Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:34:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spiderman: Homecoming

Started by samadriel, March 29, 2017, 09:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 27, 2017, 03:24:44 PMI'm still trying to get my head around Spiderman being played by the son of Dominic Holland.

Crikey! Didn't know that.

Oh for fuck's... new page Spider-Twat.

Glebe

So this is getting cracking reviews, with the general consensus being that it's the best Spidey movie since Raimi's Spider-Man 2 (which is my favourite Spider-Man movie). The Telegraph aren't so impressed but you know what they're like, stop ruining the buzz, lads.

SavageHedgehog

I hear Barry Norman called it "perfectly acceptable hokum" with his very last words.

Replies From View

Are there any good Spider-Man villains apart from Doctor Octopus?

Bazooka

Quote from: Replies From View on July 03, 2017, 07:19:46 AM
Are there any good Spider-Man villains apart from Doctor Octopus?

There are, however we have had the Green Goblin twice and now the Vulture who is basically the same, flying CGI characters are easier to make.

BritishHobo

Fair fucks, that was pretty shitting good. It's the only time I've actually felt fear and danger and stakes for a superhero character since... well, ever. Possibly excluding The Dark Knight.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 05, 2017, 04:55:12 PM
Fair fucks, that was pretty shitting good. It's the only time I've actually felt fear and danger and stakes for a superhero character since... well, ever. Possibly excluding The Dark Knight.

Don't you need to know all about Iron Man to follow what's happening?

I know nothing about Iron Man.

Jack Shaftoe

That was great! Funny, and smart enough it's constantly throwing you curveballs, really enjoyed it. Felt a lot like Bendis' run of Ultimate Spider-Man (which I loved).

I don't think you need to know much about Iron Man, but it's hard to say, I love the MCU, so I'm constantly looking for references, appearances by other characters. I'd say IM is in there pretty organically, tbh, he's an obvious hero figure for Peter Parker, so it works pretty well.

Minor criticisms: maybe twenty minutes too long, and the upgraded suit is maybe a bit overpowered, but it all works out. Some great music choices in there as well, especially compared to Baby Driver, which I saw last week.

colacentral

Pretty good. I'd say marginally better than the Sam Raimi ones as a film, but loads better at getting the Spider-Man / Peter Parker character right. I had some nitpicks - the villains were mostly shite, with Michael Keaton only really shining towards the end, and I wasn't much blown away by the action. I could have done with a bit more of Spidey going after petty crooks too - one of my favourite scenes was the bit with the bike thief.

It has the best Marvel post-credits scene so far. Worth staying for.

Replies From View

It would have been funny if after all the expense somebody had somehow managed to put "Spider-Man:  Arsecoming" on all the posters.  In total good faith as well, not as a joke.

colacentral

That reminds me, why did they use the title "Homecoming" if it had no relevance to the Spider-Man comic story? They were obviously alluding to it by giving it that title but there was no connection whatsoever was there?

Blumf

Coming back to Spiderman's Marvel Universe home?

BritishHobo

As well as reinforcing the high school element of Pete's life, which I think has been pretty superfluous since around about the fight with the bully in the first Sam Raimi film.

colacentral

I know what the in-film meaning of the title is. What I mean is, why allude to a famous spider-man comic story when there's literally nothing connecting it to the film (other than one minor connection in the final few seconds)? It would be like calling the next Iron Man film "Demon in a Bottle" and it being about an evil genie.

On another note, I loved Flash in this.

Paaaaul

I enjoyed the fact that Spidey's genesis story for this iteration was streamlined to a ten second conversation where he says,
"Yeah, I got bitten by a spider".

BritishHobo

Also literally no mention of Uncle Ben, unless I'm mistaken?

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: colacentral on July 08, 2017, 03:41:39 PM
I know what the in-film meaning of the title is. What I mean is, why allude to a famous spider-man comic story when there's literally nothing connecting it to the film (other than one minor connection in the final few seconds)? It would be like calling the next Iron Man film "Demon in a Bottle" and it being about an evil genie.

On another note, I loved Flash in this.

Yeah it's because he's "coming home" to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and because homecoming is a high school thing there and in the film he is in high school.

Paaaaul

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 08, 2017, 09:29:26 PM
You're not.

colacentral

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on July 08, 2017, 09:29:47 PM
Yeah it's because he's "coming home" to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and because homecoming is a high school thing there and in the film he is in high school.

Quote from: colacentral on July 08, 2017, 03:41:39 PM

colacentral

It's alluded to though, when he says something about "everything Aunt May has been through lately."

Ha just realised I was getting Spiderman Homecoming confused with the JMS Spidermna arc Coming Home. Instead of issue 252.

I guess you could say the only thing it borrows from the comic is Spiderman gets a new suit.

Replies From View

It's a welcome change to have a Spider-Man who isn't obsessed with rice.

Mr Brightside

Can TobeyMaguireSpiderman stop those things coming out of his fingers that help him stick to walls when he is wanking or does he have to wank with special wanking gloves?

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: colacentral on July 08, 2017, 10:05:50 PM

Yeah, so it's a reference to Spiderman "coming home" to Marvel like I said, and also because - like I said - homecoming is a thing in American high schools.  I haven't seen the film yet but I understand there are also several scenes where Peter Parker either actually returns home or at least tells other characters that he intends to go home.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Replies From View on July 08, 2017, 10:25:07 PM
It's a welcome change to have a Spider-Man who isn't obsessed with rice.

With great paella comes great responsibility.

colacentral

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on July 08, 2017, 11:09:02 PM
Yeah, so it's a reference to Spiderman "coming home" to Marvel like I said, and also because - like I said - homecoming is a thing in American high schools.  I haven't seen the film yet but I understand there are also several scenes where Peter Parker either actually returns home or at least tells other characters that he intends to go home.

I can't tell if you're wilfully misunderstanding my point or not. I don't know how much clearer I can be.

I don't think he understands that there was a storyline called Homecoming in the Spiderman comics.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: colacentral on July 09, 2017, 12:38:56 AM
I can't tell if you're wilfully misunderstanding my point or not. I don't know how much clearer I can be.

As I understand it the film is based on a comic book character called Spiderman and his catchphrase is 'home is where the heart is'.

Replies From View

I understand that Aunt May is in this film, but is there any mention of her?