Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:45:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Actors and actresses who are just terrible in everything

Started by Phil_A, April 06, 2017, 11:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: gout_pony on August 10, 2017, 11:49:58 AM
ah good~ I thought I was alone in thinking that. I found his Hamlet shockingly bad. He was mugging all the way through it.

He was good in Takin' Over The Asylum and as Touchstone in As You Like It. Might be that he was so talented as an anarchic and sweet character actor that he got put into bigger roles where his exuberance falls flat.

Mister Six

Skipping a couple of pages to throw in the kid who plays young Octavian in HBO series Rome. Unfair, perhaps, because I don't think - rightfully - he ever actually managed to get another TV acting job ever again, so maybe "everything" isn't quite right. But my god, he's shocking.

I've had friends try to convince me that he's actually trying to play an emotionally deadened psychopath, but his is not the thousand-yard stare of a cold, emotionless killer, but the hundred-yard stare of someone flatly reading a cue card with no idea of what the words actually mean.

I can only assume he was related to, or fucking, or both (method acting!) One of the producers.

small minded cretin

Dannyhood91

colacentral

Nah, he's bang on. Dominic West is atrocious. It's not just him either; there's bad acting all over the place in The Wire

greenman

The plot in the last season was just dodgy all around really, Clarke Peters ends up more over the top as well.

Generally though I think the Wire was somewhat misrepresented as an ultra realistic drama, there was always clearly a larger than life element to it.

Attila

Quote from: Mister Six on August 29, 2017, 01:19:30 PM
Skipping a couple of pages to throw in the kid who plays young Octavian in HBO series Rome. Unfair, perhaps, because I don't think - rightfully - he ever actually managed to get another TV acting job ever again, so maybe "everything" isn't quite right. But my god, he's shocking.

I've had friends try to convince me that he's actually trying to play an emotionally deadened psychopath, but his is not the thousand-yard stare of a cold, emotionless killer, but the hundred-yard stare of someone flatly reading a cue card with no idea of what the words actually mean.

I can only assume he was related to, or fucking, or both (method acting!) One of the producers.

He also plays one of the young officers in Master and Commander.  Another problem in  Rome was he looked about 12 for the duration of playing the character.  Simply couldn't believe that he'd grow up to be Brian Blessed.

Huh -- those two were pretty much his only roles; went off to college then uni.

greenman

I don't remember him being that bad in Master & Commander although I spose it wasn't exactly a demanding role.

Jake Thingray

On present form in real life rather than acting, am tempted to add James Woods, though of course he was terrible, as was everyone else, in An American Carol.

Quote from: Jake Thingray on September 14, 2017, 03:53:10 PM
On present form in real life rather than acting, am tempted to add James Woods, though of course he was terrible, as was everyone else, in An American Carol.

Yeah, it's not been a good week for him...

Shaky

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on September 14, 2017, 04:10:23 PM
Yeah, it's not been a good week for him...

That is amazing. I'd heard about the Woods & Hammer exchange but Amber Tamblyn's reply is the icing on a suspiciously creamy cake.

The tragic thing is, of course, his fellow nutbags will say Woods was just being a bit of a lad or whatever.

Ant Farm Keyboard

She has also provided confirmation from her friend and published an open letter to Woods in Teen Vogue.

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/amber-tamblyn-open-letter-james-woods

mothman

Oh, an open letter. Er, that'll show him?

Nah, just joshing. Love the overall burn though.

George White

Quote from: greenman on September 12, 2017, 12:17:32 PM
The plot in the last season was just dodgy all around really, Clarke Peters ends up more over the top as well.

Generally though I think the Wire was somewhat misrepresented as an ultra realistic drama, there was always clearly a larger than life element to it.
Then again, Peters is naturally OTT. Began his career on the West End, playing stereotyped Americans in British films i.e. David Essex's mechanic in Silver Dream Racer and the DJ in the Music Machine.