Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:30:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pokémon Go

Started by Barry Admin, March 31, 2017, 06:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Cool images! I've actually got way more back into PoGo though, I must admit.

I just got the compulsion again after that day in the park. It's frustrating though as I'm sort of in a semi-rural area, so I just can't farm enough balls. And Niantic are brilliant at giving you a new Pokemon to catch when you've just run out of balls, and swear you're not spending another fucking quid on them.

This Easter event is great, too. Having Pokemon Go running while you walk is much more rewarding than just collecting xm in Ingress.

I got home last night and ended up going out at midnight "for 20 minutes." This ended up being two hours, as when I got to the edge of the estate, I saw a rather under-used gym in an obscure location, and I'm at a level now where I can start fucking with gyms, even though I don't last long. Woke up to a knocked out critter this morning, dirty bastards.

When I got home again, though, luckily my three eggs hatched just as I was going through the door, and I got a 1227 CP Aerodactyl with a good move set! He's my best hatch yet, and apparently can normally be a right bollocks to find.

Also found a Ditto, which was a nice surprise.

Going out soon to buddy up the Aerodactyl and get more eggs on the go. This new temporary loot pool with the 2k eggs (and 5k as well, it seems) is really great stuff. Double XP too, although I'd recently done a mass evolution anyway, so missed out on a lot of quad xp goodness, but that's fine.

I love it. I really love this game.

Uncle TechTip

Had a little fun yesterday in ingress, I wanted to get out on the bike for half an hour so hatched out a plan to take the leading local's couch portal, always l8 and full of hack mods with one strong shield (and at the end of a good cycle path). He's known to pick up on attacks straightaway and is close enough to flip the portal with a Jarvis virus, meaning I can no longer attack it.

So I sneaked over and flipped it myself, no flips allowed for an hour so I was able to go home and return an hour later, flip it back and then start attacking, knowing that it couldn't be flipped to safety. Job done and back home. It was already l7 by the evening, meaning three l8 players had visited it. But it sends a message.

Barry Admin

Ha, love it.

It reinforces what I was thinking last night, on my mad ramble: AR really is going to be a big part of the future, isn't it? Having the real world as a playspace is quite awesome, and the merging of real life and technology is going to make for some absolutely killer games.

Edit: gah, on my way back to that semi-obscure gym and it's just been flipped to yellow. Okay good, I think I can get it back.

Barry Admin

Blimey, over three hours I was out. Had my first run-in with the peelers! I was walking in the park at 10, and actually initiated conversation with them as they passed by, as I wasn't sure if the park actually got locked at night.

They asked what I was up to anyway, as they'd had reports of a "suspicious male with longish hair." I dunno if it was actually me, as I was up a sort of cycle path area for ages just before I got to the park. I laughed though and told them I was playing Pokemon, and they were surprised anyone still bothered.

Great night anyway, some nice new ones to fill in gaps. Porgyon, a baby Pikachu, Bulbasaur, and a Machop - nothing high CP, but good to fill in the gaps, and I believe Machop is very good to have for gyms.

Barry Admin

Chucked a tenner at Niantic today as I'm having so much fun, and they've got me exercising again. Best finds/hatches tonight were a decent Scyther and Tangela.

I woke up in a really bad, irritable mood which just wouldn't shift all day, but was cheered by the disgusting animation of a Lickitung I found when I was out.

Hit level 20, evolved everything I could after popping a lucky egg for quad xp, and will hit 21 tomorrow. It's been a great event, and the egg hatching in general is genius, I bloody love it, and the extra variety has been great for a newb like myself.

Was gonna get a Pokémon Go+, but they're around 35 or 40 quid so, err, no.

My Pokédex is siting at 96 now, which seems ok, I think. I'm keen to see what the next events will be; this Easter one has been superb.

Barry Admin

Me just now: "that's not a Lapras, is it? OH FUCK, 1452 Lapras, get in!" Fucking chuffed, was dying to get a Lapras from one of these 2km eggs before the event ends tomorrow. Yaaaaaass.

Cloud

Only just got a Lapras myself a week or two ago after much waiting.  Same with Gyarados (thanks fishie event)

It's a quiet enough game now that you can keep a gym for an hour sometimes.  When it first launched they were switching within minutes.

Oddly I've not been collared by the rozzers, despite hanging around parks in a pony shirt (sorry madhair) with my phone out kicking children out of gyms.  Probably on some sort of watch list though!

I'd love to see more games like this, real world gaming is a lot of fun and great exercise. 

On Ingress I'm stuck at level 11, got enough AP for 12 but need 2 more gold badges.  My most likely are mind control (build another 150 fields) and the link building one (throw about another 2000 links)

Barry Admin

That's interesting, I didn't know you needed gold medals to advance. What's your record for Guardian? I'm gonna have to take some bus trips further afield and get back into Ingress more seriously, I'll be getting out on my bike again this summer too, yay.

Actually ended up hatching ANOTHER Lapras two hours later, and he seems a bit better. Higher HP, and an A attacking moveset rather than the first ones B moveset.

The only thing that is bugging me is I still can't get enough balls, and it's getting harder now I'm level 21! The loot poll at pokestops is much bigger so now I can spin and not get a single ball back. Pissing me off. I am more than happy to throw a few quid into the game every now and again, but I don't want to be forced to do so by shitty and manipulative game mechanics.

So much I want to do, anyway, that I can see the game lasting me for months. I was buddying up a magikarp as I really want a Gyarados myself, and farming 350km seems like a nice challenge. I really want to start on the Eevee evolutions, and know the name tricks and stuff there. I guess my immediate priorities for now, though, are to get my Aerdodactyl and Lapras' powered up.

I'm actually totally busted from this event! My feet are aching, and I'm tired but having great fun. Last day of the event today, so I'll give it one last push when I get up later, and then take a bit of a break for a day or two. Well, I mean, I'll still go out to some nearby stops, just to keep my streaks up, obviously.

Barry Admin

People seem to think the contents of eggs are determined when you pick them up rather than when they hatch. So it's last call to stock up on event eggs, if you're interested. The double xp and all that ends tonight around 8 I believe. I'm gonna head out now and get hatchin'

Barry Admin

You know that semi-obscure gym I was fighting over at the weekend? A lvl 35 player has stuck a 3206 Dragonite in it. Flipped it to red and stuck a 69 cp Magikarp in as an insult. Then renamed it to "Yer Ma."

My first spot of "karping", lovely stuff.

Cloud

I have the black badge for guardian, 167 days.  I was lucky in that for a while our town had no smurfs at all and active frogs who kept recharging everything, my guardian turned out to be a map in the middle of town that nowadays doesn't last 2 days.

Also have the black recharger badge.

Heavily behind on the destroying and deploying kind of stuff though for the same reason as I got the Guardian badge - for ages there was no opposition (and I don't travel all that much, which also limits uniques)

Ironically in PoGo I am constantly throwing away pokeballs.  I do gyms a lot, so need room for potions!  And seem to always get a ton of balls, so usually have like 100 of the blue balls and 50 of the yellow ones and bin the red ones.

Pretty sure the contents of eggs are indeed decided when you get them, there was an event a bit ago and the "special" ones were further down my list.

Other people don't see what you've named your Pokémon btw. I think the reasoning is people could communicate (the horror!)

Uncle TechTip

Barry, as a RES agent in ingress you should check out www.smurftheearth.com , an upcoming event organized by res agents for res agents (not niantic) with a website you can plug into. Week 1 and week 3 of May, smash and build everywhere, all over the world. As ENL I expect the game to shut down for these periods. You might not have heard of agent-stats.com which tracks your stats and gives progress projections. I imagine this does similar.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 20, 2017, 11:00:32 PM
Barry, as a RES agent in ingress you should check out www.smurftheearth.com , an upcoming event organized by res agents for res agents (not niantic) with a website you can plug into. Week 1 and week 3 of May, smash and build everywhere, all over the world. As ENL I expect the game to shut down for these periods. You might not have heard of agent-stats.com which tracks your stats and gives progress projections. I imagine this does similar.

Oh lovely, thanks mate, will check those out, and do my bit to smash you stinking frog basts. 

I looked at the reddit when I couldn't sleep last night, and Niantic pissed me off a bit. They're evidently offering people codes if they tweet their Ingress profiles to them. Urgh. I guess I try to deliberately forget that I'm swapping loads of my personal data and movements about the world in exchange to play their games, and even willingly paying them money for the privilege.

"We love to see your profiles" is such a lame, bullshit thing to say, but I didn't bother posting that to reddit as I knew I'd get downvoted to oblivion or banned or something.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Cloud on April 20, 2017, 10:08:43 PM.
Other people don't see what you've named your Pokémon btw. I think the reasoning is people could communicate (the horror!)

Ahh ok, right enough I guess I've never seen any named ones, except through screenshots. I guess the child safety stuff does take away some potential fun. I mean, you can work out who flipped a gym, but aren't explicitly told.

On the other hand, I had a million alerts from Ingress this week when some guy attacked one of my portals, and took out a resonator. It shit me up a bit, made me wonder if he's testing the area out to see the response. It also made me aware that I've got a large area covered, with this estate, and I'm not as safe as I thought.

Interesting PoGo changes in the last few days btw, which seem to be about trying to stop some of the botting and sniping and stuff.

I'm kind of expecting a big update very soon, perhaps bringing in trading and the promised gym update. It would be surprising I'd they didn't try and make PoGo a big thing again this summer, and mount a concerted effort to lure all the casuls back. I'm a bit gutted I missed that and only really experienced it as a phenomena through here.

Barry Admin

Cloud

Yes!

I put a lure on the pokestop near to the pub but alas, I'm not close enough to see any of the spawns.

Attended a Mewtwo raid today!  Sadly I didn't get an invitation as I live about 7 miles away and hadn't raided that gym in the required 2-3 weeks prior but went for moral support and ended up playing to help someone who had 5 devices (much like the MLP movie I went to after they picked a bizarre time slot for this raid that fell on "when all the kids are in school" so people were bringing their kids phones).  Didn't catch it, a few did.  Was great to see about 30 people loitering by a church trying to acquire a virtual creature!

Barry Admin

I'd only got in last night, then went straight out again! This is a great event, I missed the last one as I was ill, and it seems like hardly any 2k eggs were dropping anyway. I'm still desperate for a Blissey. Popped some incense last night and got the special pikachu straight away.

Just kind of getting back into it lately. The day the site got hacked the first time, I was out in Lisburn just to play these games, and it kind of ruined them for me, somehow. Also have some issues with the raids; really don't want to have to go back to Facebook just to try and find a raiding group, and hate missing out on all this stuff. They really, really need Ingress-style comms, but that will clearly never happen.

Was funny last week actually, I presumed everyone here was spoofing as I've only ever met one guy. Then I went down on Friday midnight, and the two people I was knocking out of the gym turned up. We were chanting for ages, then a car pulled up, dropped two pokeys off, and left. Finally another guy in his 50's turned up to take down the gym.

Found my first couple of 100 IVs this past week or two, yay. I've nearly walked up my Geodude now and hope for a good moveset. Enjoying gyms a lot more and working on my gold badges, which can be challenging down in the village! Someone kept knocking me out the other night and it turned into a mad war of attrition - he must have been sat in the pub nearby.

Spent about two or three hours sorting through my pokeys the other day, to get more competitive for gyms and low level raids. I've been hoarding my stardust pretty much since the start, and used Pokegenie to work out and note my guys who have the best movesets. Bunged about 150k stardust into them!

Nearly at level 29 now, woo.

Cloud

I also don't have a Blissey yet!  I'm fussy and want a high IV one - probably a bit pointless really.  By the time I evolve a 'good enough' Chansey they'll have nerfed it.

I wish on the comms, unfortunately with it having a lot of kids I can't see it happening (even though they're perfectly happy to encourage people to meet face to face!).  They're terrified of being held liable for something bad happening.  I'd just create a semi-fake Facebook account and use it just for that?  Some groups apparently use Discord instead, but the problem there is you have to already know a member to find out what their Discord server is.  I got lucky in that I speculatively wandered to one of the first legendary raids and found the local group then asked how they organised and got let in, but could have just searched for local groups on Facebook and found the thread.
Honestly IMO it's very worth it.  YMMV I guess, but I'm all about the people/communities in these things and find it absolutely great to join up with likeminded people and cheer for them when they catch a legendary.

Loads of people spoof and loads of people do it by car.  To each their own, it doesn't appeal to me at all.  As one of our group said "it's Pokemon Go, not Pokemon Sit On Your Arse".  I get a lot more satisfaction knowing I walked from place to place and really put the physical effort into my collection!

Nice one on the 100s.  I went to my first Suicine raid and got a 100% IV straight away, the group was VERY jealous (but happy for me) ;)
Knocking each other off can be another good thing when it comes to having a communication group - you get friendly with the other sides and have a lot of "please can you take me off soandso gym" to maximise coins.  I love those pub wars.

I bought the premium Pokegenie, great app.  I have about a 92% IV Zapdos and used months of stardust getting that maxed (I'm Instinct so it's a matter of honour)

33 here.  Incidentally legendary raids are 10000 xp, or 20000 with a lucky egg ;)

Mister Six

I've just got one of those fancy new Pixel 2s, so downloaded Ingress to give it a try, and despite being a bit baffled at first - I was half asleep with cold, I think, so didn't grasp what was going on, but I'll maintain that the UI is incredibly counterintuitive - I spent a pleasant half hour or so wandering around the local park blasting baddie nodes (sorry blues) and reclaiming some portals.

I don't think I really have the time or mental space to get properly into the social aspect so I doubt I'll ever get heavily into this, but I like the idea of being able to add interesting bits of my neighbourhood to the game, in a kind of digital Easter egg hunt. At what level can I start to do that? Because I think that's probably what I'll use it for - kind of like an interactive Instagram.

Barry Admin

Ugh, a frog! :-)

I believe you have to be level 11 to submit portal, and I'm still only level 8 myself. Mind you, I got bored with it after I hit level 8. Unless you can travel, and want to get into the social side of it, then it's a bit boring, really.

PoGo is a lot more fun, and this Halloween event on at the minute is great. Although it seems like a more simplistic game, it just has something about it that keeps you coming back, especially if you like collecting things, and walking. The gym stuff is way, way better now too.

Cloud, got my 100 IV Golem evolved last night thanks to this event, yaaas. Got my first Fast TM too.

Mister Six

Cheers for the info. I'll keep tootling along for now and see how things go.

Barry Admin

Let us know how you get on. You might want to look into glyph hacking to get more gear and XP. Try and keep a couple of portals near you - or in an out-of-the-way place - recharged every few days, so you can work on your Onyx Guardian badge. (Higher levels requiring certain badges is actually one feature that's brilliant, and unique to Ingress.)

There's finally gonna be an anomaly here next month, so I am looking forward to that.

Best thing to do with Ingress is to get into town and look for missions to complete. Sometimes, if you do them in a specific order, they'll make a lovely mosaic on your page. I should really get back to doing those, but as I say, Pokémon is much more fun and compelling, and I absolutely love walking eggs.

Give us a shout if you need any help and I'm sure Cloud or me will chip in.

Edit: oh and this took me weeks to figure out, but resonators actually deploy where you are standing, so you'll want to kind of be on the edge of the portal when you deploy, so that all the resonators aren't tightly clustered together. Makes them slightly more of a pain to take out.

Mister Six

Cheers. Got a lot on at the mo so I'll probably my just fiddle with it for now before I delve into fully. Luckily I live in the city itself so hopefully won't have to travel too far to do a mission.

Barry Admin

Hit level 29!  Got the five new pokeys too. My 100IV Golem came out with a BA or A-/A moveset, and apparently is going to be very handy against legendary birds. I've started doing 1 and 2 star raids again now to get my gym badges ranked up, didn't realise that made such a difference.

Have to keep walking my Golem to get him powered up, and 0.5 km per candy at the minute will really help with that. Next project will likely be to walk up my other 100 IV, which is an Exeggcute - I really like the Exeggutor I already have. Then maybe I'll power up some Scythers or something. I've got a 96AA Scizor who needs some love - he wrecks shit.

Here's my best boys at the minute:

Let's see yours Cloud.

Barry Admin

Came into town to farm items, as my bag is seriously depleted. Saw a 3-star raid, headed to it and noticed the gym turning red just as it started. Sure enough, a guy was there tapping away. Then a scouser joined and the three of us took down my first Alakazam, yeoooo! 96 IV!

Me and the scouser then walked quickly to the other side of town to fight a Machamp, thankfully we both got him. 87 IV, not bad. Filled a few gaps on the way, too.

The stardust grind is real! I'm below 1000 now, for the first time since I started.

Barry Admin

Headed round to try and get a Suicune, but only two guys turned up, so I joined the discord and tried to get some more people there. No joy, but I'm glad I finally have this connection with the community, gonna try and get this and the next legendary.

Walked round to try and 3-man a Charizard, and had a great time with these two lads. The scouse guy from earlier told me about one of those sites where bots find where everything is. No fucking way I wanna use that, totally ruins the game!

Then I got home and bumped into two local players, and chatted with them for ages. Right, last night I was out for three hours looking for a shiny Sableye, to no avail. I bumped into my mate when I was going out and told him about the shiny - he's high level but doesn't have a clue. Anyway just as I am arriving home with no shiny, he rings me up and says "here, just opened PoGo and caught one of them shinys." Caught it sitting on his fucking sofa, and I'd just walked past his house five minutes previous.

Turns out he then wanted to show off his shiny! So he was working today, but he got pissed last night and started knocking these two other locals out of the gym constantly. They were walking down in their jammies just to knock him out again, it was a real war of attrition that went on to 3am! Hahahahaha.

It's great to - all of a sudden - have all this contact with the community. Pokémon people are the best people. Fucking fairly touched though, usually, but sure that's all part of the fun. 

Cloud

I was lucky with the Guardian badge in Ingress, my town had no competition for like a year so one of the random portals ended up black guardian without me even noticing for 90% of it.  It did almost get taken a day or two before, though, leading me to recharge like heck and get 4 axas on it!

Now I'm level 13 (after getting sojourner up to the gold badge I needed) I now actually have all the badges I need to get to 16.  It's just a very long and very boring grind.  I'm honestly pretty bored of it now as there's no competition around here and only really open it up to see how far I can get sojourner to go.  Which will probably end up abandoned when I go camping on Sunday...

Having a lot more fun with Go in general, but Ingress still superior for sightseeing due to the missions...

The Pokemon Go group is a great bunch of people and good banter in general in the chat.

At one point I was taking down a gym and saw there was another player, and heard a voice around the corner saying "there's someone else!" - fortunately it turned out we're both yellow so I didn't steal it from him which is good as he was about 6/7 and I would have felt a bit mean.  I peeked round after and said "well done team" to him and his minder and he insisted on a scroll through my pokedex which garnered a lot of "wowwwww"s, he was well impressed... that made my day, I don't often get to be cool :p

Barry Admin

Up at 9 this morning to raid, had to dry my clothes with a hairdryer! Got him on my second raid, luckily the second gym was Valor so I had gym control. Crashed mid-raid and just about got in again, and then...

Yaaaaaassss!

Cloud

Nice work! :D

We get so much crashing it's incredible.  And every raid has at least one "back out, everyone!"

Barry Admin

Thank you. Mate I am busted. Met two I know from the estate who kept pushing me to go further and further to try and find a shiny. Just missed the 10:30 bus, waiting on the last bus home. Caught 5 in the end, 91 was my last and best. Amazing fun day, but I am fucking busted and my feet absolutely hate me.