Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:46:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It Was 50 Years Ago Today

Started by SteveDave, April 04, 2017, 11:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

So, has anyone else heard this yet? (I know SteveDave has.) The new stereo mix is frustrating; certain bits do sound clearer - the drums, and, weirdly, the audience noises on both versions of 'Pepper' - but sometimes the mix just sounds weirdly muddy and loses what I liked about it before. I realise that this is partly because the standard stereo mix is what I've been used to for well over 30 years now, but I don't hear enough in the new version to make me switch to it as the one I'd listen to regularly.

Oddly enough, the new stereo mixes for 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'Penny Lane' do work - though I couldn't think of a single thing you could do to 'Strawberry Fields' to ruin it (first one to mention Candy Flip, etc) - and I love the 'Strawberry Fields' outtakes. I could listen to a whole album of its evolution from the more simple first take to the full-on psychedelic trip it became. The 'Penny Lane' instrumental sounds pleasingly disconcerting without the vocals to make sense of it.

I haven't listened to all of the outtakes yet - or the mono versions - but there is some interesting stuff here. Just a shame they've whacked a pricetag on it that will put most people off buying it.

Head Gardener

the science eel

The outtakes are great, but you've got to be a Beatles nut to appreciate them. Dunno if that's such an obvious point. I mean, they're not especially groovy in themselves, but there's fucking serious thrills to be had listening to studio chat, bits of Mellotron, orchestras pumping away, the things you've had in your dreams for years.

SteveDave

Save £££££ by just turning the bass up on your hi-fi system and voila! The new stereo remix of Sgt Pepper.

DrGreggles

Quote from: the science eel on May 28, 2017, 05:11:55 PM
The outtakes are great, but you've got to be a Beatles nut to appreciate them.

That instrumental of Within You Without You is brilliant.

Weren't all these outtakes released on the Anthology CD's?

daf

Also on Anthology 2 / Not on Anthology 2

Disc 2  –
1. Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 1) (including backing vocals that were mixed out of the Anthology version)
2. Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 4)
3. Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 7) (in Stereo - mono on Anthology)
4. Strawberry Fields Forever (Take 26)
5. Strawberry Fields Forever (2015 stereo mix)
6. When I'm Sixty-Four (Take 2)
7. Penny Lane (Take 6: instrumental)
8. Penny Lane (vocal overdubs and speech)
9. Penny Lane (2017 stereo mix) (Anthology has a remix highlighting some elements unused in the final mix)
10. A Day In The Life (Take 1)  (Anthology = composite of takes 1, 2 & 6)
11. A Day In The Life (Take 2) (Anthology = composite of takes 1, 2 & 6)
12. A Day In The Life (orchestra overdub)
13. A Day In The Life (hummed last chord: Takes 8, 9, 10 and 11)
14. A Day In The Life (The Last Chord)
15. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Take 1: instrumental)
16. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Take 9 and speech)
17. Good Morning Good Morning (Take 1: instrumental, breakdown)
18. Good Morning Good Morning (Take 8)

Disc 3  –
1. Fixing A Hole (Take 1)
2. Fixing A Hole (speech and Take 3)
3. Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite! (speech from before Take 1; Take 4; speech at end)  (Anthology has a composite of takes 1 & 2)
4. Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite! (Take 7)
5. Lovely Rita (speech and Take 9)
6. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (Take 1, speech at end)
7. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (speech, false start, Take 5) (Anthology = composite of takes 6, 7 & 8)
8. Getting Better (Take 1: instrumental; speech at end)
9. Getting Better (Take 12)
10. Within You Without You (Take 1: Indian instruments only)  (Anthology = instrumental remix of final master)
11. Within You Without You (George coaching the musicians)
12. She's Leaving Home (Take 1: instrumental)
13. She's Leaving Home (Take 6: instrumental)
14. With A Little Help From My Friends (Take 1: false start; Take 2: instrumental)
15. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (speech, Take 8) (Anthology = take 5 & in mono)

Disc 4  –
1-13. Original Mono mix of the album
14. Strawberry Fields Forever (original mono mix)
15. Penny Lane (original mono mix)
16. A Day In The Life (unreleased first mono mix)
17. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (unreleased mono mix: No. 11)
18. She's Leaving Home (unreleased first mono mix)
19. Penny Lane (Capitol Records US promo single: mono mix)

Replies From View

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 20, 2017, 12:00:37 PM
Racoon is alright, but when it comes to cutting that record down to 40 minutes or so, that'd deffo have to go I think

Agreed with you on Monkey though, so have re-jigged mine. Also removed Goodnight and moved Julia to the end, as whoever suggested that (EDIT - the science eel) is a genius. Would be a perfick ending

Also if you remove 'Birthday' and 'Helter Skelter' you will clear room for a couple of good songs.

the science eel

Oooh, yeah, get rid of 'Helter Skelter' by all means.

Do people still say it invented heavy metal? Ho ho ho and ho

Replies From View

Quote from: the science eel on May 30, 2017, 01:49:40 PM
Oooh, yeah, get rid of 'Helter Skelter' by all means.

And 'Birthday' please.

I think 'Long, Long, Long' should be included.  Also why are 'I Will' and 'Julia' separated?  End the album with them back to back.

Replies From View

Is the DVD 'making of' the aforementioned South Bank special?  Or something else?

the science eel

Quote from: Replies From View on May 30, 2017, 02:41:18 PM
Is the DVD 'making of' the aforementioned South Bank special?  Or something else?

Yes, I think so. From 1992.

The new DVD that's available separately contains no Beatles music at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrtYhlUey1w&t=6s

Custard

LEAVE HELTER SKELTER ALONE

Nice to hear some more bits from the Pepper sessions, but it's not really essential stuff. It's really for the obsessives, as others have mentioned.

Did enjoy Paul's vocals on the Fixing A Hole bits, mind. He had a cracking voice

daf

Apparently you can access the hidden track of Carnival of Light if you put CD 4 in the tray upside down and play it backwards!

(sounds mostly like some metallic grinding, followed by fizzing sparks and ending with a massive BANG)

Replies From View

Hopefully there will be a way of getting this at some point without paying over £100.  I've bought all the Beatles albums multiple times over the years.

daf

£99.99 from The Base
https://www.base.com/buy/product/beatles-the-sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-box-set/dgc-5745532.htm?gclid=COP40d__l9QCFY9uGwodEu8IOg

One golden p saved!

Also plenty of sellers on Amazon have it for under £100 and Amazon's knocked a fiver off since I pre-ordered it too - down to £104.83 (I knew I should have waited!)

Replies From View

It's a bit deceptive to think of it as a 6-disc set, as well.  If you don't have a blu-ray player, it's a 4-CD set with a fifth DVD disc.  If you have a blu-ray player, you have a superfluous DVD.  So it's five useful discs however you spin it.

SteveDave

Quote from: Replies From View on May 30, 2017, 04:55:03 PM
Hopefully there will be a way of getting this at some point without paying over £100.  I've bought all the Beatles albums multiple times over the years.

Me too (bought the LPs over and over...I currently have 6 different versions of Revolver including Yesterday And Today)

I've downloaded, illegally, all the musical content and my back is sore from all the slapping I've given myself on saving all that money for something I would've listened to once.

I've already deleted it from my iTunes as if it never existed.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Keep an eye on superdeluxeedition.com!

They just gave a heads up the other day about it being £70 somewhere for one day only. Worth keeping a look out for offers like that in future.

Edit: best price on there is currently £87 , not sure what the postage is though http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-beatles-sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-super-deluxe-edition/

Head Gardener

tarting my lovely original mono/stereo Pepper's in the back garden

the science eel

So can we finally get back to the pre-punk, common-sense notion that Pepper is a far superior album to Revolver?

Replies From View

Updates:  Sgt. Pepper is way more McCartney-heavy than I remembered.  Maybe it's the way it's sequenced, but the sense I have now is that it's a Paul album with John scattered a bit throughout, one token George song and Ringo sings one of Paul's songs.  Perhaps if I sat down and did a list I'd find the John to Paul ratio was equal, I dunno.

I keep returning to Paul's songs on Sgt. Pepper more than I do John's songs.  Paul's insert in 'A Day in the Life' isn't very good, though.  Compared to the texture added by John's wistful additions to Paul's 'She's Leaving Home', for example.

Quote from: the science eel on May 31, 2017, 06:45:35 PM
So can we finally get back to the pre-punk, common-sense notion that Pepper is a far superior album to Revolver?

I don't know which side of the argument you're on, but Revolver remains the better album.  Revolver has better songs, but Sgt. Pepper has better production (of course - they spent half a year on it).  Some of the songs on Pepper would be generally received as filler without the effort that's been put into the production.

Replies From View

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 31, 2017, 05:50:37 PM
tarting my lovely original mono/stereo Pepper's in the back garden

YOU ARE CAUSING THEM TO BECOME FADED BY SUNLIGHT YOU FULE.

the science eel

Quote from: Replies From View on June 01, 2017, 12:24:36 AM
Revolver remains the better album.  Revolver has better songs, but Sgt. Pepper has better production (of course - they spent half a year on it).  Some of the songs on Pepper would be generally received as filler without the effort that's been put into the production.

Oh dear. Another one.

Ho hum.

Replies From View

Quote from: the science eel on June 01, 2017, 12:39:34 AM
Oh dear. Another one.

Ho hum.

It's correct though, no?

I can see why somebody would be attracted to the production of Pepper (I love it too), but on the level of which songs are better, Revolver's tracks are stronger.

On balance, I regard Revolver the better album.  The fact that loads of love is lavished on a 6-disc set for Pepper means you can't pretend you're out on a limb and feel sorry for yourself.

Pepper has the advantage of them breaking out of the 'every song has to be under 3 mins' mentality, the discarding of which allows the more eccentric musical ideas room to really flourish. Revolver is absolutely cracking, but it feels slightly restrained in comparison to Pepper.

Replies From View

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 01, 2017, 12:54:45 AM
Pepper has the advantage of them breaking out of the 'every song has to be under 3 mins' mentality, the discarding of which allows the more eccentric musical ideas room to really flourish. Revolver is absolutely cracking, but it feels slightly restrained in comparison to Pepper.

I think Revolver counteracts this by feeling more raw.  At times Pepper is too polished.

And most of the tracks on Pepper are around 3 minutes aren't they?  Either a bit above or a bit below.  'Within You Without You' and 'A Day in the Life' come in above 5 minutes but that's it.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on June 01, 2017, 12:24:36 AM
Updates:  Sgt. Pepper is way more McCartney-heavy than I remembered.  Maybe it's the way it's sequenced, but the sense I have now is that it's a Paul album with John scattered a bit throughout, one token George song and Ringo sings one of Paul's songs.  Perhaps if I sat down and did a list I'd find the John to Paul ratio was equal, I dunno.

I always thought that was a Lennon song. Some of the turns of phrase in it come across as more John than Paul to me anyway.

SteveDave

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 01, 2017, 08:48:13 AM
I always thought that was a Lennon song. Some of the turns of phrase in it come across as more John than Paul to me anyway.

There's a chapter in "The Beatles" by Hunter Davies where they write it together in Paul's loft studio. Partway through Paul plays "Fool On The Hill" to John for the first time and (from memory) he is unmoved.