Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:19:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Competitive Pinball

Started by chocky909, April 09, 2017, 04:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocky909

https://youtu.be/Y8c43MU7rqs

So the world's biggest pinball competition is having it's finals live on YouTube today. Check it out and become overwhelmed by how in depth modern pinball can be!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I visited Pinball Museums in Kraków and Budapest and learnt that during the 80s Williams started dominating and the scoring just went berserk. Psychologically the feeling of getting 1,414,487 even when that's shit for the table must not be as bad as getting 573 on one of those 1960s tables.

The tables themselves were way better of course because the games are longer and have a rhythm that just isn't there on the classical tables. Not only are the flippers more triggered, there is a smaller gap in the middle. Fuck knows what kids in the 1950s were getting for their quarter, not much.

These days paying a set fee up front and having a shittonne of pinball museums and arcade games to spend all afternoon on is so much better.

chocky909

Exponential scoring is silly. Jackpots became very cheap during the 90s too and many games a Double Super Jackpot can be worth very little but it gets newbies excited. This was still in the days of having tables in public. I think Attack From Mars in particular got daft with a good score being 10B+.

I think some of the old Electro Mechanical tables are actually quite deep and many of them have the ability to get extra balls very easily. The game times are generally shorter though.

Pinball shows are good although they can be very noisy so you can't hear the sounds of the machines you're playing usually.

Did you know that the only British pinball manufacturer is just about to release it's second machine. Heighway Pinball presents...

Alien Pinball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXzHe1qUq1E

It'll be showing up soon at Brewdog Shepherd's Bush alongside 3 other tables. £1 a go or 3 for £2.

chocky909

So a 13 year old has just won the World Pinball Championships.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: chocky909 on April 09, 2017, 11:45:19 PM
So a 13 year old has just won the World Pinball Championships.

The Earth orbits the Sun then