Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:57:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I can't even drive

Started by Barry Admin, April 05, 2017, 04:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Quote from: asids on April 05, 2017, 10:12:20 PM
Strategy games are my bane. I actually quite like some of them and would want to get into them but I'm just too shit at them to do so. I can't really figure out why, I guess it's because I can't really deal with the overload of potential choices when you have to do all this stuff in real-time and I just ruin everything. It's not even the thinking aspect of it really, because I am inclined toward puzzle games and I'm decent at them (until I get about halfway through, can't figure out a puzzle and them ashamedly look up the solution on a walkthrough). I guess I'm just much more comfortable with the idea of having everything necessary in front of you rather than going "Oh should I build this building or maybe build this unit wait how many should I build oh no I'm low on this resource shit I'm wasted 3 days game time".

Same, I can't do RTSs as I find them too stressful. Strategy RPGs along the lines of Fire Emblem I'm fine with, as you usually only have to worry about one character at a time, not a whole army.

I don't really do driving games either, but that's mainly down to indifference towards the genre. I don't hate driving, it's just not what interests me in gaming.

touchingcloth

What's "twitch" gaming, by the way?

Phil_A

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 06, 2017, 01:27:08 PM
What's "twitch" gaming, by the way?

Could be -

A: Streaming gameplay live on twitch.com

B: Games(usually shooters) that require very precise reflexes and an insane amount of dedication to master, e.g. Ikaruga.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Phil_A on April 06, 2017, 01:43:31 PM
B: Games(usually shooters) that require very precise reflexes and an insane amount of dedication to master, e.g. Ikaruga.

Quote from: Captain Poodle Basher on April 06, 2017, 09:57:12 AM
I just can't do "Twitch" gaming no matter what.

Same with FPS - takes me forty million years to aim the bloody gun.

I love playing Titanfall 2's Attrition Mode but I'm always left wondering how the fuck people get that good at it. I'm at quite a high level now with my weapons similarly levelled-up, but my highest score is still only 57. I'm alright at shooting Titans and minions but only good at shooting fast-moving targets like pilots when I've got the Smart Pistol which locks onto them. How do those players who seem to kill you (and presumably every other player) five times per game just with one of the bog-standard guns and end up with a score of 150 do it? Are they all on some kind of smart drug or do they just never leave the house?

Also I got that latest version of Doom for Christmas and have been playing the campaign and finding myself unable to get into it at all. I'm just rubbish at it and convinced I'm doing it all wrong somehow, despite managing fine with the Titanfall 2 and Gears of War 4 campaigns. When playing Doom I just feel helplessly overwhelmed by the huge numbers of demons- what makes it so different?

Captain Poodle Basher

Quote from: Phil_A on April 06, 2017, 01:43:31 PM
Could be -

A: Streaming gameplay live on twitch.com

B. I just can't keep up with the demands for 100% speedy reflexes. After a while my fingers and thumbs just give up. It's not middle-aged sloth either as I've always been shit at it. I usually need 2 or 3 attempts at Quick Time Events as well before I get it right.

Twed

FPS shooters are definitely my 'cannot play at all" genre. Mazes coupled with that skill for shooting people first that I've never been able to develop. It's not all FPS games, I'm not hampered by Skyrim or whatever, but FPS shooters give me no joy.

greenman

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 06, 2017, 11:18:18 AM
I think a lot of the appeal of that game is that the controls and design were superb. It always felt smooth to play even with four players on the go (though it did lag a little if hundreds of mines and grenades and rockets exploded all together), and when playing in groups it somehow never got unbalanced to the point where one player was clearly head and shoulders above the rest. When I've played PC FPS multiplayers there always seems to be a handful of dickheads who have some voodoo or something and are able to slaughter other players by the dozen.

Must admit I was one of said dickheads for a few years just after the millennium playing the Half-life Team Fortress Mod(on my amazing ISDN line), really though things seem to have shifted away from that kind of learning curve.

My only issue with replaying Goldeneye though would be the controls having gotten used to the greater fluidity of mouse/keyboard afterwards. Gameplay wise I still think its one of the best examples of a "fun" shooter where tactics like laying mines keep things relatively even without dumbing down the skill too much.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 06, 2017, 04:06:49 PM
I love playing Titanfall 2's Attrition Mode but I'm always left wondering how the fuck people get that good at it. I'm at quite a high level now with my weapons similarly levelled-up, but my highest score is still only 57. I'm alright at shooting Titans and minions but only good at shooting fast-moving targets like pilots when I've got the Smart Pistol which locks onto them. How do those players who seem to kill you (and presumably every other player) five times per game just with one of the bog-standard guns and end up with a score of 150 do it? Are they all on some kind of smart drug or do they just never leave the house?

Tites is all about getting the jump on people and don't stop moving or you're dead. I also play with the grenade launcher for one hit kills but I know Devotion is a very popular weapon. It's the one which increases rate of fire over time so you hear that cranking up and know that someone is about to slide across the doorway or into the room to tear you up. Worth a crack. As I say, though, just keep moving.

Barry Admin

I'm a big fan of Kontrol Freeks - little extenders for console thumbsticks. A tenner for a pair, and then just stick one on the right stick for aiming, and keep the other as a spare. Just gives you a bit more leverage. Probably largely psychological but the science is sound.

I was a total nightmare for obsessing over that kind of thing when I could afford to be a PC gamer, though. Would spend forever and a day obsessing over my mouse sensitivity settings in Quake. Really, one of the main things for aiming and getting better is simply consistency; finding the setting that feels right, then sticking with it. That way you build up muscle memory, and will start instinctively making shots that land.

Edit: Settings are generally set far too low, so a higher sensitivity does pay off. I also always use "bumper jumper" style control schemes, where jumping is moved away from the face buttons, and moved to the left bumper. Should always have been the orthodoxy; not having to take your thumb off the right stick (or have to play "claw style") makes a big difference, and your manoeuvrability will be much improved.