Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:49:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who singer slags off Quadrophenia Sequal

Started by armful, April 05, 2017, 03:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armful

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/the-who-singer-roger-daltrey-slams-quadrophenia-sequel/

The makers of this film claim it's not a direct Sequal , Phil Daniels has agreed to take part In it. Who singer thinks it's a rubbish idea, he could be right. I  will watch this though as I quite like Daniels as an actor.

Has anybody read the Book (To Be Someone) this film is based on? . On the streghth of the book would this film be good or bad .

Ignatius_S

Is it actually being made? There was a lot of news reporting about it but nothing seemed to be confirmed but that was quite a while ago - and that story was last year.

Sequel? It's 2017. The public only eat reboots.

wosl

If Who singer and Who guitarist had issued a joint condemnation it might carry some heft, but as it's just Who singer, this will probably bounce off harmlessly into the atmosphere.  And before Who drummer current gets any ideas about kicking up a stink, let's just remind him that he's not even Who drummer replacement #1, let alone Who drummer original issue.

Howj Begg

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Bronzy on April 05, 2017, 05:45:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DauZi0rmf4c

Christ that's one of the worst and most annoying gags I've ever seen. And it doesn't work in the slightest because it's "The Who", not just "Who", the writers should be fucking shot. And that fucking brown squirrel. The grey one can live though as I quite fancy her.

Bronzy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 05, 2017, 06:14:44 PM
Christ that's one of the worst and most annoying gags I've ever seen. And it doesn't work in the slightest because it's "The Who", not just "Who", the writers should be fucking shot. And that fucking brown squirrel. The grey one can live though as I quite fancy her.

I recall really liking it when I was a wee lad, but then again I liked Space Jam at the same age so my opinion doesn't really count for much.

Jake Thingray

Funnily enough, last night I was lazily rewatching Gavin and Stacey, quite by chance one ep included Nessa's claiming to have asked Pete Townshend "where's the book?"

armful

Quote from: Jake Thingray on April 05, 2017, 06:54:15 PM
Funnily enough, last night I was lazily rewatching Gavin and Stacey, quite by chance one ep included Nessa's claiming to have asked Pete Townshend "where's the book?"

You still hear that joke from time to time at comedy nights. I've had his book for a while it was ok

Ignatius_S

Quote from: wosl on April 05, 2017, 05:28:26 PM
If Who singer and Who guitarist had issued a joint condemnation it might carry some heft...

Erm, they did.

wosl

Ah.  Ray Burdis' indication that Townshend had given the film his blessing misled me; apparently he's only expressed approval for the book that it'll be based on.  That would be it.[nb]Or if you prefer, I didn't bother to investigate any further than the thread title/OP[/nb] 

armful

Was debating buying the book this film is based on, but reviews are hit and miss and it'd 30 quid on amazon. I'll probably just wait for the film

Sydward Lartle

I like the Who just fine, but the Quadrophenia film gets so many things wrong it just annoys me beyond endurance. I think the bleak, grimy, grainy, overcast look of the film as a whole (which is even intact on the BluRay release) is as much to blame as anything - part of the Mod ethos was the snappy clothes and the flashy scooters, but instead of making these things seem glamorous and exciting, in the film they look absolutely drab and ordinary - even Sting's scooter gleaming in the Brighton sunshine fails to stir much excitement. It doesn't help that the behaviour of the central protagonist and his mates now looks so much like a forerunner of the "Being a cunt's great innit lads! Wahaaay, banter! FACK ORF" school of film-making favoured by the pre-soap star reinvention Danny Dyer and Nick Love, among others. I know it was a low-budget film and everything, but there are just far too many anachronisms for its own good - most notably, a blue and yellow British Rail train (didn't exist in the mid-sixties), a pelican crossing (ditto), a bin with a Keep Britain Tidy logo on it (ditto) and... well, you get the point, I'm sure. The biggest clanger is the sighting at the party of a young Ben Elton the Track Records double re-issue of A Quick One and the Who Sell Out, which were recorded in 1966 and 1967 respectively, and this 'twofer' set was released in 1973.

Fine, I'll take my anorak off now.

I think a better direction for Quadrophenia would have been as a stylised treatment, all heightened reality with everything ramped up to some ludicrous umpteenth degree, like Ken Russell's version of Tommy - but would dear old Ken have been able to repeat the trick? He tried it once, with Lisztomania, but without Pete Townshend's moderating influence it fell head-first into lurid self-indulgence within the opening moments and never really recovered.

armful

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 05, 2017, 09:05:17 PM
I like the Who just fine, but the Quadrophenia film gets so many things wrong it just annoys me beyond endurance. I think the bleak, grimy, grainy, overcast look of the film as a whole (which is even intact on the BluRay release) is as much to blame as anything - part of the Mod ethos was the snappy clothes and the flashy scooters, but instead of making these things seem glamorous and exciting, in the film they look absolutely drab and ordinary - even Sting's scooter gleaming in the Brighton sunshine fails to stir much excitement. It doesn't help that the behaviour of the central protagonist and his mates now looks so much like a forerunner of the "Being a cunt's great innit lads! Wahaaay, banter! FACK ORF" school of film-making favoured by the pre-soap star reinvention Danny Dyer and Nick Love, among others. I know it was a low-budget film and everything, but there are just far too many anachronisms for its own good - most notably, a blue and yellow British Rail train (didn't exist in the mid-sixties), a pelican crossing (ditto), a bin with a Keep Britain Tidy logo on it (ditto) and... well, you get the point, I'm sure. The biggest clanger is the sighting at the party of a young Ben Elton the Track Records double re-issue of A Quick One and the Who Sell Out, which were recorded in 1966 and 1967 respectively, and this 'twofer' set was released in 1973.

I think a better direction for Quadrophenia would have been as a stylised treatment, all heightened reality with everything ramped up to some ludicrous umpteenth degree, like Ken Russell's version of Tommy - but would dear old Ken have been able to repeat the trick? He tried it once, with Lisztomania, but without Pete Townshend's moderating influence it fell head-first into lurid self-indulgence within the opening moments and never really recovered.

I quite liked how Grim it looked. I will keep an eye out for those bloopers if I watch it again

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 05, 2017, 09:05:17 PM

I still have great affection for the film, warts and all. You forgot the biggest clanger.  Warren Beatty's Heaven Can Wait is advertised as showing at the cinema sixteen years before for the film's actual release. And the Mods wearing football scarves, according to a dyed in the wool old mod friend, they never did. 

Also look out for Jimmy's extra scooter track marks on the closing aerial shot at Beachyhead. They were from the camera rehearsal filmed earlier.

DrGreggles

They should make a third one as well.
Just so they can annoy people by calling it 'QuadroTHREEnia'.

machotrouts

They should make a fourth one as well, and call it 'QUADrophenia'.

Sydward Lartle

The gag being, of course, Quadrophenia isn't even a real word. Townshend thought 'quadrophenia' was 'double schizophrenia', whilst the correct term is multiple personality disorder. Quadrophonic sound - four speakers as opposed to the requisite two - was written off as the music industry's equivalent of the Ford Edsel for years, until the room-filling majesty of the 5:1 surround mix came along.

Gulftastic

I like spotting the extras playing Mods who have worn their own late-70's Mod revival clothing. Some of them are wearing flares, FFS. In the sixties!

And I think that everyone in the film forgot how to act as they got older.

armful

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 06, 2017, 10:24:20 PM
I like spotting the extras playing Mods who have worn their own late-70's Mod revival clothing. Some of them are wearing flares, FFS. In the sixties!

And I think that everyone in the film forgot how to act as they got older.

I took my son to see John Altman ( aka Nick  Cotton )Play hook in Panto just last Christmas his performance was amazing I swear :-)