Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:53:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Darkness slam 'boring' Radiohead

Started by @ssmaster, February 18, 2004, 03:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

@ssmaster

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_867681.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

Oh won a couple of second class awards so we think we can slag everyone off now can we. Just what we need another Liam Gallagher type character.

I hope Radiohead don't lower themselves to reply to this tit, it really annoys me when new bands get above their station.

smoker

"According to Hawkins, he and his brother's band is just what the music world needs right now: "The world needs people like us. And we're ready."

fuck'um. i used to think they were likeable lads, but since last night i think the fame has gone to their heads in a Big way.

Peking O

I wouldn't take it too seriously. The Darkness have been doing a cover of Radiohead's "Street Spirit" for quite a while now.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "@ssmaster"it really annoys me when new bands get above their station.

I've always looked at The Darkness as the audio equivalent of trolls anyway. I don't care whether they're being ironic or not. Irony is merely annoying if it's without wit, insight, and indeed any vestige of humour. PLC did warn you, but did you all listen?

Still on the topic of monsters created from minor irritants, the Darkness farce is nothing compared to this news that Peter Andre has gained a million pound record deal from his recent TV exposure. Sure, you all thought that it was harmless fun at the time, didn't you? Now look what you've gone and done ...

Regardless of whether you like them or not.
or whether it's irony. or not.

isn't he right.

didgeripoo

How the bloody hell are Starsailor related to Radiohead? How? How? They're fuck all alike!

23 Daves

I'd agree that we need a band right now who have on-stage energy, charisma, bright ideas, humour and some interesting clothes.  Yes.

However, that band is not The Darkness, who have mistaken a few Brian May riffs, some silly faces, squeaky singing, bad hair and worn-out puns for the real deal.  They're the Avid Merrion of the rock scene, so fucking knowingly whacky it's annoying.  If you take someone like Jarvis Cocker out of Pulp who is an amazing showman, and can be incredibly witty and insightful as well as knowing and interesting, and compare him to that dickweed it's clear who would be the better pop star.  

The Darkness are just like a marketing man's idea of crazy kitsch to appeal to student types.  Whether or not they did or did not have the aid of PR in their early days makes absolutely no difference.  It's still essentially what they amount to.

Hopefully their time will pass soon.

TraceyQ

<yawn> The Darkness are soooo 2003.

At least they've paved the way for some *real* rock music.  

My tip for the next big thing? Rockabilly Punk. The Cramps, The DC's etc. It's going to be a fifties style Rock and Roll revival.

imitationleather

Shut up, old woman, The Darkness were never any year.

I hope all The Darkness die... Or release a terrible second album, whichever happens sooner. They're a load of fucking cunty cunts with no right to life.

Quote from: "TraceyQ"It's going to be a fifties style Rock and Roll revival.
Groovy.

I know that Shaky is going headline (along with Simple Minds) the Langelands festival in Denmark this summer.

And the Stray Cats have a project with Lemmy going on.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "imitationleather"Shut up, old woman, The Darkness were never any year.

I hope all The Darkness die... Or release a terrible second album, whichever happens sooner. They're a load of fucking cunty cunts with no right to life.

That's a dreadful thing to say, child. Go to your room.

imitationleather

Cuh... At least you're going to die before me.

I think this thread should be locked, because The Darkness aren't worth any more bandwith. And look, they're turning us against each other! It's like we're letting them win!

TraceyQ

Quote from: "Garfield And Friends"
Quote from: "TraceyQ"It's going to be a fifties style Rock and Roll revival.
Groovy.

I know that Shaky is going headline (along with Simple Minds) the Langelands festival in Denmark this summer.

And the Stray Cats have a project with Lemmy going on.

Believe me, it will happen. There will be a massive late fifties style rock and roll and wall of sound type revival about the time that Phil Spector is sent to prison for murder.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "imitationleather"Cuh... At least you're going to die before me.

Wanna bet?

The Darkness should be discussed because by this time next month your Dad will love them and even your Gran will have heard of Justin Hawkins.

imitationleather

My dad loved them about a year ago... And he's got a navel piercing. So neer.

Okay, let's see who lives the longest. Whoever wins gets the Caper rights of bookies in Hove. Quite a prize, I'm sure you'll agree.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "imitationleather"My dad loved them about a year ago... And he's got a navel piercing. So neer.

Okay, let's see who lives the longest. Whoever wins gets the Caper rights of bookies in Hove. Quite a prize, I'm sure you'll agree.

Ok.

Ready? Set? ....... GO!!!

(any chance of your old feller's phone number, by the way?)

Rats

Rockabilly punk? What's wrong with the fall? Why does it have to be the cramps or the bloody white stripes. You think you're a year ahead but your 25 years too late missus, go on, on yer bike. We need something new, no playing the music your dad thought was cool. Use your imaginations you competative plaguarists-ah.

TraceyQ

My Dad liked the Police and Big Country. I'm not going back there, oh no, sireee.

I dont make the fashions, Rats, I'm just a slave to them.  I've got my finger on the pulse and I feel  drainpipe trousers and thin ties coursing through the next big thing's veins. Pass the pomade, mother.

(I could be making this all up, you know)

Rats

No, I think you're right, it's just annoying that it's all going nowhere.

weirdbeard

Quote from: "@ssmaster"Oh won a couple of second class awards so we think we can slag everyone off now can we. Just what we need another Liam Gallagher type character.

Incidentally, Noel Gallagher called them "inoffensive" in a recent interview, which seemed to piss the singer off royally.  He's slagged them off twice in a couple of weeks since.  

All I have to say is this: The Darkness were a support act to Robbie Williams.

@ssmaster

Quote from: "weirdbeard"[All I have to say is this: The Darkness were a support act to Robbie Williams.

Well thats it in a nutshell isn't it. I wonder if thats buggered their airplay on MTV2

23 Daves

I have recently grown a quiff and have been listening to some stomping blues noises all week.  Do I win advance points?  I feel I am ahead of my time yet again.

sproggy

He's just been on C4 news live and denied everything, blaming it on tabloid tweaking.

I also heard them described as a mediocre Queen cover band today.

Doctor Stamen

There's quite a few quotes there them to deny.

I've never liked The Darkness, countries like America and Germany are more than welcome to them.  Listened to their album once on holiday last year and immediately dismissed it as a pile of shite.  There's just no room for cock rock in modern society, the human race has evolved since then.  They'll probably go down a fucking treat in places like Latvia and Poland where they're all still walking around in their body warmers, 'Slippery When Wet' t-shirts and Pony trainers like it's nineteen-eighty-fucking-five.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "23 Daves"I have recently grown a quiff and have been listening to some stomping blues noises all week.  Do I win advance points?  I feel I am ahead of my time yet again.

You do, Daves. Come and sit on the cool couch with me and we can sneer at all the passers by.

Kawaii Five-O

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"There's just no room for cock rock in modern society, the human race has evolved since then.  They'll probably go down a fucking treat in places like Latvia and Poland where they're all still walking around in their body warmers, 'Slippery When Wet' t-shirts and Pony trainers like it's nineteen-eighty-fucking-five.

Ha! You should come to Swansea. Right now the most popular local band is a Motley Crue tribute band, sleeveless denim jackets covered in Helloween patches are the height of fashion (in 'alternative' circles), and it's acceptable (nay, encouraged) to like Cinderella. Naturally, the Darkness are huge round here, and even when they  disappear into obscurity as far as everywhere else is concerned, Swansea'll still love 'em, and will probably take pride in 'sticking by Justin' (honestly, people round here talk as if he's their best mate).

The amount of hostility you get from the 'alt kids' round here simply for not liking the Darkness is staggering. They look at you as if you've just admitted to offering an elderly blind woman a crisp from a bag filled with pins.

peet

One of the band did a live phone interview on channel four news this evening... he was asked about the Radiohead comments and said something like, "No I never said anything like that, we're Radiohead fans, the thing about like the tabloids and media is yeh, because we're huge now everyone puts words in our mouths, we never said any of that stuff about other bands". He then immediately replied to a question about Lemmy saying The Darkness were a 'caberet act' with: "Yeah well, Lemmy never won a Brit award, and he hasn't sold as many records as us neither, ha!"  :rolleyes:

Peking O

Quote from: "peet""Yeah well, Lemmy never won a Brit award, and he hasn't sold as many records as us neither, ha!"  :rolleyes:

I didn't hear that interview, but clearly they're having a laugh with that comment, as with the Radiohead one. Has everyone had a sense of humour bypass or something? I can see how the humour in their music might grate after a while, but it's a bit bewildering to see how many of you are taking these interview comments seriously....

gazzyk1ns

All of this is a very hard one to judge. At first I liked them, then I saw a few interviews with Justin... and started thinking he was too big for his boots (this was a while ago too). Then I spend some time with an old mate who has been a massive fan for ages - and he says "Nah it's just an act, they say they deliberately imitate childish rockstar tantrums and quotes to mimick people like Axl Rose". At the time I took no notice of him but if you try to "go along" with this idea whilst listening to an interview with them then it does add up, it's like he's being very deadpan.

I don't know if he is or not, and/or when he is or not.

There again I don't know the personalities of any of my favourite artists and I don't let that affect my judgements of them.

weirdbeard

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"All of this is a very hard one to judge. At first I liked them, then I saw a few interviews with Justin... and started thinking he was too big for his boots (this was a while ago too). Then I spend some time with an old mate who has been a massive fan for ages - and he says "Nah it's just an act, they say they deliberately imitate childish rockstar tantrums and quotes to mimick people like Axl Rose". At the time I took no notice of him but if you try to "go along" with this idea whilst listening to an interview with them then it does add up, it's like he's being very deadpan..

That's all well and fine but how long does it take before the 'joke' gets incredibly tiresome and boring?  You've got to wonder how much corporate cock are they sucking to have sold nearly 1.5 million albums on the back of ONE song.  Which wasn't a bad song, by the way, but they are the sort of band that are just about acceptable in high moderation.  

What am I saying, the singer used to write jingles for IKEA, fuck them.