Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:29:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV shows you thought were from different countries

Started by George White, April 10, 2017, 08:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Any more?

I always thought the ABC Family series WILDFIRE was Canadian. It was shot in New Mexico, set in Northern California. Confused it with similarly horsey Canadian series Heartland.

George White

The 1974 Universal TV movie The Cay with James Earl Jones doing an unfortunately Chalky-like Caribbean accent feels more like Storm Boy or Rangi's Quest, some Commonwealth short subject or a more natural CFF film, but is actually all-American, though shot in Belize.

George White

The productions of British-based  Portman, behind such weird intercontinental mashups as the 70s Famous Five, with German Uncle Quentin, and Star Maidens, and also were involved in quite a few trans-continental oddballs - Outsiders - a German series with Scottish money set in Australia with a Scottish and German lead, and the Sri Lankan-shot Elephant Boy with Scottish and German money and a mostly Australian cast.

George White

James Bond Jr. - an Irish-Hungarian cartoon for an American station based on a British character.

George White

www.imdb.com/title/tt0206951/ Watching Sally Hemings - An American Scandal with BSB's Power Station hostess Carmen Ejogo on True Movies, when the French bits appeared, I thought, "oh, this is made in Canada!", actually shot in Virginia.

George White

Dieppe was shown by Sky, probably trying to make people think it were their own.

George White

Quote from: Isnt Anything on December 07, 2017, 07:09:21 PM
theres a whole bunch of shows on nickelodeon that my older niece likes to watch that seem to be us shows made in the uk with a mixed cast. things like evermore and house of anubis its very confusing
That's been going on since the early 90s, with Chris Cross, even earlier if you count the shot on film Anglo-American likes of Ski Boy and Here Come the Double Deckers.

George White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul4IZOv8rb4 This Pittsburgh-shot PBS vehicle for a young Kevin Spacey  feels Canadian.

thenoise

I always thought Thunderbirds was American, due to 90% of the cast having American accents and, especially, because it was so different from everything else on TV at the time.  The concept seems quite American even now, and the token Brits Lady Penelope and Parker seem like a very American view of what we are like.  Just checked wikipedia and most of the actors were British/Australians putting on accents.  Weird.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: George White on May 10, 2018, 06:17:32 PM
That's been going on since the early 90s, with Chris Cross, even earlier if you count the shot on film Anglo-American likes of Ski Boy and Here Come the Double Deckers.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, Chris Cross featured Rachel Blanchard with a dubbed English accent to mask her Canadian voice.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: George White on January 04, 2018, 10:12:05 AM

Any more?

I always thought the ABC Family series WILDFIRE was Canadian. It was shot in New Mexico, set in Northern California. Confused it with similarly horsey Canadian series Heartland.

Two of my mum's favourite shows there, and I had no idea they weren't American until reading your post a minute ago.

George White

The Secret of the Black Dragon from 1986 - A Swiss-Dutch-Yugoslavian-German-Finnish-American Jadran miniseries, with Timm Thaler himself, Tommi Ohrner, Julian Glover as a name for American audiences, with Orion lending money - early Sky show about the Thirty Years War, a common sight in US syndication

Wildfire is American.
Heartland is Canadian

George White

Not quite the same.

Astonished recently that Lovejoy was an ITC coproduction, via Witzend, one of only two productions for the BBC ITC did, the other being the Royal Variety. 
Thanks to Screen International for this.

Also, the Pallisers being the first HBO drama.

The Muppet Show was made in the UK for Lew Grade's ATV.

George White

Silent Cries - Gena Rowlands and Phyllis Logan in a Louisiana-shot miniseries about female POWs in Singapore, a sort of Tenko II, actually coproduced by Yorkshire TV in 1993, with Columbia-Tristar.
With a mix of Americans, Brits and ex-pats.

George White

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 07, 2018, 12:42:28 AM
The Muppet Show was made in the UK for Lew Grade's ATV.
Yes, but ATV/ITC did lots of variety specials.
The Bing Crosby one with Bowie singing Little Drummer Boy was an ATV one, hence Stanley Baxter as Jean Marsh/Angela Baddeley/Gordon Jackson, playing the mansion staff in-character as Rose, Mrs. Bridges and Hudson.
Yes, really.

George White

Apparently, Vision On was a Canadian coproduction.

Alberon

Quote from: thenoise on July 15, 2018, 10:20:50 AM
I always thought Thunderbirds was American, due to 90% of the cast having American accents and, especially, because it was so different from everything else on TV at the time.  The concept seems quite American even now, and the token Brits Lady Penelope and Parker seem like a very American view of what we are like.  Just checked wikipedia and most of the actors were British/Australians putting on accents.  Weird.

Filmed in Slough as well.

petril

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 26, 2017, 04:54:07 PM
You've gotta Czech out Fantastic Planet by that guy (Rene Laloux).  I love shit like that.  Spent so many wintry hours down the youtube rabbit hole feeding my head with similar stuff from across the world.  I feel like we've mostly missed a trick in the UK but especially America when it comes to using animation as a device to let our ids run riot.  Then again, probably the most twisted, feral piece of drawn fuckery I've ever seen did come from the mind of a Limey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thxuug3Fyhs

Anyway, the Dougal posts make me think of The Moomins, the ITV stop-motion series from the '70s.  There's just something about the way we did that Postgate style of narration in the '70s and early '80s that feels so warm and British (well, at least the kind of British that doesn't involve pigheadedly ranting about 'muzzies' to anyone who'll hear you, or complaining about your malingering gardener in first class on the train out of London).   Think it originally came from Poland, which doesn't surprise me now as they have a pretty rockin' animation scene.  The guy doing all the narration was called Richard Murdoch, but I'm pretty sure he's no relation.  I'm too scared to wiki him just in case one of my favourite programs is ruined.  The soundtrack was recently released and it's crazy how much it sounds like the kind of dark ambient folk thing you'd expect from the Nurse With Wound list, rather than something from a kid's show.

the theme music is one of the saddest, most melancholic themes I've ever heard. still brings a tear to the eye. makes me feel like I'm heading home from a funeral. <3.

SteK

Every time I watch Soupy Norman and the culchie lass goes to Dublin which I know is probably Warsaw in reality and I spot an interesting landmark I always say to myself 'Wonder where that is in Dublin?'

Should add I live in Dublin.

Any Soupy Norman fans here?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: George White on July 14, 2018, 10:03:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul4IZOv8rb4 This Pittsburgh-shot PBS vehicle for a young Kevin Spacey  feels Canadian.
It's only a few hundred miles from Pittsburgh to the Canadian border.

George White

Quote from: SteK on October 23, 2019, 01:59:42 PM
Every time I watch Soupy Norman and the culchie lass goes to Dublin which I know is probably Warsaw in reality and I spot an interesting landmark I always say to myself 'Wonder where that is in Dublin?'

Best thing RTE ever did, perhaps even moreso than the against all odds Strumpet City

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: SteK on October 23, 2019, 01:59:42 PM

The day I found it on Youtube was a happy day indeed. Brilliant stuff.

Quote from: George White on February 11, 2018, 11:13:03 AM
James Bond Jr. - an Irish-Hungarian cartoon for an American station based on a British character.

And its tie-in book series was written by none other than John Peel.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 23, 2019, 07:34:22 PM
And its tie-in book series was written by none other than John Peel.

Not the DJ though right? There's a JP that writes lots of cult TV type things.

SteK

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 23, 2019, 07:24:52 PM
The day I found it on Youtube was a happy day indeed. Brilliant stuff.

I was actually in Buttevant last week, and thought I'd have a look at some of the locations from Soupy Norman. Did it again!

And went to Mallow, featured in Can't Cope, Won't Cope, and it (mostly) isn't Mallow, the station bits are, the rest is Dublin Southside.

Also did what I've wanted to do for years, visit Ollie Reed's grave in Churchtown (near Buttevant) - bit underwhelming, but I've done it.

Famous Mortimer

George White

The thing about Soupy Norman is the location used, which IIRC is Wroclaw has Luas type trams to enhance the effect.

SteK

Quote from: George White on October 24, 2019, 04:15:53 PM
The thing about Soupy Norman is the location used, which IIRC is Wroclaw has Luas type trams to enhance the effect.

Why don't you walk stooped forward like you're from Kildare? Never understood that line....