbling-under on the club circuit, to playing a pub to about a dozen people in Hull. In the final gig they hung around for a pint afterwards. I remember the drummer saying something like "it's a lot of hard work to be honest, but you know, "I'm in a band, yay"' in the most mournful way possible.

They split up not long after. 

chand

I saw theaudience at a free festival in 97, supporting Shed Seven. Also on the bill were Clint Boon Experience, Wireless, Intastella and Phoenix...36? 39? Something like that. Some major also-rans there.

The Shine compilations are good reminders of some of the minor bands from that era. I had Shine 6 which had loads of the massive names on and middling successes like Terrorvision, but also the likes of Joyrider, Heavy Stereo, Imperial Teen, Ruth, Elcka, Sussed, Bawl
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shine_(compilation_series)#Shine_6

Sussed were a great example of the generic nobodies who surfaced briefly in the wake of Oasis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNIeLPIS0yw

SteveDave

David Devant And His Spirit Wife have a new LP out this year I believe.

I can highly recommend "Blood And Brambles" by Mikey Georgeson (AKA The Vessel AKA Mr Solo) for any DD&HSW fans. "I See What You Did There" will give you shivers. I also play chugalug guitar on most of the record. It was produced by Dave Allan of The Cure production/engineering fame. He was a lovely fellow.

Black_Bart

I used to have a college mate, back in the early 90s, that used to love all the awful indie bands that would be hyped by the NME/Melody Maker.

Remember Salad? He liked them. Honestly.

I'll mention Bennet, you know "My mum has gone to Iceland". Course you do.

Jockice

Quote from: chand on March 28, 2017, 10:12:52 AM
I saw theaudience at a free festival in 97, supporting Shed Seven. Also on the bill were Clint Boon Experience, Wireless, Intastella and Phoenix...36? 39? Something like that. Some major also-rans there.

The Shine compilations are good reminders of some of the minor bands from that era. I had Shine 6 which had loads of the massive names on and middling successes like Terrorvision, but also the likes of Joyrider, Heavy Stereo, Imperial Teen, Ruth, Elcka, Sussed, Bawl
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shine_(compilation_series)#Shine_6

Sussed were a great example of the generic nobodies who surfaced briefly in the wake of Oasis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNIeLPIS0yw

A schoolmate of mine was in Wireless. Beat that for a claim to fame.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

What's wrong with liking Salad? They were a quality band with some fine singles, and a singer who looked like a young Katherine Helmond from "Soap" and a guitarist who looked like Karl Howman. Nowt wrong with any of that.
Anyway, Mice. Lead singer was Julianne Reagan, and, bizarrely they seemed to be influenced by Sleeper. Still got their debut album somewhere.