Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,382
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:16:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Having a phrase from a comedy stuck in your head but being unable to identify it

Started by McQ, April 02, 2017, 03:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Quote from: Imperator Helvetica on September 25, 2017, 06:55:23 PM
Someone exasperatedly asking 'Can we have one meeting where we don't end up robbing a grave?'

I suspect it might be the Simpsons, but I can't place it.

Pretty sure it's the episode where they dig up the corpse of Jebediah Springfield to find out whether he has a silver tongue. 'Lisa The Iconoclast'.

Quote from: Captain Z on September 25, 2017, 07:12:22 PM
Pretty sure it's the episode where they dig up the corpse of Jebediah Springfield to find out whether he has a silver tongue. 'Lisa The Iconoclast'.

You're quite right. Thanks. I just misremembered the wording - hence Google not helping me.

Mayor Quimby: Can't we have one meeting that doesn't end with us digging up a corpse?

non capisco

Oops! Wrong Planet

Another vague one. The cliché where someone sees or realises something suddenly, then connects it with something apparently unimportant someone has previously said, and which now takes on a new significance. At the same time we hear a replay of what was previously said reverberating in the person's mind, while looking at a close-up of their pondering face.
Anyway, the comedy version did that with one or two significant phrases, but that was followed by a whole lot of other things the person had said, but which aren't significant - ridiculous non-sequiturs.  Sounds a bit Mike Myers or the Zuckers etc but I can never put my finger on it. 

Dr Rock

I think The Simpsons and South Park have both done it more than once.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 01, 2017, 11:21:45 PM
I think The Simpsons and South Park have both done it more than once.

I guess it's more common than I thought. My example wasn't animation.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Harry Badger on September 16, 2017, 02:08:05 PM
I've got one. A character is accused of a (HAHA) rape and in his defense, he utters the line "I only put the bell-end in". Think it might have been the spacehopper guy from Monkey Dust, but not sure.

I don't recall that, but one of Ivan Dobsky's reasons for saying he done it was 'so they'd take me bellend out the chilli sauce'.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Phil_A on October 03, 2017, 11:47:05 AM
Blimey, that's a pretty common comedic device. Nothing else to narrow it down?

Father Ted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBrKxF3bnUY

The Simpsons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIf2NyzKoHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgqtBm_oUpc

Airplane!
https://youtu.be/8-v2BHNBVCs?t=688

None of the above, but thanks anyway. Thought it might have been the Airplane one when I saw the link, but it isn't. All I can remember is it's not animation, and the string of remembered phrases got increasingly ridiculous and irrelevant. (I was recently reminded of it when the device was used, straight, in Don't Knock Twice.)

jobotic

Anyway  - "I'm gay, isn't that hilarious?"

I think it's from a parody of Are You Being Served?

Shooting Stars?

jobotic

hard rocx and mettals

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 14, 2017, 10:17:17 PM
Not quite sure where I got this from (possibly CaB itself, but maybe a sitcom or stand up) but every time I'm watching something and see an actor I haven't seen in ages I end up going "Oh, xxxxxx is still alive" in a semi-surprised manner. It just happened now with Logan when I saw that Eriq La Salle is in it, for instance. So does anyone know where that might have originated from?

could it be this, from the Gay Musical ep of IT Crowd?

https://youtu.be/Wjnp_Yed-q4?t=4m

amnesiac

Comedy sketch show, something way obscure that I have never been able to find again.

Set in an operating theater  in the future (everything is really bright) - the patient is dying and we hear the heart monitor thing going beep beep beep beep then it stops then it gets faster and faster then launches into the arpeggiated synth of You Got The Love. Then I think the patient gets up and they both dance and the credits roll.

Would be amazed if anyone else saw it tbh. It was very BBC 3.

JesusAndYourBush

I have a couple of phrases that are stuck in my head even though I didn't see the show - because people at school would imitate phrases from comedy shows they'd seen on tv.  To help with the dating, these would be circa 1983/84/85.

One was the phrase "Pork scratchings... doggy itchings... chicken bits", said with a small pause between each phrase to build up the tension, the voice getting weirder with each phrase.

In another, a black guy (on TV in the mid 80s it's likely to be Lenny Henry, right?) calls out the word "Seat!" and a chair slides across the floor and he sits in it.  Then he says "I want a maaaaars baaaaarrrr.  I've got diabeeeeteeeees",  perhaps said with a cod-West Indian accent.  One guy at school would repeat this all the fucking time.

New Jack

Quote from: amnesiac on August 02, 2018, 03:27:36 PM
Comedy sketch show, something way obscure that I have never been able to find again.

Set in an operating theater  in the future (everything is really bright) - the patient is dying and we hear the heart monitor thing going beep beep beep beep then it stops then it gets faster and faster then launches into the arpeggiated synth of You Got The Love. Then I think the patient gets up and they both dance and the credits roll.

Would be amazed if anyone else saw it tbh. It was very BBC 3.

I believe that's when Bob Mortimer is reported to have worn a heart monitor upon his triumphant return to the stage following his triple heart bypass.

Clownbaby

I had one of these for ages, it was a sitcom scene where someone accidentally came across as mentally disabled. It was the Seinfeld episode The Jimmy, where Kramer gets a swollen lip. It had been bugging me for about 5 years, I mist have seen the clip on something else cause I've only just recently given Seinfeld a go. I was watching the episode and got the most aggressive feeling of deja vu and then I FOUND IT. I FOUND THE SCENE!

Also, I have Rich Fulcher's voice saying

"and that was ________, with a wonderful song... about eggs."

I don't know where I got that from. Might have even made it up myself. Might not even be Rich Fulcher.

NurseNugent

Anyone able to identify the below snippet of dialogue I've had stuck in my head for ages. I've a feeling it's some awful ITV sitcom but don't know which.

Character  A (Bohemian type young woman): I got laid in a church once

Character B  (snooty,  old before her time type) : You're not religious then

Character  A : Oh it was with a vicar.

McQ

For years I've been saying, "Praise be," as a response when something positive happens, and I always thought I was quoting from Rebecca Front in The Day Today, but then when I tried to explain this to someone today, I realised I couldn't remember the sketch, and I had no luck finding it on Google. So now I'm doubting if I'm remembering the origin correctly. I'm sure it's The Day Today or Brass Eye or Alan Partridge or something along those lines. Can anyone remember where it's from? Please!

St_Eddie

Quote from: McQ on December 22, 2018, 01:41:25 PM
For years I've been saying, "Praise be," as a response when something positive happens, and I always thought I was quoting from Rebecca Front in The Day Today, but then when I tried to explain this to someone today, I realised I couldn't remember the sketch, and I had no luck finding it on Google. So now I'm doubting if I'm remembering the origin correctly. I'm sure it's The Day Today or Brass Eye or Alan Partridge or something along those lines. Can anyone remember where it's from? Please!

In Ideal, the religious builders/plumbers (and in turn, Moz; trying to convince them that he's religious) say that phrase anytime something positive happens.

thraxx

Quote from: McQ on December 22, 2018, 01:41:25 PM

Are you getting comeday and the evangelist church mixed up?

magval

It is Rebecca Front, but as Thora Hird in Lionel Nimrod episode Good Vs Evil.

Edit: Here's a link - http://www.fistoffun.net/downloads/nimrod01/lionel_nimrod_01-04_good_and_evilBBC7-www.fistoffun.net.mp3

First appears at about 5.30 and repeated throughout.

I absolutely love that episode, and the phrase "Evil Ian Beale's Evil Ian Beale Base"

McQ

typeforty

I have one, and I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure it's even a comedy thing, but statistically there's a good chance, so... I'm trying to find out who used to sign off (I *think* on some form of internet content) with "And that is all... For now." The emphasis would be on the 'For', for some reason. I'm pretty sure it's an American voice. Help?