Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:52:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantilisation

Started by touchingcloth, March 30, 2017, 11:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: the on April 27, 2018, 08:56:00 AM
I think it's quite an agreeable character design, even though it is clearly the mid-point between Totoro and a Furby.

I wonder if she's ever had recourse to use the phrase "he had a bellend like Henry's bowler".

I'm a bit conflicted on this because I'd quite plausibly use this thing if it was an emoticon on WeChat. But, at the same time, I absolutely loathe the fact that the DWP are using this thing as part of their public awareness campaign. I suppose it just comes down to honesty. I use emoticons on social media because I'm infantile idiot. Everyone who knows me knows this. So no one's being lead astray. As we're all well aware though, the DWP may be idiotic, but such idiocy doesn't come in the form of fur and hard-to-quantify cuddliness. Those qualities simply aren't in its remit. Or at least not within working hours, one would assume. I think the Gill Sans fonts and the stark draughtsman-like of drawings of the 30s were much more accurate in that sense - dry, authoritative, slightly dark and sinister. As the saying goes, everyone knew where they were back then, even if they'd have rather been somewhere else. 

New Jack

Clocked this beauty out in the wild.

Sebastian Cobb

That's in really good nick. What a waste. I've always wanted a shot in a mini.

Dex Sawash

Really should have a union jack of minions on the roof

flotemysost

My company's customer-facing website has a default 404 'not found' error page which reads something like 'Oopsie, oo-er, well this is a bit embarrassing, have you tried switching it off and on again,' etc. For about five paragraphs. I suspect they spent more time coming up with that than developing a search tool that actually works.

Ornlu

kalowski

Quote from: Ornlu on September 17, 2018, 07:56:02 PM

"No more SOS calls"!
Are they focusing on the emerging market of boat captains?

momatt

God, I hate the phrase adulting.  Though I do relate the the idea, as I hate boring adult stuff.  But then doesn't everyone?
Fuck a Kinder Bueno too.  My adulting reward is a bottle of whisky, a kilogram of stilton and some crack.

Avril Lavigne

I wonder what kids and pre-adults think of that kind of thing. I remember from about age 11-12 onwards I was always trying to seem more mature and grown-up than I was.  I feel like if I'd seen that in a shop as a teen in the '90s I'd have just been completely baffled by what it meant and who it was aimed at.

Flouncer

Quote from: New Jack on May 22, 2018, 09:19:47 AM
Clocked this beauty out in the wild.

Yesterday I saw a Reliant Rialto that was purple, and when it turned at the crossroads it had the Cadbury's logo down the side. Unfortunately I couldn't unlock my phone quick enough to take a photo.

Sebastian Cobb

the Cadbury's factory used to have some road-legal creme egg cars.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 22, 2018, 11:49:46 AM
the Cadbury's factory used to have some road-legal creme egg cars.

Used to see them at the Cadbury's factory in Bournville if you were lucky. Wouldn't fancy driving one on the A38/M5 northbound though.

Icehaven

I remember visiting Cadbury World in the 90s and being a bit gutted they were for staff and not visitors.

Sebastian Cobb

I did a school trip to that, and the jag factory.

I used to work with an ex-Longbridge worker who was offered cheap seconds from Cadbury as someone's wife worked there or something. He gave them a tenner thinking he'd get some slabs of fruit and nut on the cheap just in time for Christmas. He got a bin bag full of unwrapped chocolate and had to lug it home on the bus.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 22, 2018, 07:40:47 PM
I did a school trip to that, and the jag factory.

I used to work with an ex-Longbridge worker who was offered cheap seconds from Cadbury as someone's wife worked there or something. He gave them a tenner thinking he'd get some slabs of fruit and nut on the cheap just in time for Christmas. He got a bin bag full of unwrapped chocolate and had to lug it home on the bus.

You could buy Cadbury seconds in a lot of places in central brum. Half kg bags for a quid or something.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 22, 2018, 07:55:47 PM
You could buy Cadbury seconds in a lot of places in central brum. Half kg bags for a quid or something.

There used to be a guy in bromsgrove market (the original tin roofed one before they flattened it, rebuilt it and flattened it again) that sold massive bags of blue smarties.

But even better was one armed George's at the other end of town; he'd sell you tabs and that.

Captain Poodle Basher

A former flatmate of mine's mum worked for Cadburys in Dublin. Every so often my flatmate would arrive home with a shopping bag full of chocolate bars. In a perversion of Henry Ford's phrase, "You could have any chocolate bar you want. As long as it's a Time Out or a Caramel Bar." It's been fifteen or so years ago now and I don't think I've eaten either one of those since.

yesitsme

Does everyone have some connection to Cadbury?  My mum worked for them too.  I think it's where I get my utter contempt for the Crème Egg from.

Icehaven

Not really a connection but I grew up in Coventry so had several school/friend's birthday party trips to Cadbury World in the early 90s, and now live in Birmingham and used to go past it on my way to and from work before I moved. And my old best mate lived in Bourneville for a while, and someone I work with lives there now. 

yesitsme

Caught the last five minutes of Tattoo Fixers on yer very own Channel 4 last night.  For me there's a lot of arrested development about wanting tattoos and this show does nothing to convince me otherwise.

You've got the desire to crayon all over yourself, added to the bravery of getting the word 'cunt' on your forearm all topped off with wanting it covered up with Snaglepuss - it all smacks of a five year old being as naughty as it can to me.

Anyway, no one speaks on this show with an adult voice.  It's all 'Awwww, how cuUuuUuuUuute!' and talking to the...what.. 'contestants'... 'victims'... 'patiients'... I don't know what to call 'em.

Anyway, stop speaking like a baby you baby voiced colouring book.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 22, 2018, 07:40:47 PM
Used to be the same in Liverpool with the Jacobs Biscuits factory in Aintree - the workers could buy binbags of Club seconds for a pound. My auntie used to work there so we had a regular supply (which was probably partly responsible for me ending up weighing 17 stone).

Clownbaby

Sarah Millican's pasta talk in that advert is grating on me, like parmesan onto some of the pasta that Sarah Millican is talking about-elli.

Ornlu

At least it wasn't 'rigatoni in ya riga-tummy!!'

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: yesitsme on September 24, 2018, 09:23:22 AM
Does everyone have some connection to Cadbury? 

I spent a few weeks twenty years ago driving minibus-loads of Mars workers around their various sites in Slough. Gorging on 50p carrier bags full of goodies meant I swore off chocolate until past the millenium despite out-smoking Irvin Rosenfeld at the time.

The infantilisation? The gurning anthropomorphic M&Ms all over the bus.

Sebastian Cobb

This shit dance at the end credits of This Week. Props to Bobby Gillespie sat in stoic silence refusing to be part of it.

https://twitter.com/DaveGorman/status/1053071018795909121?s=19

saltysnacks

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 19, 2018, 12:26:16 PM
This shit dance at the end credits of This Week. Props to Bobby Gillespie sat in stoic silence refusing to be part of it.

https://twitter.com/DaveGorman/status/1053071018795909121?s=19

I also love Gorman's response to that TimBobbins.

MoonDust

I'm in a WhatsApp group at work and someone messaged with "OMG has anyone else heard of this?" With a shocked face emoji. There was a picture associated with this of a spin off of Cards Against Humanity called Muggles Against Humanity (for those fortunate enough to not know the reference here, this means it's Harry potter related).

I was tempted to reply with "No, because I'm 28 years old." But I realised that's a bit harsh and was mostly coming from the fact I've been in an irritable and stressed out mood all week, so I didn't type that.

But still, the trend of grown adults being obsessed with children/teenage pop culture continues unimpeded.

Dex Sawash

Wife has been working to implement some data system thingy at the nonprofit she works for called Salesforce. All the training modules are little game-like things full of cartoon characters.
These cunts

She goes to conferences put on by Salesforce and comes home with loads of little stuffed animal versions of them.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 20, 2018, 12:27:57 PM
Wife has been working to implement some data system thingy at the nonprofit she works for called Salesforce. All the training modules are little game-like things full of cartoon characters.
These cunts

She goes to conferences put on by Salesforce and comes home with loads of little stuffed animal versions of them.

They look a bit like the animations on my Headspace app.

seepage

They're all doing this kind of thing - the message "we're going to launch Microsoft Teams" is accompanied by a bloody beardy hipster in an ikkle rocket.