Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:05:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pokémon Go

Started by Barry Admin, March 31, 2017, 06:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamfist

Lovely - thanks - got two of you on now :-)

king_tubby

Um, yes, both my accounts.

hamfist

Ah yes I remember reading about both of them !

I went on a walk round the city centre at lunchtime, won a 1* raid alone and got a reasonable Shieldon and completed a lot of quests. It's so different to how it was playing in the little village we were in over half-term, where everything was so scarce. Bumped up to level 22 today and loads of rewards for my son to claim tonight. He can evolve his Oddish buddy and the Bellsprout he likes.

I now also understand what a Sharpedo is - the other week he was yelling it at me in the swimming pool, with the emphasis very much on SharPEDO. He couldn't understand why I was laughing so much. Now I know what he was banging on about...

king_tubby

30 incense for 1 coin, increased spawns, more gifts and half egg distances - welcome to Pokemon Sofa. Community day cancelled.

hamfist

Is this a social distancing thing ? I noticed the fast hatching thing and was a bit confused why that was happening !

My kid had a shitty day at school yesterday and got into some trouble, not really his fault. As we got in the car I said to him "hey, wanna go smash a gym" and his face lit up - we took one over here in our village and he was all good again. I love this game.

After I dropped them at school this morning I checked out the PoGo stops / gyms in that village, there was a 1* raid on which I won, then found a Machoke standing right next to where I parked.

We need to walk a Feebas 20km to make it evolve, so it's coming on my run tomorrow afternoon.

Barry Admin

That's lovely, keep the heart-warming updates coming!

Have you and your wee man started learning to curve throw yet? Feels great, and gives a considerable catch bonus; very useful for raid bosses and the like.

king_tubby

Anyone got a big ol' pile of Relicanth then?

hamfist

Not one !

Been playing this a bit less since this covid business kicked off. We play it when I take the kids out for a long walk, to get a few eggs hatched and we also do a bit of incense now and again. We're the other end of the village to the 2 Pokestops & 1 Gym here, so it's easy to run out of balls - I'm looking forward to the remote raid feature they've been talking about.

We walked about 10km yesterday across the fields to the next village, all the way back my son was engrossed in a conversation with me about inventing new Pokemon. His favourite invention was "Quartzslime" - a ghost & rock type, shaped like a cluster of quartz crystals but made of ectoplasm. There's a Gigantamax version as tall as a skyscraper !

king_tubby

You had to have a ticket for the cancelled Liverpool Safari event to get Relicanth - they put on a load of special tasks and spawns for the people with one.

If I lived two houses further up the street I'd be in range of a gym with the new expanded radius. Very frustrating.

king_tubby

Did a socially distant trade and got me a Relicanth. Nice.

Also REMOTE RAIDS ARE GO.

Hastings

Hi folks, long time lurker here (*very* long time - probably over a decade! I mostly read the politics threads - mental health issues make it hard for me to join in the argument but it's always helpful to see you lot thrash it out).  I'm finally registering specifically to join this thread.  I too am based in Leeds and I too have a 7yr old son who is well into Pokemon - lovely coincidence. We started with Pokemon GO less than two weeks ago but have fallen in love with it - incorporating it into our officially sanctioned exercise and daily routines.

The boy has a small collection of cards and a squirtle plushie, which he adores, and chose a squirtle as our buddy which is now evolved to a wartortle.  We've absolutely caned the game so despite being new are now Level 20.  He seems to be pretty astute at tactics and all the egregious errors - using up loads of stardust on useless power ups etc. - have been my fault.  Whilst he's very much into collecting/gyms/buddies I'm using sorting out the 'admin' side as a very welcome distraction.  Staring at my phone cataloguing cartoon monsters seems much healthier than staring at my phone forlornly scrolling through twitter or despairing at the news.

We've done a bunch of gym battles and fought Team Rocket's goons at various Pokestops but no raids as yet, evolved all the various Eevee evolutions using the nickname method, got heartily sick of Volbeats etc. whilst on the sofa, out walking, or inbetween him doing laps of a local track on his bike.  I've attached it to Google Fit so am trading my personal data with faceless global corporations in order to hatch eggs and evolve a shiny Feebas... Our biggest effort was catching enough Abras to get evolve a Kadabra and then an Alikazam on Abra day.  That was tiring but we were pleased with ourselves.

Only a couple of things have marred the joy - and mainly for me rather than him.  We're effectively locked out of the Battle Leagues due to receiving the opportunity to catch Landorus as a 'reward'.  I have neither the skill nor the resources to do this (despite spending nigh on a tenner of actual money I can't really justify on a million bloody attempts) and YOU CAN'T SKIP IT!  Ugh.  Been online to read about it and there is much complaint about this.

Secondly, we don't know anyone else who is playing it so I'm concerned that we're about to be locked out of field research (two of our three tasks at the moment are 'trade a pokemon' and 'battle a trainer').  Might get my wife to put it on her phone too... Would we be OK sending friend requests to you good people in this thread?  The boy and I would love to get into exchanging gifts and all that.

OK, Team Instinct 4LYF!!!1!!!

Hastings

Ha, sorry my first ever post is such a whopper.

king_tubby

Yes - put your codes on, though I'm not sending many gifts at the moment, though I did get a surprise this morning when my buddy gave me a load.

Once you're at a high enough friendship level with each other you'll be able to battle and trade, so don't worry about that, just keep sending gifts.

Remote raids are now go, there's three passes for one coin in the shop at the moment, so get on that.

I've been playing for ever and have no interest in the Battle Leagues, yes there's some good rewards but the special pokemon will turn up in other areas sooner or later.

Leeds has a thriving community, if you join the Facebook group you can ask to be added to the raid chat for your location. Not many organised raids happening currently, obviously, but mine's still ticking along. There's also a Discord but I couldn't be bothered with that.

Cloud

I like that they've added all the lockdown features but will have to admit I've not even played it once since all this started.  To me it's "Pokemon Go, not Pokemon Sit On Your Arse" so loses its appeal as a static game.  Can't wait to get back to it when (if?!) the danger passes though.

Hastings

Thanks king_tubby, our code is

6569 4089 1113

I see hamfist posted his code upthread so I'll try that too.  I'm not on facebook but, thinking about it, I do know a big fan at work so will email them as well. Yeah, I noticed the remote raid promo and have take advantage of the one coin offer. Me and the lad are together all day Thu and Fri so may give that a go then. Good to be reassured about the Battle Leagues. Occasionally I chuck a ball at Landorus just to annoy him though.

Cloud - I've not played this out of lockdown yet and am very much looking forward to it but, being new to it I guess, we've still found plenty that can be done on a 1 to 2hr 'daily exercise' wander around the area.

Kryton

Quote from: Hastings on April 27, 2020, 10:01:44 PM
Ha, sorry my first ever post is such a whopper.

Not at all. It's what this thread is for. Glad you and your son are enjoying it.
Don't be shy either. Go chat in some other threads.

Hastings

Three friends added, thank you! Gifts sent.

...and cheers Kryton, I may well do.

hamfist

Hi Hastings

Loved your post, just like me & my son !

I saw your friend request and connected with you, look forward to hearing more about your adventures

Cloud

Quote from: Hastings on April 28, 2020, 09:37:34 PM
Cloud - I've not played this out of lockdown yet and am very much looking forward to it but, being new to it I guess, we've still found plenty that can be done on a 1 to 2hr 'daily exercise' wander around the area.

Oh yeah definitely - I played it on my 50ish minute lunchtime walks

It's pretty much as playable as it was at the moment, it's just a psychological thing with me!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.  Also check out Ingress sometime :)

Hastings

Hey hamfist - yes, it was your posts that convinced me to delurk!  Thanks for the gift - 10 x pokeballs and a revive.  I explained how we'd come to have (now 4) friends to the boy this morning and he was excited to open the gift and send you one in return.  He's already on about trades, battles and whatnot so we'll get stuck into that soon.

The kid isn't allowed games prior to 'school' but I've fallen into the habit of a walk around the estate first thing before settling down to work from home so I have the app open, alongside google fit, as I do so and spin pokestops, catch anything new or sought after, hatch an egg or two, and leave pokemon in friendly (yellow) gyms.  I then give him the 'pokenews' at lunchtime and he can do any evolves etc.  Today we have Koffing, Venipede and Machop all ready to go and Buddy Wartortle is now finding presents and doing catch assists - I laughed out loud when a hand appeared to bat back a countered pokeball!

Hey Cloud - yes, my walk to and from work is an hour each way and my place of work seems to be in a juicy hotspot so, for that one reason at least, I'll be glad to be back...

hamfist

You helped me out today Hastings - I wasn't aware of the Eevee nickname trick, we've been after Umbreon for ages and used that trick you mentioned today to get one :-)

Hastings

Heh, heh - we'd evolved three each of the first three before the boy wondered out loud how to get the others (he knew of their existence from the cartoons, it was news to me) and a quick google sorted us out. Very glad to help!

Hastings

hamfist - if you fancy doing some trainer battles send me a message with whatever time(s) suit you both. I'm sure our boy would be keen! A Sawk wandered into our front garden last night, was a surprisingly easy catch and is now a favourite...

Hastings

Thanks to whoever just sent a gift then gamely took part in a trainer battle when I pounced on them (king_tubby?)! That was the last task we needed to complete the eight sets that are part of this Kanto week. The boy is in bed but he'll be delighted in the morning. We've had a great PoGo week - walked a shiny feebas into a glorious Milotic, evolved our buddy watlrtortle into a Blastoise, caught a Snorlax offered as a research reward (a ridiculously ecstatic moment in the middle of the street) plus levelling up, gifting to friends and all that. My phone screen is constantly sticky because the house 'battle expert' eats dry cheerios with his fingers... Thanks again to you lot.

king_tubby

Yep, that was me. My Psystrike Mewtoo from the Kanto quest was appalling, hope yours will be better.

Hastings

Much obliged. Just got ours: 1755 CP, 117 HP, 20/90 - so nowt special but the lad is well pleased. Aiming for a Charixard now...