Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:12:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TV shows you thought were from different countries

Started by George White, April 10, 2017, 08:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

The Moomins' narrator was Richard "Stinker" Murdoch, Arthur Askey's foil.
No relation to Rupert.

Steven

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 26, 2017, 04:54:07 PM
You've gotta Czech out Fantastic Planet by that guy (Rene Laloux).  I love shit like that.  Spent so many wintry hours down the youtube rabbit hole feeding my head with similar stuff from across the world.  I feel like we've mostly missed a trick in the UK but especially America when it comes to using animation as a device to let our ids run riot.  Then again, probably the most twisted, feral piece of drawn fuckery I've ever seen did come from the mind of a Limey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thxuug3Fyhs

That is brilliant, makes Eraserhead look like a walk in the park.

buttgammon

Quote from: Steven on June 26, 2017, 04:49:31 PM
She might have seen the episode where it is set in Italy, though.

That's the inexplicable thing, she watched the whole run of the programme.

George White

Quote from: buttgammon on June 26, 2017, 05:56:05 PM
That's the inexplicable thing, she watched the whole run of the programme.
I wonder was it because she may have seen things like the Thorn Birds or the Bastard or the Hindenburg where German/Australian/British characters have American accents and nothing is made of it.

Phil_A

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 26, 2017, 04:54:07 PM
You've gotta Czech out Fantastic Planet by that guy (Rene Laloux).  I love shit like that.  Spent so many wintry hours down the youtube rabbit hole feeding my head with similar stuff from across the world.  I feel like we've mostly missed a trick in the UK but especially America when it comes to using animation as a device to let our ids run riot.  Then again, probably the most twisted, feral piece of drawn fuckery I've ever seen did come from the mind of a Limey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thxuug3Fyhs

Anyway, the Dougal posts make me think of The Moomins, the ITV stop-motion series from the '70s.  There's just something about the way we did that Postgate style of narration in the '70s and early '80s that feels so warm and British (well, at least the kind of British that doesn't involve pigheadedly ranting about 'muzzies' to anyone who'll hear you, or complaining about your malingering gardener in first class on the train out of London).   Think it originally came from Poland, which doesn't surprise me now as they have a pretty rockin' animation scene.  The guy doing all the narration was called Richard Murdoch, but I'm pretty sure he's no relation.  I'm too scared to wiki him just in case one of my favourite programs is ruined.  The soundtrack was recently released and it's crazy how much it sounds like the kind of dark ambient folk thing you'd expect from the Nurse With Wound list, rather than something from a kid's show.

Yes, I love that they basically gave a couple of art-school weirdos from Leeds free reign to do whatever they wanted for the soundtrack. I think it's fair to say the eerie, uncanny atmosphere most of us associate with this series is almost entirely due to Miller & Shill's contributions. Just compare it to the awful light jazz stylings of the German versions and you'll see what I mean. It's like night and day.

In fact here's a handy video comparing the different versions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN5E-vBeG0I

Trojan_Jockey

I always thought that the TV series Monkey was Chinese, when of course it's Japanese. But that's because I'm a bit racist.

Twed

As a kid I thought 2point4 Children was American, because it was so family sitcom-ish.

Probably a defining moment in my history of being both perceptive and yet incredibly fucking dense.

George White

The South African series Legend of the Hidden City tried its best to feel Australian, very Lost Islands-ish, but 20 years too late.
And even then, A lot of Aussie series, e.g. the Lost Islands, Phoenix Five almost go too far in trying to come across as generic-Commonwealth.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Twed on June 26, 2017, 09:36:09 PM
As a kid I thought 2point4 Children was American, because it was so family sitcom-ish

Maybe you were watching " Roseanne " ?

George White

Didn't, according to Ocho, formerly of this parish, they used the same scripts a few times?

remedial_gash

The last seduction 2 had Perry Benson - him from Brush strokes and Mum & Dad sitting just off Queen ST in Cardiff pretending to be NY - not even close love.

George White

He was in You Rang M'Lord not Brush Strokes, but yes, that was directed by Terry "Hawk the Slayer/Jane and the Lost City" Marcel.
Although the first Last Seduction was actually an ITC coproduction, so it counts here too.

remedial_gash

Quote from: George White on June 27, 2017, 05:53:23 PM
He was in You Rang M'Lord not Brush Strokes, but yes, that was directed by Terry "Hawk the Slayer/Jane and the Lost City" Marcel.
Although the first Last Seduction was actually an ITC coproduction, so it counts here too.

Bugger you're quite correct, could have sworn he was Karl Howman's sidekick.

Glebe

George White

I had to correct TVCream when they referred to RTE-made CP and Qwikstitch as British animation.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Trojan_Jockey on June 26, 2017, 09:25:46 PM
I always thought that the TV series Monkey was Chinese, when of course it's Japanese. But that's because I'm a bit racist.
The Journey West (Monkey) is a Chinese story though. So is The Water Margin (another Japanese TV show, set in China)

Mr Banlon

I thought the animated series Robo Story was American. It's French.

George White

Because of dubs, mistaking stuff as American was common, esp. things like anime before people knew what anime was, then Battle of the Planets which is a semi-example because it was an American refitting of an anime, not just a redubbing but with animated eidtions, then again the likes of Thundercats and other Rankin-Bass stuff, e.g. the Hobbit used Topcraft, which eventually merged into Studio Ghibli.

George White

Technically, Tales from the City was a British production after the US backers pulled out. Later series were US-produced, including the new Netflix take.

Any more?

George White

As a kid, I assumed the original Spider-Man cartoon was American, but the first series  like the other early Marvel cartoons bar the H-B Fantastic 4, was in fact made in Canada. I think the animation moved to New York when Ralph Bakshi took over, but the voices were still recorded in Canada. Hence the likes of John Vernon and Chris Wiggins.

George White

Weird one - I was four or something at the time, but I did think because they used the phrase "family affair" in ads for the Sopranos and James Gandolfini in my eyes looked a bit like the young Dara O'Briain, I thought it was a spinoff of RTE gameshow It's A Family Affair, hosted by O'Briain.
Really.

George White

Halliwell's Teleguide is convinced that Irish-made HTV TV movie Catholics was shot in Scotland, though shot and srt in Ireland with future Fair City cast and panto legend Cecil Sheridan.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Twed on June 26, 2017, 09:36:09 PM
As a kid I thought 2point4 Children was American, because it was so family sitcom-ish.

Probably a defining moment in my history of being both perceptive and yet incredibly fucking dense.
You must have been watching the wrong show. Stupid kids

George White

CBC's Dieppe from 1993 about the Canadians who helped the British Army during WW2 tries its best to convince as British. Set mostly in London,  filmed entirely in Toronto, with a cast of Canadians and Canadian-based Brits e.g. John Neville, Nigel Bennett, the accents from Robert Joy and Victor Garber as Mountbatten are more accurate than an American production but while Garber is convincing, Joy is still quite over-mannered, but a lot of the accents are passable, especially from Dublin-born Gerald Parkes, Doc in the US/Canadian/Irish-shown Fraggle Rock. However, Gabrielle Rose, the Canadian-born actress known to us from her role in Rising Damp as Brenda during her post-drama school stay in Britain's accent as a British woman is nowhere near as convincing as her accent as Brenda (which although seemed to go from region to region, no more than any other British actress of the period). Certainly, there's more knowledge of British life and culture (pub songs, a scene set during the making of In Which We Serve), and Toronto is shot in such a way to mask the locations, lots of tight closeups, and a lot of Canadian-British actors in small parts. It almost works. But perhaps a few non-Canadian based actors may have helped.

George White

Granada coproduced some US TV in the 90s/00s - sadly their most interesting project-  a Living Dead series never came to the ground.

St_Eddie

I always figured that Britain's Got Talent was a foreign import, yet that's only because I'm a fucking moron, in much the same way that the show's title is an oxymoron.

Muh hah!

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Billy on April 11, 2017, 02:11:42 AM
CITV's 'Spatz' was an odd one, a UK show but half the cast were Canadian as it was a YTV co-production. The video quality also looked like a dodgy NTSC/PAL transfer even though it was (I think?) all filmed in England.

theres a whole bunch of shows on nickelodeon that my older niece likes to watch that seem to be us shows made in the uk with a mixed cast. things like evermore and house of anubis its very confusing

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Phil_A on June 26, 2017, 07:10:17 PM
Yes, I love that they basically gave a couple of art-school weirdos from Leeds free reign to do whatever they wanted for the soundtrack. I think it's fair to say the eerie, uncanny atmosphere most of us associate with this series is almost entirely due to Miller & Shill's contributions. Just compare it to the awful light jazz stylings of the German versions and you'll see what I mean. It's like night and day.

In fact here's a handy video comparing the different versions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN5E-vBeG0I

over five months late but ... wrong link ?

George White

Not quite the same, but I was watching the Manions of America (which tried to break Pierce Brosnan and Peter Gilmore in America - success for the former, Frontios for the latter) - which I thought was filmed entirely here, interiors in Ardmore and my grandad an extra, but the dock scenes were filmed in Cornwall, because of the ship used.  I initially thought they were possible US pickups despite Harry Towb being all jolly, because they featured an uncredited John Orchard, one of those US-based Brit faces, but Orchard was resident in Britain in 1980, doing American roles in BBC series Oppenheimer and the Rose Medallion. A friend of mine, who is from Devon and obsessed with West Country-shot stuff as I am with Irish shot stuff

George White

http://web.archive.org/web/20160329081242/www.imdb.com/company/co0063285/ World International Network, a cartel of international broadcasters including Central TV coproduced various TV movies, LA Takedown, Canadian attempts at "Brittery", The Women of Windsor and the partly Manchester-set Daydream Believers - the Monkees Story, and genre stuff like Thrill Seekers, Legion of Fire: Killer Ants, Deadly Invasion: The Killer Bee Nightmare, Reaper,  etc. Do these count as British with backing from Central?