Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:41:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantilisation

Started by touchingcloth, March 30, 2017, 11:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesitsme

There's part of me that says 'What harm are they doing?' but then there's another part of me that realizes that this is exactly the harmless activity these people do until they snap and go out and do a great deal of harm.

I'll show them.

I'll show them all.

buttgammon

Apologies if this is a bit too upsetting for this thread, but a week or two ago, I saw a grown man rather aggressively 'playfighting' with a four or five year old child on the tram. And calling him a "little fuckin' rat" over and over while grabbing him and shaking him. The kid didn't seem especially upset and was happily kicking back at him, but it seemed very very wrong, to the extent that I still wonder if I should've done something.

Twed

I listened to a podcast by mistake this morning based on somebody's wrong recommendation, and the patronising baby voice in it was enraging.

https://www.redhat.com/en/command-line-heroes/season-2/at-your-serverless

It starts right away in this, after the Al Gore soundbite. Stop talking to me like I'm a child. Talk to me like you'd talk to real people in a real conversation. This is the voice adverts use to tell me to consume something I don't need. It's exhausting.

yesitsme

American podcasts are almost universal awful for tee-heeing and giggling like schoolgirls.

Laughing at everything devalues what's truly funny. 

I challenge you to listen to Everything's Coming Up Podcast and the Duke and Duchess podcasts without hating all humanity within seconds.

Plus ECUP continually got the Simpsons wrong!  Stop getting the Simpsons wrong!

Twed

Quote from: yesitsme on December 04, 2018, 03:20:44 PM
American podcasts are almost universal awful for tee-heeing and giggling like schoolgirls.
There are a lot of good ones, but the "I've set out to do this as a career and have chosen this voice dripping with insincerity to do it in" ones are just terrible.

greenman

There does seem to be a strange phenomenon on Youtube generally were people talking about the same subjects all end up taking on the same speech patterns/voices.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: greenman on December 04, 2018, 04:12:52 PM
There does seem to be a strange phenomenon on Youtube generally were people talking about the same subjects all end up taking on the same speech patterns/voices.

Yes, the gaming ones my nephews watch, I would swear it's the same guy. Nasally, whiny, babyish SHIIIIIIIIIIITE. My nephews now talk like this.

Twed

Quote from: greenman on December 04, 2018, 04:12:52 PM
Yeah. English people are the worst for it, because they either integrate the Americanisms into their speech patterns (the younger crowd) or they go full-force Zippy from Rainbow combined with 90s games mags patter (Larry Bundy etc.).

Kids get their accents from their peers more than their parents, right? I'll look into it myself, but does anybody know of any studies where the globalised nature of society via social media has made it so that British kid's peers heavily include Americans on YouTube, affecting their local accents?

yesitsme

Quote from: Twed on December 04, 2018, 04:30:02 PM
Yeah. English people are the worst for it, because they either integrate the Americanisms into their speech patterns (the younger crowd) or they go full-force Zippy from Rainbow combined with 90s games mags patter (Larry Bundy etc.).

Kids get their accents from their peers more than their parents, right? I'll look into it myself, but does anybody know of any studies where the globalised nature of society via social media has made it so that British kid's peers heavily include Americans on YouTube, affecting their local accents?

Hi guyyzzzzzz! Ok, what yer gonna wanna do is...

I heard the above so often in our house that I found myself doing it all the time.  Couldn't stop.

Until I made myself stop.

As for peer pressure then of course that's going to triumph over the way yer ma an' da talk.  You only have to hear a 'Cockney' accent from the last 10 years or so to see how differently the yoof are talking these days.

My eldest has gone full blown ned over the last year.  I don't know whether to encourage it as I'd rather he spoke like this than some kind of Mockerican but I would rather he said his 'Ts' and didn't go 'Aye!' like some kind of Blantyre Ali G.

Cuellar

gonna wanna do can seriously EFF OFF

Ferris

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on December 04, 2018, 08:49:05 AM
Adult playfighting.

Took my son, as I do every Saturday morning, to a kids sports class down at the local martial arts centre. There's not usually any class on after this, but this time, a load of people started turning up. I assumed it was some kind of martial arts event that was due to start after the kids sports class, but no - as it turned out, they'd all turned up for an adult playfighting class. Apparently, it serves any purpose from finding your inner child to actual marriage counselling and what-not. Sounds like a load of old bollocks to me.

I'm a knacker on the rum - I'd love chance to hand out punishment post-booze. Is that what is being offered here?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 05, 2018, 02:52:46 AM
I'm a knacker on the rum - I'd love chance to hand out punishment post-booze. Is that what is being offered here?

You pack a fair wallop

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Bobtoo on December 02, 2018, 08:35:10 PM
I didn't send in the shit sample the NHS asked me for after I turned 50 in October so they sent me a reminder last week. It said that blood in your poo could be a sign of bowel cancer. Not faeces or stool, poo. They're getting fuck all from me until they can talk like adults.

posted a week or so back about my advisory/free colonoscopy; I said to them as they were yanking the camera back out "what's all that stuff that looks like rocks?" & the nurse said "poopoo" before remembering that I wasn't an infant & corrected herself to "faecal matter".

shiftwork2

On the fence about wee and poo (but not poop, Jesus, fuck off) in a health context because as I understand it there's good evidence it reduces embarrassment.  My department used to ask patients to shit in a box and then bring the box to the hospital.  Thankfully gone now, it was a test for internal bleeding - we weren't just doing it for the craic.  'Stool' was chosen and it went down well, it's a grown up word.  The big problem was around a quarter of the patients had no idea what the word meant with a few thinking their furniture was required.  Crazy that even with its unremarkable everyday usage, the best word - shit - would still be considered unacceptable.

Maurice Yeatman

I've just been asked "What are you still doing with a paper licence?" by TV Licensing.

QuoteCatching spiders. Making planes. Scribbling a shopping list. Paper's good for plenty of things, but your TV Licence is no longer one of them.
Fear not, we'll never ask you to produce the physical document.

There's also a photo of a child looking at a spider in a jar, and a cartoon of a spider to show me that my TV licence is safe on the web.

The Customer Service Manager finishes her letter with "Thanks again, that's all for now". You go careful there now my love.

Sebastian Cobb

They can't be trying to save paper. I've seen the shit they post when you don't have one.

Icehaven

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on January 15, 2019, 07:06:25 PM

There's also a photo of a child looking at a spider in a jar, and a cartoon of a spider...

They f*ckin what?!! They'll be getting sued for damages for PTSD if they send me pictures of sp.... of them.

Twed

Cuellar

Fucking...PAINTING used to be an Olympic sport. Poetry ffs.

Dex Sawash

Allons enfants de la pasteboard, morelike

Icehaven

Might have already been mentioned but Poundland have loads of products with cutesy names on the label like a bag of nails called 'Nailed It!' or a hammer saying 'Hit me baby one more time' or a water bottle is 'Water water everywhere' and so on. But even worse than those.

touchingcloth

Condoms saying "wrap it up before you slap it up, tee hee xoxox", FFS.

Quote from: icehaven on February 21, 2019, 05:38:14 PM
Might have already been mentioned but Poundland have loads of products with cutesy names on the label like a bag of nails called 'Nailed It!' or a hammer saying 'Hit me baby one more time' or a water bottle is 'Water water everywhere' and so on. But even worse than those.

Has anyone mentioned the growing trend for labels in clothes shops saying things like "I'm a delicate garment, please take care with your jewellery" or "I'm a bit prone to bobbling!".  Genuinely, I just want a cardigan to look nice.  A personality is not just unnecessary, but downright unnerving.

touchingcloth

Quote from: rectorofstiffkey on February 21, 2019, 11:45:35 PM
Has anyone mentioned the growing trend for labels in clothes shops saying things like "I'm a delicate garment, please take care with your jewellery" or "I'm a bit prone to bobbling!".  Genuinely, I just want a cardigan to look nice.  A personality is not just unnecessary, but downright unnerving.

I went to a hipster clothes store recently where they didn't have mannequins, but actual living people wearing the clothes and posing like mannequins, and when you walked past them they'd stroke the fabric and say "wash me on delicate" or "you can tumble dry me" followed by a sultry look and a wink.

I didn't really, but we can't be far off, you mark my words.

Twed

"When did this happen?"
"Oh, it didn't it's just this generic annoying man who lives inside my mind."

touchingcloth

That guy is such a cunt, I need to evict him.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 21, 2019, 11:58:13 PM
That guy is such a cunt, I need to evict him.

Nathan Barley jumps the shark

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 21, 2019, 11:32:01 PM
Condoms saying "wrap it up before you slap it up, tee hee xoxox", FFS

To be fair a lot of them are probably being bought by twelve year olds