Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:34:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Finally bought a Wii U

Started by Bazooka, April 10, 2017, 12:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Someone was selling a 32 GB with Mario Kart and Mario Bros U for £90, only 4 years too late I know, but I have supported Nintendo through lots of cash on the 3DS. Picked up Xenoblade Chronicles X too for £20, Xenoblades on the Wii is one of the best games of the decade.

madhair60

Mario Maker
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros U

Absolutely fuck and all else. Fuck and all.

Bazooka

Will be picking up Pikmin 3 and the Wonderful 101 eventually. I might as well get Breath Of The Wild, realistically will be a few years before I get a Switch.

madhair60

Don't get 101, it is very fucking confusing without playing The Wonderful 1-100.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on April 10, 2017, 12:54:49 PM
Mario Maker
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros U

Absolutely fuck and all else. Fuck and all.

Nah
Splatoon is great.
Windwaker HD is a significant improvement over the, already very good, GC version.
Smash Bros. is amazing.
Pikmin 3 is very good.

Bazooka

Quote from: Kelvin on April 10, 2017, 12:59:53 PM
Nah
Splatoon is great.
Windwaker HD is a significant improvement over the, already very good, GC version.
Smash Bros. is amazing.
Pikmin 3 is very good.

Yeah I love The Windwaker, if it was going for £10 maybe, but still have the GC version and played it to death.
Smash Bro's I might pick up, played the 3DS version to death so again it would have to be going cheap before I pick it up to play on the big screen.

Yeah probably Splatoon at some point.

Shay Chaise

Bayonetta 1&2 are as good as anything I've played in the genre. The genre is perineal crash zooms. Seriously, though, both are amazing.

BotW is fantastic on Wii U, you'd be a total nob scratch not to get it.

Bazooka

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 10, 2017, 03:19:41 PM
Bayonetta 1&2 are as good as anything I've played in the genre. The genre is perineal crash zooms. Seriously, though, both are amazing.

BotW is fantastic on Wii U, you'd be a total nob scratch not to get it.

I agree. I have Bayonetta on PS3, no reason not to get 2.

The first thing I need to buy is time, time to play all these bloody games.Honestly thank fuck for way point markers in modern games.

Shay Chaise

It took me a while to get into XCX, and in fact I only got into it the week before I got the Switch, so I haven't touched it in ages but it's fantastic, great sense of awesome scale.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Bazooka on April 10, 2017, 01:03:33 PMYeah probably Splatoon at some point.

I'd prioritise this. Not just because it's possibly the best game on the system, but because Nintendo have a history of closing servers early – they killed off the monthly Splatfests months ago and Splatoon 2's still ages off, and they knocked out all the DS online games pretty early into the 3DS's life. Splatoon's single player mode is grossly underrated, but nonetheless it is primarily an online multiplayer game. Enjoy it while you can.

Shay Chaise

I wish that were the case but Splatoon 2 details are coming on Wednesday, and I fully expect a release within three months. I played the original about a month ago and managed to get on fine but I wouldn't imagine you'd get more than a few healthy months out of it. Anyway, will be worth waiting at least until the sequel release date is made public.

colacentral

Yoshi's Wooly World is a really great game, especially if you play it the right way, which is to try to find as many of the collectable items on a stage as you can before finishing. I think people would say it's too easy, but that's only if you're just trying to get to the end of each course as fast as possible.

The co-op play is fantastic.

Bazooka

Quote from: colacentral on April 11, 2017, 04:07:08 PM
Yoshi's Wooly World is a really great game, especially if you play it the right way, which is to try to find as many of the collectable items on a stage as you can before finishing. I think people would say it's too easy, but that's only if you're just trying to get to the end of each course as fast as possible.

This is true for most of Nintendo games recently, not too hard to blast through but to 100% is old school Nintendo.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Mango Chimes on April 10, 2017, 10:27:26 PM
I'd prioritise this. Not just because it's possibly the best game on the system, but because Nintendo have a history of closing servers early – they killed off the monthly Splatfests months ago and Splatoon 2's still ages off, and they knocked out all the DS online games pretty early into the 3DS's life. Splatoon's single player mode is grossly underrated, but nonetheless it is primarily an online multiplayer game. Enjoy it while you can.

DS online play stopped when it did because of a change of ownership at Gamespy, which Nintendo used for its online infrastructure for the DS (and Wii). The new owners closed that side of the business and Nintendo opted not to move it to another.

Had a quick check and the DS/Wii services shut three years after the 3DS launch and 18 months after the Wii U. Given the age of the games affected, the online services being free and the initial struggles of both the 3DS and Wii U (and which the Wii U never recovered from), I think it was a reasonable business decision.

For the 3DS and the Wii U, Nintendo used its own online infrastructure. In the case of online play for the Wii U, Nintendo uses a peer-to-peer system, rather than dedicate servers, which makes it a lot cheaper.

Nintendo said that the launch of the Switch won't interfere with the online play on the Wii U. On the one hand, it would say that but on the other, cutting off the Wii U quickly would be of very questionable value. 

Ignatius_S

Quote from: colacentral on April 11, 2017, 04:07:08 PM

Yeah, the co-op aspect is great - and it's such a charming game.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bazooka on April 11, 2017, 04:32:11 PM
This is true for most of Nintendo games recently, not too hard to blast through but to 100% is old school Nintendo.

Yoshi's Woolly World is definitely on the easy end of that scale, though. Completing the basic levels is a lot of fun, but exceedingly easy - even by Nintendo standards. As colacentral says, you really need to play it with the intention of trying to find everything as you play, as that ramps the difficulty up. For context, once I completed the game and unlocked all the secret levels, etc, I gave the game to my 6 year old niece, because I knew it was a game that wouldn't be too hard for her.     

Kelvin

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 11, 2017, 04:38:00 PM
Yeah, the co-op aspect is great - and it's such a charming game.

It really is charming. The soundtrack is great, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqlIM2FiMGw

shh

Lego City Undercover is a fun GTA-for-da-kids type game.
Rayman Legends might be the best 2D platformer on the system.

Shay Chaise

If you can find Dogshit Invaders on sale, it's worth the price ten times over.

Bazooka

Just grabbed Zelda:BOTW(not going to buy a switch for years), Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3.

I need to stay strong, channel my chi/zen and finish Xenoblade Chronicles X first before dipping my toe into the new arrivals.

Gurke and Hare

Another vote here for Lego City Undercover, it's great.

Dex Sawash