Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lyrics that mention the band's album or other song titles

Started by Captain Z, April 03, 2017, 01:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

I am aware that these threads are becoming more convoluted, although I had this in mind for a while after listening to the Chemical Brothers 'Galvanize', which contains variations of the lyric "the time has come to Push The Button", which was the title of the album that followed this first single. Either they named the album from this lyric, or, as I prefer to think, used this as a way of promoting the album title in the lead single.

And although it doesn't quite fit the thread title, when Jam and Spoon were asked to remix Age Of Love in the early 90s they used the opportunity to promote their own forthcoming single 'Stella' by naming their remix (Jam and Spoon's 'Watch Out For Stella' Remix). The irony being that their remix actually went on to become far more popular.

Ignatius_S

So, guessing where a lyric was used as a song and album title, it doesn't count?

Anyway:

Patti Smith – Horses (Land)
Bauhaus – The Sky's Gone Out (Exquisite Corpse)
PiL – That What is Not (Acid Drops)

Is that what you meant? Or I have completely got the wrong end of the (rhythm) stick?

Slightly different, but Bauhaus' first live album had a bit at the end to make it sound like a bootlegging has been caught recording the gig and being told to: 'Press the Eject and Give Me the Tape', which was the album's title.

wosl

Quote from: Captain Z on April 03, 2017, 01:18:30 PMI am aware that these threads are becoming more convoluted

And potentially repetitive; for example, one that's already been listed in another of these similarly themed threads - Trans-Europe Express.  Mentions the album title several times.  Also mentions Düsseldorf (first track on La Düsseldorf's debut album), Vienna (Ultravox) and Station To Station (Bowie album/track), as well as other acts: Bowie and Iggy.

purlieu

John Congleton's lyrics for The Paper Chase were always fascinating, as none of the songs featured their own titles, but titles of other songs from the album would feature here and there, and the album title would always appear several times throughout the album.

David Tibet reuses imagery throughout the entire Current 93 catalogue, meaning there are countless song titles and album titles that reappear years later.

An artist taking the album title from a lyric, rather than a song title, has become quite a common thing these days hasn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if less than a third of my collection is named this way.

Belle & Sebastian's Tigermilk starts with 'The State I Am In', named after a book one of the characters in it writes. The same book is then referenced in the album's closer 'Mary Jo'. Always thought that was nice.

On a bit of a tangent, but frankly I don't think this deserves a thread of its own: Like You Do... The Best of the Lightning Seeds is named after the song 'Like You Do' which doesn't appear on it. See also Led Zep's 'Houses of the Holy' appearing on Physical Graffiti[nb]Technically it was a HotH outtake, but I still found this intriguing and inspiring as a kid. I've done it with my own work a couple of times.[/nb]

mrpupkin

Hang Wire by the Pixies goes "Every morning of every day I'll bossanova with you" (from Bossanova album)

Smells Like Teen Spirit goes "Oh well whatever nevermind"

Erm some others probably

Black_Bart

Moriah by Masters of Reality mentions the album it's from.

Maurice Yeatman

A couple of album titles from Van Morrison:
Common One - part of a line from the track Summertime in England;
Poetic Champions Compose - part of a line from the track Queen of the Slipstream.