Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,473
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:30:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantilisation

Started by touchingcloth, March 30, 2017, 11:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

That sort of shit is barely acceptable on Twitter or Instagram, but if the BBC are doing it they can fuck off.
I swear that the BBC news website used to be good.  Or was I just less grumpy back then?
I get all my news from The Daily Mash now anyway.

Jobey

Hive mind: So, I am an incredibly boring and tedious cunt that refuses to use a simple search engine and instead would rather let you all know about my forthcoming travel destination and also use you as my own personal assistant for restaurant and tourism recommendations. Go go go!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Jobey on April 06, 2017, 11:26:46 AM
Hive mind: So, I am an incredibly boring and tedious cunt that refuses to use a simple search engine and instead would rather let you all know about my forthcoming travel destination and also use you as my own personal assistant for restaurant and tourism recommendations. Go go go!

A deliberate dig at this?

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,59197.0.html

momatt

That's a good one.  I think the twats who reply to that shit are worse though.

I think if it's asking about something that you know your mates have done before, or something stupidly niche then it's fair enough.
But if it's asking 'what music should I listen to' or 'recommend a restaurant in London', then they can bollocks.

buttgammon

Quote from: momatt on April 06, 2017, 11:18:57 AM
That sort of shit is barely acceptable on Twitter or Instagram, but if the BBC are doing it they can fuck off.
I swear that the BBC news website used to be good.  Or was I just less grumpy back then?
I get all my news from The Daily Mash now anyway.

It's definitely declined. I used to find the Magazine section mildly annoying, but half of the stuff that makes it to the main BBC News site makes that look like serious analysis now. They seem very desperate to wade into an already over-saturated market like that. If you want inane lists and poorly written human interest stories, there are already dozens of websites for you, I don't see why people would check BBC News for that. It all strikes me as a rather out of touch middle-aged person's idea of what appeals to young people.

momatt

They've got a duty to cater for fuckwits I suppose.  I don't mind that.
But they should also cater for non-fuckwits.

pancreas

The form of it is annoying: 'hive mind'. But if you're asking your hand-selected friends or internet acquaintances for recommendations, who know you a bit better and won't try to send you to a TGI Friday's or something, then I can see why you'd do it---and why people would be happy to reply.

touchingcloth

The BBC are in a tough place with their online news. For one thing they don't have the funding to produce large amounts of quality journalism, and for another they're judged against competitors who shamelessly publish scandal and titillation for clicks. If they put their limit budget towards fewer quality articles rather than basic reporting mixed with clickbait, then it's likely their popularity would decline and they'd run the risk of being shitcanned altogether.

Tl;dr - read Flat Earth News.

Kelvin

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 06, 2017, 11:08:46 AM
I hate when people start a sentence midway through, and then end it before it's finished. "That awkward moment when your trousers fall down in front of your boss." What? What about that awkward moment? Is it too much to ask for you to introduce and then conclude a thought rather than just blurting it out sans context? The BBC have started doing it in their online articles as well: "that moment when you receive a letter from Theresa May triggering Article 50." No, BBC. That only makes sense on the off chance that Donald Tusk happens to be reading your drivel for babies and, besides, WHAT ABOUT THAT FUCKING MOMENT?

This, and several other jarring turns of phrase, seem to stem from people misappropriating internet memes into everyday speech. People prefixing statements with the word "hashtag" in real life situations, or, in your example, using a phrase that should be accompanied by a picture or GIF. It's the modern equivalent of people talking in TV catchphrases they like, wanting to capture the inherent popularity of a thing, but not understanding what made it funny or popular in the first place.

It reminds me of John Cleese talking about catchphrases in sitcoms he listened to as a young man. He points out that the audience would cheer and laugh when a character said their catchphrase, not because they thought it was funny in  context, but because they had developed a pavlovian response to laugh and cheer when they heard it. Similarly, with these phrases, people assume their ubiquity must mean they're inherently funny in any and all contexts.       

shiftwork2

People sharing their holiday plans is infantilisation?

Endicott

Quote from: momatt on April 06, 2017, 11:31:08 AM
That's a good one.  I think the twats who reply to that shit are worse though.

I think if it's asking about something that you know your mates have done before, or something stupidly niche then it's fair enough.
But if it's asking 'what music should I listen to' or 'recommend a restaurant in London', then they can bollocks.

Bullshit. Recommendations are the best way to find out if stuff is any good. Sharing information is the whole point of a forum.

Don't read the fucking thread if you don't like it.

Endicott

More bullshit, same reason.

Kane Jones

All just sounds like sour grapes because they're not going on holiday this year to me.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: buttgammon on April 06, 2017, 11:53:02 AM
It's definitely declined. I used to find the Magazine section mildly annoying, but half of the stuff that makes it to the main BBC News site makes that look like serious analysis now. They seem very desperate to wade into an already over-saturated market like that. If you want inane lists and poorly written human interest stories, there are already dozens of websites for you, I don't see why people would check BBC News for that. It all strikes me as a rather out of touch middle-aged person's idea of what appeals to young people.

Mid-shite crisis.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 06, 2017, 12:18:37 PM
The BBC are in a tough place with their online news. For one thing they don't have the funding to produce large amounts of quality journalism, and for another they're judged against competitors who shamelessly publish scandal and titillation for clicks. If they put their limit budget towards fewer quality articles rather than basic reporting mixed with clickbait, then it's likely their popularity would decline and they'd run the risk of being shitcanned altogether.

Tl;dr - read Flat Earth News.

ha ha ha....diddums, fucking diddums. Whilst I acknowledge that time moves on and the shape of media has changed, I absolutely do not think it is worth pursuing a dumbed down agenda to try and keep the boat afloat. If your time is up, your time is up - or scale down and focus on the important things. You may be more "niche" but you will remain relevant to many and hopefully engage with younger people who also despair at clickbait and poor journalistic trends. But they don't want even to consider that option.

touchingcloth

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 06, 2017, 01:11:36 PM
ha ha ha....diddums, fucking diddums. Whilst I acknowledge that time moves on and the shape of media has changed, I absolutely do not think it is worth pursuing a dumbed down agenda to try and keep the boat afloat. If your time is up, your time is up - or scale down and focus on the important things. You may be more "niche" but you will remain relevant to many and hopefully engage with younger people who also despair at clickbait and poor journalistic trends. But they don't want even to consider that option.

I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly, and it's that kind of mindset that keeps Radio 4 afloat and essentially unchanged even in this brave new world. I'm not saying I approve of the BBC news site's current style of output, but I can see some of the factors that have helped to drag it that way.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 06, 2017, 01:14:54 PM
I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly, and it's that kind of mindset that keeps Radio 4 afloat and essentially unchanged even in this brave new world. I'm not saying I approve of the BBC news site's current style of output, but I can see some of the factors that have helped to drag it that way.

*takes sneery glasses off*

suppose so ;)

touchingcloth

Quote from: Kelvin on April 06, 2017, 12:37:08 PM
This, and several other jarring turns of phrase, seem to stem from people misappropriating internet memes into everyday speech. People prefixing statements with the word "hashtag" in real life situations, or, in your example, using a phrase that should be accompanied by a picture or GIF. It's the modern equivalent of people talking in TV catchphrases they like, wanting to capture the inherent popularity of a thing, but not understanding what made it funny or popular in the first place.     

That Buzzfeed article upthread has some "good" examples of the kind of thing:

When you finally call the doctor and they can see you in three months what?

When you work out three days in a row what? Incidentally, Buzzfeed decided to note the copyright holder of that image as Instagram. It doesn't work like that, you site of fucking children. Unless Ian Stagram really is making all of these shitty lo-res, no worth images himself.

When you're online shopping and decide to check your bank account what?

And, worst of all, this:

Farts. Cats. Poor spelling. Lack of capital letters. The actual spurious use of the word "actually." Fuck you and your bullshit article into an early and hopefully painful grave. Christ, I'm old. Christ, this planet is young. Christ, I want to murder the tits off something.

touchingcloth

I'm fuming now. Where is Buzz Feed? Can we go down Buzz Feed, please?

momatt

Quote from: Endicott on April 06, 2017, 01:05:30 PM
Don't read the fucking thread if you don't like it.
I must have missed something, I wasn't talking about any threads here.  Just Facebook nobheads I know.

Quote from: Kelvin on April 06, 2017, 12:37:08 PM
People prefixing statements with the word "hashtag" in real life situations
And then the murders began.

A picture of a cat on a moped saying "toodaloo", is their example of 'adulting'.  That sums it up perfectly.

mrpupkin

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 06, 2017, 01:26:05 PM
I'm fuming now. Where is Buzz Feed? Can we go down Buzz Feed, please?

I'll come buzzfeed with you mate. Shit em up a bit.

Black_Bart

Saw an ad with Skelator in shades proclaiming Get £75 when you get life insurance.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Black_Bart on April 06, 2017, 02:01:48 PM
Saw an ad with Skelator in shades proclaiming Get £75 when you get life insurance.

Skeletor.

touchingcloth

No, Skelator. She's from the Iliad.

Black_Bart

QuoteSkeletor.

Thanks, I haven't watched the show since the mid 80s. But I'm not surprised that you'd know how to spell it.

Howj Begg

"All wrapped up in a big bag of NOPE"

touchingcloth

"Here are all of my fucks."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Black_Bart on April 06, 2017, 02:13:23 PM
Thanks, I haven't watched the show since the mid 80s. But I'm not surprised that you'd know how to spell it.

a damning indictment

Repeater

cloth mate, the cat wasn't fartin. anyway, those are reaction memes, make perfect sense to me