Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:06:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pokémon Go

Started by Barry Admin, March 31, 2017, 06:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

I'll probably get back into POGo a bit more again over the summer. I wish I could sleep, I'm gonna be up at 8:30 to go for Lapras day, with a crazy raid group who did about 53 raids last time there was a 3 hour window. It's in cars, tap and go style, as soon as the lobby closes and then raid proper starts, we leave and drive to the next one. I've got about 23 passes from my free coins, so along with the 5 free ones, I hope I get a few shiny Lapras. We've also got Machamp, Rock and Electric teams ready so we can take the Lapras down as quick as possible, depending on what type of weather boost there is. It's like a military operation with these guys, I love em.

Good shiny luck to you all if you're raiding.

Cloud

Yo Horsefat

Another attempt to shout up before I open a gift and we become besties!

Hi Cloud. Yeah, let me know when you plan to open the gift and I'll get an egg on. Appreciate the heads up.

Cloud

Let's see if we can coordinate lurking the forum in order to coordinate gift opening :D

I'll start with saying 22:00 which may be a bit sudden but won't open unless you confirm on here
Will set a couple of reminders and see how it goes

Try for 16:00 Sunday?

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 25, 2019, 01:51:39 AM
I'll probably get back into POGo a bit more again over the summer. I wish I could sleep, I'm gonna be up at 8:30 to go for Lapras day, with a crazy raid group who did about 53 raids last time there was a 3 hour window. It's in cars, tap and go style, as soon as the lobby closes and then raid proper starts, we leave and drive to the next one. I've got about 23 passes from my free coins, so along with the 5 free ones, I hope I get a few shiny Lapras. We've also got Machamp, Rock and Electric teams ready so we can take the Lapras down as quick as possible, depending on what type of weather boost there is. It's like a military operation with these guys, I love em.

Good shiny luck to you all if you're raiding.

need to get into a group, rocked up to do a raid solo, saw 23000 CP, spun the disc and left. not a hope.

worked out i can generally handle anything up to 15000, at a push. unfortunately limits me to one and two star raids, which are not very common anyway.

Barry Admin

You should be able to solo three star raids too. They're all soloable with the right counters powered up - with the single exception of Shuckle. Can't fuckle with Shuckle. Working upto doing Machamp raids sole is one of the best parts of the game.

Anyway we got 46 done yesterday, I did about 27, didn't spend a penny, all passes bought with gym coins. Got two shinies, and a couple of 98 and 96 IV ones. Great day, intense, I didn't know I'd be raiding for someone else again as well, I didn't want to :-( but he gave me a lift for this and Gengar day so I'm happy to help out. Also played a bit of Ingress at the same time, hahaha. Was exhausted afterwards.

He also made a LAMINATED route for the three drivers, it also has a CP/IV chart on it.  I kept it as a souvenir, I'll put a pic up. Next time they are going to rehearse the drivers beforehand to try and hit 50. Gengar Day was 42 or 44, but upto 46 now with a route change.

Quote from: Cloud on May 25, 2019, 07:08:51 PM
Let's see if we can coordinate lurking the forum in order to coordinate gift opening :D

I'll start with saying 22:00 which may be a bit sudden but won't open unless you confirm on here
Will set a couple of reminders and see how it goes

Try for 16:00 Sunday?

Sorry, I absolutely suck at this.
Yup, 16:00 is perfect.
Thanks again!

Cloud

Quote from: Horselover Fat on May 26, 2019, 02:34:17 PM
Sorry, I absolutely suck at this.
Yup, 16:00 is perfect.
Thanks again!

Haha all fine, usually behind on the forums myself

I'll set an alarm for 4 and open at 4:03

jonbob

I've been getting into pokego and have got a research thing to make 3 friends, because I am a typical forum dweller I have no irl friends who play,  if anyone feels like helping out my code is  6902 9902 1574

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 26, 2019, 11:39:23 AM
You should be able to solo three star raids too. They're all soloable with the right counters powered up - with the single exception of Shuckle. Can't fuckle with Shuckle. Working upto doing Machamp raids sole is one of the best parts of the game.

Anyway we got 46 done yesterday, I did about 27, didn't spend a penny, all passes bought with gym coins. Got two shinies, and a couple of 98 and 96 IV ones. Great day, intense, I didn't know I'd be raiding for someone else again as well, I didn't want to :-( but he gave me a lift for this and Gengar day so I'm happy to help out. Also played a bit of Ingress at the same time, hahaha. Was exhausted afterwards.

He also made a LAMINATED route for the three drivers, it also has a CP/IV chart on it.  I kept it as a souvenir, I'll put a pic up. Next time they are going to rehearse the drivers beforehand to try and hit 50. Gengar Day was 42 or 44, but upto 46 now with a route change.

slowly grinding my way up to getting good enough mons for serious raids, still only on 32 so have a ways to go.

there's a crew that sound like your lot around here. flying around in cars, hitting every gym on our side of town, running from raid to raid. one of them has his twitch stream displayed very prominently with several stickers on his vehicle.  very irritating since i often can't keep my guys in gyms for more than a few hours as a result.

two new gyms went up near my house in the last couple of days, dropped a pokémon off at one, 3500 cp dragonite, srs biznes. lasted about half an hour before they noticed and mulched him. maybe i'm just used to small town pokémon go and you big city folks are used to the competitive stuff but i'm lazy. anyway, got my revenge this morning and planted a snorlax who lasted a more respectable 8 hours.

Dog Botherer

lost the Plus for a few days there and it made me realized how insanely plugged in to the game it makes you. i'd end up spending half an hour every evening IV checking a bunch of dross and keeping a small handful. it was becoming a slog and the few days off was like a breath of fresh air. instead of mashing a button for hours at a time, i'd manually catch the stuff i wanted, which turns out to be a lot less than i was getting with the plus.

might reassess how i use it so it doesn't burn me out so much. any ideas? the dust and exp is nice but i'm not sure it's worth it if it kills my interest in the game.

olliebean

I just downloaded this today because I heard someone on a podcast saying how it had helped them get out more and walk around the place to get some exercise, and I thought I could do with something like that.

Turns out it doesn't work without a constant internet connection, and I'm not wasting my PAYG credit on mobile data for it, so sod that.

Is there anything sort of like Pokemon Go, but which works out of the house without an internet connection? It's fine if it has to download maps and stuff before I leave, just as long as it doesn't go into a strop and freeze me out as soon as I'm out of wifi range like Pokemon Go does.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Dog Botherer on June 17, 2019, 06:59:10 PM
lost the Plus for a few days there and it made me realized how insanely plugged in to the game it makes you. i'd end up spending half an hour every evening IV checking a bunch of dross and keeping a small handful. it was becoming a slog and the few days off was like a breath of fresh air. instead of mashing a button for hours at a time, i'd manually catch the stuff i wanted, which turns out to be a lot less than i was getting with the plus.

might reassess how i use it so it doesn't burn me out so much. any ideas? the dust and exp is nice but i'm not sure it's worth it if it kills my interest in the game.

Get rid, sounds like you've decided already.

I've refused to get one, because firstly money, but also I like to know I've manually caught everything. I'm at around 44,300 catches now. As I mainly play Ingress now, my catching has slowed right down, and I should really have a Plus or Gotcha to be gathering dust.

I don't tend to fast catch anymore for similar reasons as you cite. It's a great trick that gets rid of the wiggle and end screen, but yeah, I remember having to come I and sit IV checking and deleting for half an hour. Sort of enjoyed it, but definitely also sort of felt like a massive chore.

So now I tend to just catch manually, appraise and delete on the spot.

Thinking about finally stopping appraising EVERYTHING and only doing it with meta relevant stuff, but I like to know when I've caught perfects, or particularly good examples of useless shit. Hoarding wanker.

Looking forward to shiny Raikou btw. Suicune gets the best looking shiny of the beasts, but is shit, whereas Raikou is still very meta relevant.

Dog Botherer

i've decided to keep it for now, gonna start using the in-game appraisal on all the non important stuff to quickly weed them out. i'd much rather screencap a couple dozen or so useful mons rather than a mixed bag of a hundred. that way i can add a few more perfect iv's to my collection while only spending a few minutes wrestling with the buggy Poke Genie.

i am gonna try to manually catch more often now though, especially when i'm not at work. been working on curveballs the last few days and i can get pretty consistent Nice curves on most pokémon, which is more fun than spamming berries and ultra balls like i started out doing.

Barry Admin

That's the other thing about a Gotcha, your throwing does suffer. Keep practicing curves and you'll be hitting greats and excellents in no time. As I sometimes have a phone in each hand, and for a challenge, I sometimes just now throw with my dominant thumb, instead of my dominant forefinger. I've gotten surprisingly good at it! 

I don't have Poke Genie installed, and haven't for a while now, but I generally wouldn't have taken a screenshot and checked it unless the appraisal was particularly promising. If it's not tier 1, and 15 attack, it goes in the bin. Unless it's some of the truly dumb shit I hoard, like certain types of level 1's, of which I have waaaaayy too many.

Noonling

Quote from: olliebean on June 17, 2019, 10:49:23 PM
I just downloaded this today because I heard someone on a podcast saying how it had helped them get out more and walk around the place to get some exercise, and I thought I could do with something like that.

Turns out it doesn't work without a constant internet connection, and I'm not wasting my PAYG credit on mobile data for it, so sod that.

Is there anything sort of like Pokemon Go, but which works out of the house without an internet connection? It's fine if it has to download maps and stuff before I leave, just as long as it doesn't go into a strop and freeze me out as soon as I'm out of wifi range like Pokemon Go does.

Not that I know of, alas.

Depending on where you live you might still be able to play a fair amount off wifi from pubs etc that you pass - I even used to briefly connect to bus wifi if they were in traffic nearby.

My PAYG is 1p per MB - which for me is fine for PoGo, though I don't use it daily.

Barry Admin

Couldn't sleep again so went out a walk and to do some Ingress hacking in the very early hours. Finally caught a shiny rat, woohoo! It had just despawned aa I was not quite near enough, so I moved back on myself to get it, very glad I did. Also I was saying it's a shame the Lugia I got in my weekly box wasn't shiny, and my chum offered me her one for my birthday at the end of the month! I'm fond of Lugia, he's much-maligned but he was was the first high IV legendary I got, and he helped me in MANY Machamp raids when I began soloing tier three raids. His dependable bulk means I'll still fire him in last place to this day, for after Gengar, Alakazam and Espeon have done the damage.

Good luck to everyone raiding Kyogre this week; still my favourite shiny of all.

king_tubby

Need to fight someone for the quest. Great League.

Isn't there anyone? Anyone out there who can face me?

EDIT: done, thanks.

king_tubby

Love the new appraisal system after the latest update! Also love being able to search by IVs.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: king_tubby on July 17, 2019, 03:49:33 PM
Love the new appraisal system after the latest update! Also love being able to search by IVs.

+1, just massive QOL upgrades. just when Poke Genie had become unusable too.

Dog Botherer

new appraisal system has massively reduced the wasted time for me. really just completely solved my biggest annoyance with the game. in about half an hour, i managed to go through my entire collection and ditched at least 75 slots worth of waste that had slipped through the cracks over the past 6 months. i had been mentally planning said project for a few weeks and had expected to spend upwards of 3 hours on it. absolute gamechanger.

king_tubby

Dog Botherer

them rocket cunts are tough as fuck. wasn't expecting that, got fucking owned first time out, won by a single hit second time round. got a crap golbat for my troubles, that's nice i suppose.

king_tubby

I haven't had much time to play vs Team Rocket but I have enjoyed the invasion. Haven't got anything decent yet, but I like that your 'mons get battered in the fights unlike in PvP where I think it's a bit poor they remain at full health.

Hopefully I'll get out for a bit during Community Day as I really want a decent Gardervoir.

Barry Admin

New appraisal is brilliant, especially that you can keep it onscreen and swipe left and right through your pokeys. Huge time saver, much needed.

Done a few Rocket stops, good craic, lovely to see some PVE content being added, they've done a good job with PVE in the Harry Potter game. I'm smashing them all so far though, unless there's more challenging ones to be found? I see you get a hint about the typing required, but I just use my maxed out Shadow Ball Mewtwo and two maxed out Kyogres and wreck everything with sheer DPS. I love that they've added a Purifier badge, which is a definite nod to Ingress.

Shiny Rayquaza in raids today for the next month, my friends are all going mental. They were up late, and then met up for "breakfast club" at 6 this morning, and are still driving around in two cars smashing raids now. I still need good Rays myself as I missed his recent return, and only really started raiding during his first ever appearance. He's still the king of DPS, I believe, and yeah, basically just raid the absolute shit out of him while he's here. Keep loads for trades too.

I bought one of the ultra boxes before they change tonight, 14 passes now, we're all expecting that to drop to 10 with the new box tonight. If they follow last summers model, they'll gouge us, and 14 passes isn't a bad offer.

king_tubby

I was in the pub last night with a mate who'd gone to Dortmund for the event. Which means I now have a Carnivine to drop in gyms.

Barry Admin

I was offered one but it was for a legacy mushroom tits, which I only have one of, didn't realise they were such a good grass attacker.

Got into town on my own for a bit yesterday and okayed ingress and PoGo, didn't move around too much, and it's quite a pain on crutches, but it's  better than not playing! Sore today though, probably overdid it. Gonna rest for Ralts day tomorrow.

Dog Botherer

is there a knack to getting Sinnoh Stones that i'm missing? Been playing the game for almost a year now and i think i've gotten 5 total. would really like a community day Gallade.

Barry Admin

Do PVP each day. Last night I did three rounds for the rewards and got a Sinoh Stone, a charged TM and another Sinoh Stone! Lovely stuff. The CD move is gash anyway tbh. Got 6 shinies, a very good Ray, still need a shiny Ray Ray. Absolutely exhausted, hard work today. Missed a hundo Ralts I couldn't make it in time and wouldn't let me friend take my phone to catch for me. Should have just let her, I guess. Great day anyway, loved it. One of the guys in our group got 22 shinies, they grind hard.

Dog Botherer

caught 4 ralts so far, 2 shinies. madness.