Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:16:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantilisation

Started by touchingcloth, March 30, 2017, 11:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Jess Phillips started it as far as I know. Which is odd because she spoke favourably of him in the past.

It's almost like she has no principles!!!!!

Sebastian Cobb

idunnosomename

BlodwynPig

goo goo goos

&

gaa gaa gaas

&

faecal material build up in you wafer thin nappies

Icehaven

If they insist on talking to their customers as if they're toddlers then then I'd go in there and behave like one and throw food everywhere, wail, crayon on the walls and fall asleep on the table.

Konki

Maybe it's a completely innocent paedo bar attempting to lure kids. Didn't think of that before judging did you eh, Judgey McJudgesons?

petril

Quote from: icehaven on August 26, 2019, 02:10:16 PM
If they insist on talking to their customers as if they're toddlers then then I'd go in there and behave like one and throw food everywhere, wail, crayon on the walls and fall asleep on the table.

and of course, not pay. toddlers are famous for never paying when they go out for food. Have you ever seen a three year old with a debit card in one hand, looking over a bill to work out how much they're paying off it?

Twed

Twit 2

Born in 1984, I am probably a millennial but I really detest everything about this description and I have always found I have more in common with people born in the 70s. I had a rural childhood in an isolated part of England, my parents were skinflints who didn't like technology so I watched black and white TV as a kid. Also I haven't used social media since about 2007. For these reasons (along with an Olympian snobbishness, which I somewhat keep a lid on in polite society) hearing people of my age talk like teenagers in neologisms and twitter talk makes me come out in a rash. Was walking past a couple and I overheard the woman say to the man "Your dad has some next level issues, though." They had a newborn baby with them and I had to bite my lip to prevent myself wishing next level cot death on them.

Blue Jam

bgmnts

West London needs nuking.

Icehaven

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 31, 2019, 06:24:20 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-49448936/inside-the-selfie-factory-for-influencers

GRAVE.

https://selfiefactory.co.uk

I wouldn't be surprised if James "Stay-Puft" Middleton was involved.

At this rate there's going to be more influencers than influencees, and the serious coin will be in being hawking yourself out as influenced.

imitationleather

Those kind of places have been around in China for a while I think. Seems pretty ridiculous to me but I guess that is because I am becoming an Old Man.

Twit 2

Bought a Charlie Bigham's Paella from Waitrose, down from 8 quid to £1.70. Who the fuck pays 8 quid for a ready meal? Then I find it's in godawful wooden packaging. Yes, wooden packaging. I guess they're going for artisan, even though it was surely designed and made by a paedophile in a bothy. But here's the real blow: the back features the usual witless screed (where a picture of a gimp at a rusted microwave and the legend TWENTY would suffice) but as a subtitle they've gone with "Some Remarks on Packaging" like it's a fucking treatise by John Locke and not the brain-dribble of a coked-up Dilbert. Hope the prawns in my shit turn into a giant net and snag him.

idunnosomename

i love those wooden trays tbh. Aldi ripped them off for a bit, but seem to have mostly withdrawn them now, so maybe they weren't sustainable. I also have bought some Charlie Bingham's marked down, but not that low, for which you deserve a round of applause

touchingcloth

I like the wooden trays cos it's less plastic waste. When we had some work done on our kitchen and didn't have an oven we found out that Aldi's NOT FOR MICROWAVING message can be safely ignored. Or so we thought before the AIDS set in.

Icehaven

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 02, 2019, 10:27:00 PM
When we had some work done on our kitchen and didn't have an oven we found out that Aldi's NOT FOR MICROWAVING message can be safely ignored.

So why do they say that on some things then, is it just arse covering as the packaging could melt? When I was in a houseshare a while ago I quite fancied trying an OK looking range of ready meal stuff in Tesco but it all said it couldn't be microwaved so I didn't bother, no way I was waiting 50 minutes for a feckin' supermarket lasagne.

I've seen it on some tinned veg too (don't judge me, I was sharing a kitchen with 7+ people) but (presuming the manufacturers are aware their customers would generally know to remove it from the can first), why can't that be microwaved?

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on September 03, 2019, 01:52:57 PM
So why do they say that on some things then, is it just arse covering as the packaging could melt? When I was in a houseshare a while ago I quite fancied trying an OK looking range of ready meal stuff in Tesco but it all said it couldn't be microwaved so I didn't bother, no way I was waiting 50 minutes for a feckin' supermarket lasagne.

I've seen it on some tinned veg too (don't judge me, I was sharing a kitchen with 7+ people) but (presuming the manufacturers are aware their customers would generally know to remove it from the can first), why can't that be microwaved?

It's probably just that the materials haven't been tested in microwaves at the required standards, so it might be fine it's just never passed the tests to say so, unlike with plastics where you'll have your pick of approved ones to package microwave meals in.

Or maybe it's just about fine, but glues and stuff from the wood leech toxins out into the food. Or maybe they catch fire if you leave them long enough. I've got some plastic food tubs at home which definitely seem to be fine in the microwave, but from what I've read online the lack of a stamp on them essentially means that you're playing with the risk of carcinogens if you nuke food in them.

Dannyhood91

At the food court in Leeds trinity shopping centre I saw a sandwich that was labelled "Xtreme" and the place that did duck had a duck with cool guy shades.

Fambo Number Mive

Does Osborne think the Evening Standard's readers are idiots?

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1169603331569963009

Still not as bad an editor as he was Chancellor, though.

Zetetic

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 03, 2019, 03:23:00 PMthe lack of a stamp on them essentially means that you're playing with the risk of carcinogens if you nuke food in them.
Is it self-certification anyway?

Ferris

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on September 04, 2019, 12:28:07 AM
the place that did duck had a duck with cool guy shades.

Sounds amazing

kalowski

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on September 04, 2019, 12:28:07 AM
At the food court in Leeds trinity shopping centre I saw a sandwich that was labelled "Xtreme" and the place that did duck had a duck with cool guy shades.
If you wanna make your move, ya gotta play it...
Cool.
Now watcha gotta do,
If you wanna get a kiss,
Is act real smooth

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 05, 2019, 04:06:41 PM
Does Osborne think the Evening Standard's readers are idiots?
.... yes?

Norton Canes

Maybe not 'infantilisation' as such, more just 'the shitness of modern things'; but I get a load of random artisan/DIY type videos cropping up on Facebook (no idea why, it's assuredly not the sort of thing I ever search the net for) - things made on lathes, things carved from stone, the laying of nice parquet floors etc. - and these videos are always, always sped up to like double the frame rate. Stop that! If it's interesting enough it'll keep my attention regardless of whether it plays out in half the time. In fact I'm less likely to watch it if it plays out like a Buster Keaton short. I mean don't we just speed everything up? Why watch Killing Eve at normal speed when you could watch two episodes sped up in the same amount of time? Why not speed up the songs on the radio, fit more in? Why don't they just rattle through Hamlet at twice the fucking speed, save us a couple of hours?

Ferris

This complete abomination on an art installation near me.

Twed

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 12, 2019, 04:20:39 PMand these videos are always, always sped up to like double the frame rate.
It's to help hide the fact that they are unmitigated bollocks, usually (on top of making sure short attention spans see more of the content). There's an entire industry centered around making those kinds of videos, and they play fast and loose with reality, because the more unexpected or perfect the result is, the more the video gets shared. Here's a good takedown of some food-related ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBSzWmjXO0

jobotic

Not infantilisation, more "quirky" but i went to wedding recpetion in a really posh rugger type pub a couple of weeks ago and these were the urinals

FFS. They're too close to each other for a start but you also felt that someone would burst in in their brassed off outfit asking what the fuck you thought you were playing pissing into their parper.

However had the shitter had been a tuba I would have been on board.

Twed

Spare a thought for their poor fucking cleaners.

imitationleather

Quote from: Twed on September 12, 2019, 05:20:35 PM
Spare a thought for their poor fucking cleaners.

This was my first thought too.