Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:42:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It Was 50 Years Ago Today

Started by SteveDave, April 04, 2017, 11:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Quote from: SteveDave on May 04, 2017, 11:48:08 AM
You can now hear (in places) the out-takes and new stereo remixes of the first two songs off of SPLHCB.

My highlights- an previously unheard (by me) whoop (by Paul) after the first horn instrumental on the title song and With A Little Help From My Friends sounding like a different song without the singing. That piano is Brian Wilson-esque/ish.

SO great, that 'With A Little...' run-through. I couldn't believe it. You find yourself humming the bassline...

My only worry is that they've released two of the best outtakes already, and there won't be much left to look forward to. But I doubt they'd do that.

SteveDave

I think there'll be something else nice in there but I doubt I'll be forking out £100+ for it.

It was curious hearing George sticking his oar in at the end of the title song as he said he sat most of Sgt Pepper out. Maybe he was more involved than he let on.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

http://www.nme.com/news/music/beatles-confirm-new-mix-release-legendary-album-2073497

Sweet the White Album's next up! Long list of what could be included in the box set (assuming it's getting the same treatment) and you can't please everyone but I can't wait!

daf

That's what it sounded like in the Radcliffe interview, but he's tweeted -

QuoteJust to confirm..I said the White Album is the next Beatles album. I promise that I'm not working on it. Enjoy Sgt Pepper first! X
https://twitter.com/mashupmartin/status/865115257647370240

Which means he's DEFINITELY working on it, but shouldn't have said anything about it - so move along please, nothing to see here.

SteveDave

He's going to do what his father never could and make it a single LP, cutting out all the chaff AKA most of side 2 and 4.

daf

The White album in stereo is fine really - what needs remixing is Help (again!) - actually, I'd like a new MONO mix of that as well - as side one is a right old muddy cowpat!

Custard

Quote from: SteveDave on May 18, 2017, 02:30:01 PM
He's going to do what his father never could and make it a single LP, cutting out all the chaff AKA most of side 2 and 4.

Well I love the chaff, but have you ever tried whittling it down to a single album? It's not as easy as you'd imagine, as it feels criminal lopping things off

This is what I eventually went with, on't itunes, and I'm still not happy, or pleased with my actions:

SteveDave

Back In the USSR
Dear Prudence
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Martha My Dear
I Will

Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Long Long Long
Revolution 1 & 9 (like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnHw-LgVeCY)
Goodnight

14 songs. Cheating with Revolution.

Glebe

I have to say I've always found 'Goodnight' a pretty boring listen.

non capisco

Stop leaving off 'Rocky Racoon' and 'Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey', you barmpots!

DrGreggles

Howj Begg

Ob la di, rocky racoon, honey pie, piggies, dont pass me by, bunglaow bill all go. The rest stay.

SteveDave

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da should be the new national anthem.

DrGreggles

I think the Queen should listen to it and conclude "I'm taking his fucking knighthood back!"

Black_Bart

QuoteOb-La-Di, Ob-La-Da should be the new national anthem

We used to sing this (with edited lyrics) in school assembly.

What about Savoy Truffle? A song about the munchies.

DrGreggles

OK, I've had a go at making The White Album a single album.
A bit of moving around with the track order led me to:

Back In The USSR
Dear Prudence
Martha My Dear
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
Blackbird

Birthday
Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Why Don't We Do It In The Road
Revolution 1
Helter Skelter
Goodnight

the science eel

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 19, 2017, 10:24:26 AM
OK, I've had a go at making The White Album a single album.
A bit of moving around with the track order led me to:

Back In The USSR
Dear Prudence
Martha My Dear
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
I'm So Tired
Blackbird

Birthday
Sexy Sadie
Why Don't We Do It In The Road
Revolution 1
Helter Skelter
Goodnight

No Glass Onion?

Back In The USSR
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Martha My Dear
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Blackbird
-
Sexy Sadie
Cry Baby Cry
Long Long Long
Revolution #9
Julia

That's about 45 minutes

SteveDave

You people don't like joy that's your problem.

daf

Remix and take 1 of Lucy now on Spotify -

BOFF! BOFF! BOFF! . . .

SteveDave

Quote from: daf on May 19, 2017, 02:10:26 PM
Remix and take 1 of Lucy now on Spotify -

BOFF! BOFF! BOFF! . . .

Paul ballses up the last chorus.

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on May 18, 2017, 11:57:03 PM
Stop leaving off 'Rocky Racoon' and 'Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey', you barmpots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpjTGOzk4uM

Custard

Quote from: non capisco on May 18, 2017, 11:57:03 PM

Racoon is alright, but when it comes to cutting that record down to 40 minutes or so, that'd deffo have to go I think

Agreed with you on Monkey though, so have re-jigged mine. Also removed Goodnight and moved Julia to the end, as whoever suggested that (EDIT - the science eel) is a genius. Would be a perfick ending

the science eel

Christ, 'I Will' - that one makes me want to hunt McCartney down and kick the bastard hard in the nuts.

I've never been able to understand why sappy, bloodless pap like that gets routinely praised, and yet everyone's out to kick him for 'Pipes of Peace' and 'Ebony and Ivory'. It's the same kind of shite, to me.

The same thing happens with Stevie Wonder. Nobody's got a good word for 'I Just Called...', yet the much-praised Talking Book and Innervisions are full of similarly-soppy crap!

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: SteveDave on May 18, 2017, 02:30:01 PM

Haha! Side 2 has always been my favourite (Side 4 is my least, though not because of Revolution 9), so that would bugger the single album option. I'll never understand the debate, because for me the sprawling nature is it's strength, not it's weakness. It would make a pretty underwhelming single LP without all the meanderings. There's not a single track I'd drop.

biggytitbo

Stop removing any songs off the White Album dickheads.

Custard

You wait til we get started on Sandinista!

DrGreggles

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 04, 2017, 11:49:31 AM
It was 30 years ago today that the Sgt Pepper documentary 'It was 20 years ago today' was on the telly.  In a couple of months!

I remember that, the South Bank Show one, yes?  It were fab, and was a proper watercooler moment the next day.  When our (generally lovely anyway) boss called us in for our weekly meeting, he even joked that he was inviting us to "a happening in my office".

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: the science eel on May 20, 2017, 01:54:34 PM
Christ, 'I Will' - that one makes me want to hunt McCartney down and kick the bastard hard in the nuts.

The same thing happens with Stevie Wonder. Nobody's got a good word for 'I Just Called...', yet the much-praised Talking Book and Innervisions are full of similarly-soppy crap!

"I Will" I will allow to live mostly for inspiring this (if only there were a version on YT that weren't hideously out of sync): https://youtu.be/8gsH0gnOZfE

As to your second point, bah, fuggoff, you.  There may be "sap" on those two Stevie albums, but it's superlative sap.  It's the eighties production/instrumentation that makes "I Just Called..." so unpalatable, anyway. And most of the lyrics, I suppose.  But 70s Stevie would likely have alchemized the tune into something marvelous, I would think.

But I like your White Album condensation most of all, so there's that.

the science eel

Thanks.

I do agree that it's best listened to as it is, tho'. And all the way through.

You ever do sync-listens here? There's one I'd suggest.