Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:00:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thor: Ragnarok

Started by Swoz_MK, April 10, 2017, 02:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: Kelvin on April 13, 2017, 07:19:49 PM
And badly made Batman movies will just harm that "brand", too.   

That can't be right!

Ooooooooh

(I actually enjoy it's stupidity, but yeah, not good for the brand)

Kelvin

As if a warning sent through time, that poster features Batgirl, Poison Ivy and Robin/Nightwing, all of whom have solo films planned now. 

monolith

Arnold Schwarzenegger[nb]I just fucking typed "Schwarzenegger" correctly without googling it.[nb]I mean I googled it to check, but I'd got it right.[nb]Technically I did google it, I get that.[/nb][/nb][/nb]as Mr Freeze is one of the best things to ever happen on film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRH-Ywpz1_I

Mister Six

Oh god they really are trying to run a movie company like a comic book company, not understanding that comic book companies have an inbuilt audience of morons who'll buy anything.

A fucking Nightwing movie?! Who gives a fuck about Nightwing? I assume hell be crowbarred into the upcoming Batfleck film to try to raise some interest.

Meanwhile, Marvel's movies are clearly trying to push out in as many different thematic directions as possible within the constraints of their particular brand - look at how different, in content and tone, Cap 3, Dr Strange and Thor all are, for example.

Blumf

Quote from: Mister Six on April 13, 2017, 10:48:43 PM
A fucking Nightwing movie?! Who gives a fuck about Nightwing?

You see, there's no problem with using lesser known characters, so long as the script is good (or at least enjoyable), people will go for it. (e.g. Deadpool, GotG)

Spiteface

Quote from: Mister Six on April 13, 2017, 10:48:43 PM
Oh god they really are trying to run a movie company like a comic book company, not understanding that comic book companies have an inbuilt audience of morons who'll buy anything.

A fucking Nightwing movie?! Who gives a fuck about Nightwing? I assume hell be crowbarred into the upcoming Batfleck film to try to raise some interest.

ON another board I post on, there's a guy who is fucking convinced Nightwing is money and some massive draw of a character. He also believes in a conspiracy that Dan DiDio wants to kill Dick Grayson. No one outside of comics, aside from MAYBE people who watch the cartoons, even knows there has been more than one Robin. I love Damian Wayne but again, who outside of comics knows Bruce Wayne is a dad these days?

Quote from: Kelvin on April 13, 2017, 08:33:13 PM
As if a warning sent through time, that poster features Batgirl, Poison Ivy and Robin/Nightwing, all of whom have solo films planned now.

Far as I'm concerned, they "fixed" Bane, but then the Nolan trilogy felt like someone knew what they were doing. I say this as someone who is more a DC guy and is pretty sick of the alleged DC "Hate Train" but they're so obviously flailing at this point.

Kelvin

No-one (other than me and six other nerds) wants a Nightwing movie, but they'd just feature Batman in every trailer, in every poster, and in every clip.

Mister Six

Quote from: Blumf on April 13, 2017, 11:04:53 PM
You see, there's no problem with using lesser known characters, so long as the script is good (or at least enjoyable), people will go for it. (e.g. Deadpool, GotG)

Deadpool stood out because it was an ultraviolent, irreverent film from the bloodless, po-faced X-Men franchise.

Guardians of the Galaxy stood out because it was a zippy ensemble space opera from the solo-superhero-dominated Marvel movies division.

What does a Nightwing movie bring to a franchise that already has Batman, Batgirl and Gotham Sirens movies coming out?

Kelvin

Quote from: Mister Six on April 13, 2017, 11:19:27 PM
Deadpool stood out because it was an ultraviolent, irreverent film from the bloodless, po-faced X-Men franchise.

Guardians of the Galaxy stood out because it was a zippy ensemble space opera from the solo-superhero-dominated Marvel movies division.

What does a Nightwing movie bring to a franchise that already has Batman, Batgirl and Gotham Sirens movies coming out?

I think its fair to say that they risk people getting tired of the Batman characters, but I honestly think a Nightwing movie, heavily sold on his relationship to Batman and his history as Robin could be very successful. Certainly moreso than Batgirl or Gotham City Sirens. Batman sells.

Blumf

Quote from: Mister Six on April 13, 2017, 11:19:27 PM

You're missing the point. Doesn't matter who knows about (and wants a film, if they do know) any obscure comic character; if the film is enjoyable, people will watch it.

Put another way, did anybody, never mind comic book nerds, know who John McClane, Alex Murphy, or Egon Spengler (et. al.) were? No! The films were still successful despite this, because of amazing scripts/direction/etc. Just because it's a lame, second tier, comic book character doesn't mean it has to be a lame, second tier film. (Just that, if it's DC, it'll take more than a miracle not to be, going by recent evidence)

Mister Six

Quote from: Blumf on April 14, 2017, 12:49:53 AM
You're missing the point. Doesn't matter who q about (and wants a film, if they do know) any obscure comic character; if the film is enjoyable, people will watch it

You're missing the point. It isn't just about obscurity but also whether the characters can be sold to audiences.

Nobody knew Iron Man, but RDJ's charisma and the robot suit were unique enough to intrigue people. Thor had the Norse god/psuedo-magic thing; Captain America had a certain degree of audience recognition but also the WWII setting.

Each film visibly presented something *different*, not just from each other but from the wider superhero context. The worst-performing Phase 1 Marvel film (I think the worst performing ever) was The Incredible Hulk, which didn't do enough to differentiate itself from the Ang Lee bomb.

So how do you sell Nightwing, especially in a glut of Batman movies? That's a character who is basically "teen/twentysomething Batman" - but so is Batgirl. Why should anyone care about Batgirlboy when actual Batgirl and actual Batman have their own movies?

The familial angle can be interesting but that works in the comic because we've seen Dick's relationship with Batman over the course of years. The DCEU has started with Jason Todd already dead and Robin flown the coop. So they'll have to work Nightwing into the upcoming Batman films if they want to create some kind of emotional connection or even attachment-by-proxy.

But THEN you run into the same problem Cyborg and Aquaman have: you're selling a spin-off of a spin-off of something nobody really liked in the first place.

(And a good script doesn't necessarily mean anything. The Good Guys was a great, funny film but didn't sell itself well enough. Fight Club has a fantastic script and looks gorgeous but tanked. Fucking Vertigo bombed!)

Mister Six

Also the examples you gave are all terrible because each of those films was a pioneer, creatively speaking. Nightwing isn't Die Hard, it's Speed 2.

Glebe

Quote from: monolith on April 14, 2017, 10:52:50 AMYou've seen it?

What, Speed 2?

Because nobody's seen Speed 2.

Nobody.

mothman

I hav... no, can't tell a lie, I haven't.

Mister Six

Quote from: monolith on April 14, 2017, 10:52:50 AM
You've seen it?

Do I have to? Conceptually, Hollywood hadn't seen anything like RoboCop, Ghostbusters or Die Hard before. Each one also established its own universe.

Nightwing is a desperate spin-off of a Batman film that's a spin-off of BvS, and based on a comic book character who has been around for 30 years. It might have an amazing script but it's not going to have the impact of any of those other films.

monolith

You're probably going to be right but I think the point is that if it as good as yer man Deadpool then it will still probably do well.

Mister Six

Sorry to continue being a boring twat, but it's only be a decent comparison of Nightwing was done as a Deadpool-style ultraviolet, irreverent comedy. Which actually doesn't sound like a bad idea - even if you know the fans would go ape shit over it, at least it's a way to make Nightwing stand out from the reams of other Batflicks.

Kelvin

No, I think it's an interesting discussion, Mister Six. I just feel like the over-riding fact is that Batman sells, and a film featuring Batman and an ex robin will almost certainly do very well, even if Nightwing, without Batman, wouldn't. At some point audiences might get fed up of Batman, of course, especially if the films aren't very good. Until that point, though, I think it's a safe bet that any film featuring Batman as a supporting character will succeed.

Erghhh more Batman disscusion in the Thor thread, talk about thread drift. This trailer has got me hyped for it, looks like there adding elements of planet hulk to this, which is goodandglad there continuing the comic tone from the Thor comedy skits they did.

phantom_power

Nice for a trailer to not seemingly give away the whole plot of the film (I am looking at you Spiderman: Homecoming). All that footage could conceivably come from the first act

Glebe

Quote from: phantom_power on April 16, 2017, 06:40:51 PM
Nice for a trailer to not seemingly give away the whole plot of the film (I am looking at you Spiderman: Homecoming). All that footage could conceivably come from the first act

And at the end of the film he
Spoiler alert
fights the Hulk
[close]

Mister Six

Nah, that's the end of the first act. Then
Spoiler alert
Thor and Banner escape and go off on a quest to save/avenge Asgard, probably while pursued by Jeff Goldblum and pals.
[close]

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Glebe on April 16, 2017, 07:03:39 PM
And at the end of the film he
Spoiler alert
fights the Hulk
[close]
Hah! Yes, like with Amazing Spider-Man 2, where every trailer and tv spot had the last shot of the fucking shitty film in.

Glebe

Well actually at the very end he
Spoiler alert
spares Goldblum's life and proves himself to be the real hero that he his. And recovers the last star-box for The Avengers or summit.
[close]

mothman

I've lost count of how many Infinity Stones there have been now - the Aether, the Tesseract, the one from Loki's sceptre (now part of Vision?) and the one from GotG?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

And the one from Doctor Strange.

mothman

Ah, not seen that. So, five out of six?

phantom_power

That would make sense so they are all seen in time for the next Avengers film