Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:25:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pokémon Go

Started by Barry Admin, March 31, 2017, 06:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Botherer

Here's my friend code anyway: 8725 3639 0945

Still a bit overwhelmed by the more technical stuff in the game. Have a working knowledge of IVs from playing on the DS back in college but I'm no expert. Are some Pokémon weather, seasonal or geography specific? I feel like I should be seeing more variation.

Took a run at a Machamp raid by myself and got it down to half HP. My best Pokémon is only at around 1800 CP so I thought that wasn't a bad showing really. My problem is I don't usually have time to wait around for people to join in on raids.

Hobo

Friend request sent. (I'm Flynn Daff in game).

There are Regional Pokemon, and you just missed an event where some were available through 7km egg hatches so occasionally they can be caught outside of their home regions.

https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/regional-pokemon-list#1

There are 'counter' pokemon that do more damage in raids. These are particular to an individual Pokemon (for example, Machamp is particularly weak against Alakazam and Espeon). Plenty of online guides for Raids detailing counters and weather boosts etc.

There's a lot of things to learn so it's best to pick it up as you go along.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Hobo on January 10, 2019, 05:39:09 PM
Friend request sent. (I'm Flynn Daff in game).

There are Regional Pokemon, and you just missed an event where some were available through 7km egg hatches so occasionally they can be caught outside of their home regions.

https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/regional-pokemon-list#1

There are 'counter' pokemon that do more damage in raids. These are particular to an individual Pokemon (for example, Machamp is particularly weak against Alakazam and Espeon). Plenty of online guides for Raids detailing counters and weather boosts etc.

There's a lot of things to learn so it's best to pick it up as you go along.

Just accepted!

Most of my mons are too shit for much strategy yet so I'm mostly hitting gyms with raw power. Most of the ones i've caught so far have been stuff like Slugmas and Gulpins, but my Arcanine is looking decent after I caught a bunch of Growlithes. Caught a kickass Scyther yesterday but have fuck all candy for it.

Just leaving Magikarp as my companion for right now. Can't beat a good Gyarados.

Dog Botherer

Just looked at that list there, I have Tauros, Sevipers, and Illumises for trade, if anyone needs em.

king_tubby

Sadly you can only trade if you're within 100m of the other player.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: king_tubby on January 10, 2019, 06:50:23 PM
Sadly you can only trade if you're within 100m of the other player.

Well that's annoying.

king_tubby

Oh, and if possible join your local raid chat. I didn't bother until last autumn, and consequently missed getting all the legendaries with actual uses, rather than the half arsed shite they've been flinging at us since. Also raid as much as you can at Ex gyms. If you get a pass and are able to get there for the Ex raid there should be a ton of other poindexters you can befriend and help beat the big bosses.

Saturday is a community day too, so 10 til 1 there will be a massively increased spawn of Totodiles, with a better chance of getting a shiny. Parks and town centres could well see lots of people wandering about hunched over their phones, so again, see if you can tag along, as these people will know what they're doing.

king_tubby

Quote from: Dog Botherer on January 10, 2019, 07:33:16 PM
Well that's annoying.

Indeed it is. I have a friend who lives within range but she's very casual and barely plays at the moment. God dammit.

king_tubby

And definitely get Calcy IV or the iPhone equivalent. I shudder to think how many good pokes I binned off over the first 18 months, and still cringe at some of the absolute rubbish I spent loads of candy and dust powering up.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: king_tubby on January 10, 2019, 07:37:20 PM
And definitely get Calcy IV or the iPhone equivalent. I shudder to think how many good pokes I binned off over the first 18 months, and still cringe at some of the absolute rubbish I spent loads of candy and dust powering up.

Ehhh not sure I'm going to get that competitive with it. Probably just gonna be casually doing gyms and raids as a way to build the aul Pokedex, do I still need to fuck with all the IV stuff if so?

Barry Admin

Not if you don't want to. It can be good for stuff like soloing raids etc though, like Tyranitar can now be soloed instead of just duoed. My friend and I got the new legendary duoed when it first came out, that was awesome.

Worth trying to evolve a good Totodile today before 2pm, it's the highest non-legendary water attacker with the community day move. So in other words Blast Cannon will put it just behind Kyogre, and it could be a while before Kyogre is in boxes or raids again.

Dog Botherer

So I needed to evolve it yesterday for it to be any good?

Fuck sake. What am I gonna do with my 53 Totodiles now.

Barry Admin

(Hydro Cannon not blast cannon, to correct myself.)

Yes, you have an hour after community day ends, now. I only got one shiny as I didn't go to Titanic, given I want to actively stay away from most of the community these days. But it was decent and I evolved the great IV ones I'd kept.

So yeah, it all comes around again eventually. I'd keep some Totodiles back, ideally the ones with best IVs, or the highest level ones - but your stuff will be low level anyway as you're a noob, so yeah, don't worry too much, just keep grinding. You need to evolve a magikarp anyway and Gyarados is still decentish DPS so that or a vaporeon will keep you going until Kyogre or hydro cannon Feraligator comes back again. BTW don't put Gyarados in gyms.

Dog Botherer

Got a shiny with great IVs. Hail Satan.

king_tubby

Bah, I had to work.

Sort of enthused slightly about shiny Feebass - the Milotic looks very cool. But 20km to evolve when I could be getting candy for more useful stuff...

king_tubby

Chuffed that Kygore and Groudon are coming back.

1) I don't have them, as I wasn't in the local raid chat when they were about.

2) They're useful.

Barry Admin

I still need a Groudon, yay. Got two maxed out Kyogres though, one a shiny although with only 13 attack, but still love it and took it to level 40. Wouldn't put money into more. Hopefully Groudon also gets a new move as he's still a bit lacking there.

Still waiting for Rayquaza to come back as a shiny, the king of DPS!

Fambo Number Mive

Collected a load of Pokemon today and yesterday. Some really cute ones as well. This bloke keeps wanting me to do some scientific mission for him but I'd rather just collect Pokemon for now. What is the next step for Pokemon novices when I get bored of it or fill up all my slots? This is still very new to me.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 16, 2019, 11:48:17 AM
Collected a load of Pokemon today and yesterday. Some really cute ones as well. This bloke keeps wanting me to do some scientific mission for him but I'd rather just collect Pokemon for now. What is the next step for Pokemon novices when I get bored of it or fill up all my slots? This is still very new to me.

I only started playing a couple of weeks back and I'm still just enjoying collecting all of em. Try doing the daily field researches, you'll get to catch legendaries that don't spawn in the wild that way.

Dog Botherer

Got an Alolan Grimer from an egg from a gift from one of yous, WHICH IS NICE.

Twed

My trainer code is 4826 5080 7991 in case anybody needs 10,000XP sometime soon.

I didn't realise how popular gyms get when raids are updated. From the comfort of my own sofa I enjoyed a 19-player raid with complete strangers last night.

king_tubby

You can hit a gym from your sofa? WELL JELL.

The house I lived in before this one would have been able to.

Twed

Really enjoying receiving gifts from across the ocean. Weird little sense of connection.

Hobo

Evansville, Indiana?

And 'Noknowncure' We are about to go Bestest buddies, so do you have preferred time you'd like to put an egg on?

Hobo

I've been trying to send you a gift from the stop at Harlaxton a few miles up the road from where I live. It's part of the University of Evansville. 

Twed

Quote from: Hobo on January 18, 2019, 12:46:40 PM
Evansville, Indiana?
I mean in the other direction. It's really satisfying to get something from Cheam.

Almost every gift I will ever give is from "Notre Dame Bridge", so enjoy the novelty while it lasts. I just realised that you can see my apartment window in the icon. Pokemon Go (and my big mouth) has become a security risk.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Hobo on January 18, 2019, 03:16:07 PM
I've been trying to send you a gift from the stop at Harlaxton a few miles up the road from where I live. It's part of the University of Evansville.

Hah, small fuckin world

Barry Admin

One shiny Feebas here, much the same for most people I talked to today, the odd person got 2. Got my first Groudon, finally, though, and IT was shiny :-D drove round doing raids with people after the event ended, for the first time in ages, and had a ball playing Ingress at the same time. I love it far more, these days, but keep my hand in with PoGo. Would have liked more shiny Feebas as Milotic is one of my faves, but the one I got was decent and I'll probably max it out, evolve it and stick it in gyms with my other two.

Dog Botherer

Soloed a gym and wiped it out myself, pretty pleased. Then panicked and left a Victreebell there to hold it but y'know, fuck it, be grand.