Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:48:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Drunk/stoned questions thead

Started by Howj Begg, April 13, 2017, 11:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howj Begg

Did the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi ever really do anyhting naughty with Mia Farrow or is that a load of bollcoks that Lennon made up? What do you think?

Howj Begg

Do you think that every object of its type is radically unique, ie persons, brains, animals, or are you of the opinion that most things share themes and properties which bind them together into discrete but distinct categories?

biggytitbo

One of the best lyrics ever written was the original Sexy Sadie about the Maharishi -

QuoteYou little twat
Who the fuck do you think you are?
Who the fuck do you think you are?
Oh, you cunt

Howj Begg

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 13, 2017, 11:53:54 PM
One of the best lyrics ever written was the original Sexy Sadie about the Maharishi -

yes, and it's a great song. But come on biggy, get your cluesharter hat on - did Lennon make it up?

gib

Why do different species of trees have all different shaped leaves? If natural selection has honed the perfect photosynthetic solar panel then how come they they haven't all agreed on the best shape yet?

Howj Begg

Quote from: gib on April 13, 2017, 11:56:26 PM
Why do different species of trees have all different shaped leaves? If natural selection has honed the perfect photosynthetic solar panel then how come they they haven't all agreed on the best shape yet?

But you know the answer to this one! Natural selection is all about what the environment does to the organism! So leaves will need to be shaped differently in different environments to deal with variables like light intensity, shade, competition from other plants and animals, geology... in order to maximise phtosynthesis and continued growth.

gib

nearly all of those variables are the same for canopy trees, especially in mixed woodland

Howj Begg

okay, fair enough. i think god made them.

manticore

Quote from: Howj Begg on April 13, 2017, 11:49:33 PM
Do you think that every object of its type is radically unique, ie persons, brains, animals, or are you of the opinion that most things share themes and properties which bind them together into discrete but distinct categories?

Ideally we would see everything as God would, in its radical particularity and individuality, but language and conceptual thought and survival needs prevent this. Still we can do our best.

Mr Eggs

Moss can't even fucking decide. Trees at least bother to go up.

zomgmouse

Why are there different animals? We've already got a cow so who needs antelopes or marmosets?

Howj Begg

If someone assassinated Donald Trump, how do you think he would be viewed by the press and the public? Would he be openly treated as a hero?

QDRPHNC

What if C-A-T really spelled dog?

biggytitbo

What if CHurchill was a sandwich, would we have won the war?

wosl

biggytitbo

Well it was only the Germans that lost, the Nazis won the war.

wosl

No, I meant with pencils.  Instead of with weapons being involved.

wosl

Can pencils be weapons? 

Indeed they can

biggytitbo

Quote from: wosl on April 14, 2017, 01:13:20 AM
Can pencils be weapons?

let me insert one into your anus and eyeballs and see.

Geoffs~Cape

How is there room for everything in the world? Think of anything. Bowling balls. Must be thousands of the things. How do they all fit in? How does everything fit in? I refuse to believe it.

HappyTree

Do you know anyone, or know anyone who knows anyone, who works in a bowling ball factory?

No.

So where do they come from?

Geoffs~Cape

Very good question Tree.

When I used to go in chat rooms I would sometimes pretend I worked in a roller skate factory, in the hope of sounding fun and zany. The truth is I've never even seen a roller skate factory, let alone worked in one and don't know anyone who has.

It's all a lie.

I just googled "how does everything fit in the world?" and I'm none the wiser.

wosl

Geoffs, meet Lubo Mietev

QuoteCan we make everything fit into one world? When we speak of 'one world' we mean that we have to cross the boundaries between different aspects of our lives. Is it possible for us to do this? Can we programme our world into another person's mind? What if the war had been drawn? I shall discuss the frame problem, show how it is linked to the issue of programming the human mind and then address the problems of chance and reductionism...

Geoffs~Cape

Thanks wos. I got about halfway through and realised I hadn't understood a word of it and had no idea who this 'Dreyfus' character was who suddenly appeared on the scene, but it seems he could be on to something. I'll have another crack at it tomorrow, thanks.

I'm off for a lie down. Night all. Night.

fit bird

Are there really enough cows for all this beef to be?

Howj Begg

Well then, Is artificial consciousness in essence the same thing as organic consciouness? Is there anything in human consciousness that a robot couldn't learn in time?

Puce Moment

How do vinyl records work? I mean, really. A needle scraping across plastic sounds the same as a musical performance.

manticore

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 14, 2017, 02:36:41 AM
How do vinyl records work? I mean, really. A needle scraping across plastic sounds the same as a musical performance.

And you can play them with a sharpened matchstick! You get a miniscule music performance! Strange.

Tombola

Just called out a tosser who was trying to recruit me in some pyramid selling scam and he got very irate. On his imaginary 80k he stormed off and said I deserved to be alone.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 14, 2017, 02:36:41 AM

mate, how does recording and reproduction of sounds work? How can music be imprinted, trapped and stored in oil mixed with plastic, or on magnetic tape, or on metal, to be freed later when a needle reads it off, or light touches it? It's like a song being stored in a rock by a goddess, pure myhtology.