Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:48:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The indie also ran thread

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, March 27, 2017, 04:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armful

The Ordinary Boys. I still listen to and enjoy their debut album. My mates mock me for this. I'm not ashamed God Dammit Over The Counter Culture was ace.

Brundle-Fly

Some of the indie bands mentioned on this thread so far were quite successful though. Cast? Sleeper? Even Me Me Me had a hit and were always a one-off vanity project. 

Grass-Show, Dogs Die In Hot Cars, Be Your Own Pet, Elevator Suite.

Neomod

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 28, 2017, 11:48:23 AM
Anyway, Mice. Lead singer was Julianne Reagan, and, bizarrely they seemed to be influenced by Sleeper. Still got their debut album somewhere.

I take it the Tesco Value™ pre-raphaelitisms of All About Eve were not cutting it at this point in the 90's.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 28, 2017, 11:56:05 AM
Dogs Die In Hot Cars

I remember quite liking their first single. Shittest name for a band though...

Tompaulin were pretty shit, the first B&S rip-off.

Then there was The Reindeer Section who were largely an indie also ran supergroup. Members of Alfie, Astrid, Cadet, Eva, The Wendys...

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 28, 2017, 12:11:53 PM
I remember quite liking their first single. Shittest name for a band though...

Like a Rutles Andy Partridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Ozw5DdtRg

Black_Bart

QuoteWhat's wrong with liking Salad?

The singer was a VJ. MTV get off the air!

purlieu

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 28, 2017, 12:11:53 PM
Then there was The Reindeer Section who were largely an indie also ran supergroup. Members of Alfie, Astrid, Cadet, Eva, The Wendys...
Not sure about 'largely', they also had members of Snow Patrol, Mogwai, Idlewild, Belle & Sebastian, Arab Strap, The Vaselines and Teenage Fanclub.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: purlieu on March 28, 2017, 01:08:05 PM
Not sure about 'largely', they also had members of Snow Patrol, Mogwai, Idlewild, Belle & Sebastian, Arab Strap, The Vaselines and Teenage Fanclub.

along with members of Alfie, Astrid, Cadet, Eva, The Wendys...

Christ, look at the state of them.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 28, 2017, 01:21:14 PM

See if you can spot the one person who really didn't want to take part in the school photograph idea but the towed the line.

Serge

Quote from: Neomod on March 27, 2017, 09:56:20 PMSilver Sun

Another band whose singer regularly used to come into a shop I worked in.

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on March 27, 2017, 09:58:05 PMGeneva.

When I was ripping CDs for my Ipod a couple of years ago, I found I had their album. 'Tranquilizer' is a great song.

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on March 27, 2017, 10:36:22 PMThe Popinjays.

I loved The Popinjays, and had a massive crush on Polly Hancock (she's now a photographer, not that I'm stalking her or anything.) Their first album, 'Bang Up To Date With...' is still a favourite.

QuoteTop.

Two good singles - 'She's Got All The World' and 'No. 1 Dominator'. Better than Cast, anyway.

Quote from: phantom_power on March 27, 2017, 11:31:23 PMDelakota

Am I right in thinking this is the band that had Cass from The Senseless Things in? I don't remember the other two bands you mentioned, though!

Captain Crunch

Quote from: phantom_power on March 27, 2017, 11:31:23 PM
Out of my Hair

I still listen to them quite often, 'Safe Boy' and 'Heart's Desire' are quite nice when they pop up on shuffle.  He was a bit of a nutnut wasn't he? 

Custard

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 28, 2017, 01:21:14 PM

That front row, though

Neomod

Quote from: Serge on March 28, 2017, 01:46:09 PM
I loved The Popinjays, and had a massive crush on Polly Hancock (she's now a photographer, not that I'm stalking her or anything.) Their first album, 'Bang Up To Date With...' is still a favourite.

I've got that album but I always used to confuse them with The Popguns[nb]Landslide is a cracking single[/nb].

phantom_power

Delakota were the band that Cass from the Senseless Things was in. They were sort of a bit like a spacier Charlatans, but better than that sounds. They had one decent album and one stormer of a single (The Rock) and that was about it

Out of My Hair were a bit wacky yes. The lead singer was a spiral-haired Marc Bolan-alike called Comfort. The only thing I know of them is In The Groove Again that got played a lot on the Mark and Lard Graveyard Shift. They did a good live session version as well that I had on a tape for years

Candidate were a band with erstwhile comedy writers Joel and Alex Morris. They did a really good Bonzo-ish song called The Leader and a few albums of decent folk-rock songs

What about Powder, featuring Pearl "mother of Daisy" Lowe? Afrodisiac was pretty good. And then there was Lodger with her and Danny Goffey from Supergrass. I'm Leaving is a corker of a twisted duet that I still listen to a lot now

Serge

Quote from: Neomod on March 28, 2017, 03:09:17 PMI've got that album but I always used to confuse them with The Popguns[nb]Landslide is a cracking single[/nb].

I used to own 'Snog' by The Popguns. I remember literally nothing about it. For some reason, I've also just remembered The Pooh Sticks, whose 'Great White Wonder' I still own. When I get my records out of storage, I must see which other indie also rans I own records by and have completely forgotten.

Quote from: phantom_power on March 28, 2017, 03:26:39 PMThey were sort of a bit like a spacier Charlatans

I misread this as 'a spacier Christians' which would be, ah, interesting. No it wouldn't.

The Frank & Walters, anyone?

Black_Bart

QuoteThe Frank & Walters, anyone?

Did a bitchin' cover of Funky Cold Medina.

holyzombiejesus

I used to like a band called Kaito, mostly because I fancied the female members. Just wiki'd to see what they're up to and...

QuoteGemma Cullingford is now the co-founder of the Norwich Ukulele Society,[5] and a ukulele instructor.[6]

Where's that gif of the collapsing chimney when you need it?

That Nikki Colk's still hot to trot though. She's worked with Chris & Cosey and they're pervy so she might be too.

wosl

Dr Syntax Head

I've been reminded of the Senseless Things and I had forgotten quite how brilliantly fun they were to listen to. Wonder what they're up to these days

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: jobotic on March 27, 2017, 08:35:37 PM

Swervedriver and Curve - never saw any point in them.

Swervedriver have done alright for themselves. Adam Franklin has done quite a lot of work outside the band. They are a band who were lumped in with shoegaze but are more just a very guitar heavy band with an extremely loyal fanbase, though I'm not sure how much of a fan i'd be if I didn't play guitar. It's kind of one of those muso bands.

Curve were great in their time, they were genuinely doing something a bit different, shoegaze guitars and semi dance production but the first album is all you really need. They did well for themselves too.

Neither of these bands are also rans.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Candidate also gifted us with the theme to "Ideal", lest we forget.

Now you should all go and YouTube the song " Mermaid " by Posh for the freewheelin' sound of Indie 96. You'll all love it ( well, Serge might like it )

Where are Jesse Garron and the Desperadoes now? Whither Rote Kapelle? Oh, Fizzbombs where art thou ? (Back to the 80s vibe)

Jockice

Quote from: Serge on March 28, 2017, 03:36:59 PM

The Frank & Walters, anyone?

I love The Frank And Walters. Very underrated band. They wrote a song about feeling jealous of trainspotters because at least they have found something that has made their lives worthwhile. It makes me cry. Honest.

armful

Going back a bit The Field mice. I used to have a singles collection

The end of the affair should have been a massive hit, Sadly it wasn't

https://youtu.be/jhmUaMxX2Co

wosl

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 28, 2017, 04:40:48 PMCurve were great in their time, they were genuinely doing something a bit different, shoegaze guitars and semi dance production but the first album is all you really need.

Still like and occasionally listen to Curve; as you suggest, a fair bit of Doppelganger still stands up well, as does the whole of the Frozen EP.  One mark against them, though, is the way Toni Halliday laid it on a bit too much with that supposedly seductive croak-thing when she sang (that mannerism where it sounds as though the voice is mimicking the sound of a creaky board being stepped on at the start of singing a word).

holyzombiejesus

I liked the Field Mice but, god, did that man wallow. Having said that, all the singles up to (and including) Missing The Moon were lovely although, as was usual for bands on Sarah Records, they just got dismissed as twee by people who hadn't actually listened to them. Don't think they were also rans though. The fag-end of that whole indiepop scene had dozens though: Strawberry Story, The Nivens, Mousefolk, The Driscolls...

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 28, 2017, 04:36:37 PM
I've been reminded of the Senseless Things and I had forgotten quite how brilliantly fun they were to listen to. Wonder what they're up to these days

They've just played what will almost certainly be my best gig of 2017.

phantom_power

The first Frank and Walters album is great, as is Son of Evil Reindeer by The Reindeer Section

Sultans of Ping FC anyone?

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 28, 2017, 04:40:48 PM
Swervedriver have done alright for themselves. Adam Franklin has done quite a lot of work outside the band. They are a band who were lumped in with shoegaze but are more just a very guitar heavy band with an extremely loyal fanbase, though I'm not sure how much of a fan i'd be if I didn't play guitar. It's kind of one of those muso bands.

Not sure about that – on their 'glittering' reunion tour they played at the Thekla which has a capacity of about 400.  It was barely half full and the gig itself was totally limp, no oomph or power in it at all, such a shame.  Compare that to the reunion shows of Ride or Slowdive and it's even more painful. 

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: phantom_power on March 28, 2017, 06:11:57 PM
Sultans of Ping FC anyone?

I saw them live twice... A lot of fun. Some good singles (S T U P I D Kid, Teenage Punks, Wake Up And Scratch Me)

phantom_power

I had a tape called Happy Daze Vol. 2 that had a plethora of these forgotten bands but pretty much every song is a corker (that or I played it so much in my youth that they have become lodged in my brain and I can't get any proper perspective on them)

Some examples:

The Real People - Window Pane
Paris Angels - All On You (Perfume)
The High - Box Set Go
Thousand Yard Stare - Wonderment
The Dylans - Godlike
Five Thirty - Something's Got To Give
Top - She's Got All the World
Chapterhouse - Pearl

Those Indie Top 20 Albums are a good source of "Oh yeah, forgot about them" reactions as well