Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:53:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 10 (Part 2)

Started by Replies From View, April 15, 2017, 06:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

May as well start a new thread as the first episode is broadcast.

Small Man Big Horse

I can't wait to ramble on about Who again, especially as I haven't read the old thread for ages due to a fear of spoilers. On that front, whilst I think it's fair enough for people not to use spoiler tags for any episode once it's aired, is it possible for people to use tags when discussing any future episodes, along with the titles, as I've tried my best to avoid all spoilers this year.

mothman

A new thread's a good idea now it's about to start (94 pages before it did so?!). Then we can all know to safely stay out of this thread until we've seen the latest episode. That's what I'll be doing anyway. So like the womenfolk after dinner, I shall now politely withdraw.

Ambient Sheep

Sheepy's guide to Doctor Who threads

Main threads about the new series, in chronological order of creation:
2004/03/04 - 2004/03/20:  Izzard as Dr Who ? (Rampant speculation)
2004/03/20 - 2005/02/21:  And the new Doctor Who is... (Eccleston's announcement to the start of Series 1 (27))
2005/02/27 - 2006/10/10:  New Doctor Who (Series 1 (27) & 2 (28))
2006/11/01 - 2007/05/21:  Newer Doctor Who  (Series 3 (29) part 1)
2007/05/24 - 2009/10/21:  The New Doctor Who thread (Series 3 (29) part 2, Series 4 (30), 2009 up to but not including The Waters Of Mars)
2009/10/21 - 2010/03/26:  The "New" Doctor Who Thread (2009 just before The Waters of Mars to just before Series 5 (31/Fnarg) aired)
2010/03/18 - 2010/07/27:  Doctor Who - Series 5 Discussion (No Spoilers) (Series 5 (31/Fnarg))
2010/06/13 - 2011/01/15:  So, Doctor Who. (started as Fry's questions thread, mutated halfway down page 12 into general post-Series-5-(31/Fnarg) discussion, including the 2010 Christmas special (A Christmas Carol))
2011/01/20 - 2012/01/05:  Doctor Who Series 6 (Series 6 (32))
2012/01/07 - 2012/12/29:  Doctor Who Series 7 and beyond (may contain spoilers) (S07(33)E01 (Asylum of the Daleks) - S07(33)E05 (The Angels Take Manhattan) plus Christmas Special (The Snowmen))
2012/12/29 - 2013/07/11:  Doctor Who, Series 7 (part two) (S07(33)E06 (The Bells of Saint John) - S07(33)E13 (The Name of the Doctor))
2013/01/07 - 2014/01/05:  Doctor Who - 50th anniversary year (overlaps with the previous thread)
2013/12/26 - 2014/08/11:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (101 pages before Series 8 (34) had even aired!)
2014/08/09 - 2014/10/21:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 2) (S08(34)E01 (Deep Breath) - S08(34)E09 (Flatline))
2014/10/21 - 2015/01/14:  Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 3) (S08(34)E09 (Flatline) - S08(34)E12 (Death in Heaven) plus Christmas Special (Last Christmas))
2015/01/05 - 2015/10/27:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (S09(35) speculation and E01 (The Magician's Apprentice) - E06 (The Woman Who Lived))
2015/10/26 - 2016/01/21:  Doctor Who - Series 9 (continued) (S09(35)E07 (The Zygon Invasion) - S09(35)E12 (Hell Bent) plus Christmas Special (The Husbands of River Song))
2016/01/22 - 2017/04/15:  Doctor Who - Series 10 (Pre-S10(36) speculation)
2017/04/15 - 201?/??/??:    Doctor Who - Series 10 (Part 2) (S10(36)E01 (The Pilot) onwards - you're reading it now)

Threads about the old series, in chronological order of creation:
Old Doctor Who (Original thread, 2005/05/11 - 2010/06/08)
Old Doctor Who (Second thread, 2011/01/14 - 2016/10/21)
Old Doctor Who - Part 3 (Third thread, 2016/10/21 - 20??/??/??)

Other Doctor Who related broadcast threads, also in chronological order:
Torchwood Series 1
The Sarah Jane Adventures (just the pilot, not Series 1, there was no S1 thread)
The Best And Worst Of Doctor Who... Ever
Doctor Who - where does everyone stand now ?
Torchwood Series 2
Sarah Jane adventures- Series 2
Torchwood Series 3 (aka Children of Earth)
Sarah Jane Adventures Series 3
Doctor Who and the SPOILERS OF DEATH (aborted Series 5 (31/Fnarg) thread)
Junior Masterchef with Doctor Who
Doctor Who: The Adventure Games
Torchwood: The New World (one-page thread presaging Series 4 / Miracle Day)
Torchwood return date.... (three-post thread announcing Series 4 / Miracle Day)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (aka Series 4)
Torchwood: Miracle Day (US airings)
Class (Doctor Who spin-off) series 1

There wasn't a Sarah Jane Adventures Series 4 thread, let alone a Series 5 one. :-(

Still more Doctor Who related threads, again in chronological order:
Fanzines (Comedy, Doctor Who and in general)
Mong Doctor Who series 5 (H.S. Art thread)
Recommend me some Old Doctor Who (a really good thread, IMHO)
Doctor Who Mongs (H.S. Art thread)
Beeb to show unseen interview with Dr Who theme creator (Delia Derbyshire)
Doctor Who film (November 2011 thread about film rumour)
Watching Doctor Who no 1. The Time Meddler (1965)
Why i don't like modern Doctor Who
Doctor Who leaked scripts thread (but still no spoilers) (July 2014)
Doctor Who: The Movie (April 2015 thread about another film rumour)
K9: Timequake (new movie coming 2017, allegedly... very allegedly, by now)
Doctor Who World (should it become an expanded franchise like Marvel?)
Dr Who Re Dooooo (would it be worth refilming some early stories?)
Doctor Who or Chips? (addressing the burning issue of the day)
Tom Baker is still alive (General Tom Baker appreciation thread)

(See here for sources.  Further additions & corrections welcome.)

Deanjam

I enjoyed that, aside from the usual negatives (flippancy undermining the drama / an over-insistant soundtrack). Nice atmosphere in the first half, could almost have been a ghost story. Bill is good, a definite improvement. With the romance angle removed I hope they avoid the aguing angle too. Let them be pals.

notjosh

They already did
Spoiler alert
water-based lifeforms
[close]
in Nebulous and at the end they just
Spoiler alert
mopped them up
[close]
with a
Spoiler alert
sponge
[close]
. Why didn't the Doctor just do that?

Didn't like it anyway, bored of seeing new companions discovering the TARDIS. In future they should just appear without explanation like Nardole.

Deanjam

Quote from: notjosh on April 15, 2017, 08:14:02 PM
They already did
Spoiler alert
water-based lifeforms
[close]
in Nebulous and at the end they just
Spoiler alert
mopped them up
[close]
with a
Spoiler alert
sponge
[close]
. Why didn't the Doctor just do that?

Cos it wasn't
Spoiler alert
water
[close]

Kelvin

Yeah, I liked that, despite the glib dialogue. A decent central idea, genuinely creepy at times, and it had some actual energy. Felt a bit like Amy Pond''s first episode, actually; a good jumping on point, with a focus on character and a simple story well told.     

pigamus

I liked Bill. Don't know if I liked the rest of it.

Alberon

Yep, really good episode. Bill is already coming across well, especially as most 'jumping on point' episodes are much more companion heavy than normal so Mackie had a lot to do right from the start.

Nardole seems to have a mechanical body, though it doesn't really explain how he has been around so long with the Doctor at the university. And I'm sure that was some
Spoiler alert
Movellans getting blown up by the Daleks
[close]

All very good.

Spiteface

That was... okay.

Bill isn't as irritating as I dreaded, I'll even go as far as saying she may grow on me. Matt Lucas is the most tolerable he's been in ages, too.

But, as I've said before, Peter Capaldi is better than the show he's actually in. I'll be watching for a few weeks, but I really do need this series to shape up. The preview got me kind of excited though.

vic spanner

I really enjoyed that. Bill is promising, and the atmosphere of the episode was creepy with enough space to establish the new companion and the mystery of the vault. Plus points for Susan and the Movellans, too.

Talulah, really!

It's just the latest spin on The Empty Child only with magic water instead of nanobots. There was a good idea for a creepy horror story for the under tens in the middle but either side was meandering padding.

kittens

it's promising. series could go either way at this point. personally, i hope the series is a GOOD one

weekender

I enjoyed that it was new Doctor Who, but it didn't really strike me as an episode that I'll ever want to watch again.

Lots of yin yang references on shirts gave a lot of it away.

I still think my theory of everything timey-wimey going backwards-wackwardsy is sort of right, which is why River Song's picture got added next to Susan's.

Phil_A

I have to admit my heart sank a bit during the pre-credits scene, the dialogue for that bit was incredibly clunky and the music was veering toward Teletext Holidays. Also Nardole was more "robotic" than during the rest of the episode where he just seem to behave like a human. Bit odd.

It improved after that though. Felt like a solid "reintroduction" episode in the vein of Smith & Jones, with the Doctor back to being enigmatic and unknowable again, and I like Bill that called him out on his mind-wiping shenanigans. Strange music choices throughout, though.

sillymisslily

Cared more about Bill in 20 minutes more than I did Clara in three years.

Yes some dialogue was clunky and there were shades of The Lodger/Waters of Mars/Empty Child in the story but it was good and engaging.

I liked the big episode title as well- is that a new thing?

If they've worked out the Doctor's character and Moffat's got his mojo back and we've got one strong companion (and one OK one), then we might be away. Shame Chinballs will be running the show after this.

Spoiler alert
Next week looks a bit Girl Who Waited mixed with The Happiest Place in the Universe (whatever the Sylvester McCoy one with happy people and a shit Thatcher analogy was called), but overall, next time clips look pretty good, and I'm dead pleased John Simm's back, despite most retconning/returning characters from however many years ago things getting on my tits.
[close]

weekender

Calling it "The Pilot" was a bit of a shit move on Moffat's part as well, some of the dialogue was pretty clunky.

Best move now would be to make Riz Ahmed the next Doctor.

kittens

Quote from: weekender on April 15, 2017, 08:36:00 PM

i would cream my pants

Deanjam

Weirdly, I had a dream about this.

Serge

Yeah, I really enjoyed that. Pearl Mackie was great - admittedly, I will jump with joy for anybody who isn't Jenna Coleman, but she did well with (as people have pointed out) the 'let's introduce it for new folks' dialogue. Though I did like The Doctor and Nardole talking about how long it took her to say the classic line. The mystery of the vault, that has been speculated about in the old thread, and which I won't speculate further on here. I did spot the Movellans, and liked how they inserted part of the introductory Bill trailer from last year. What was the Doctor playing on his guitar in the other room at the beginning?

The trailer (spoilered in case anyone skipped it):

Spoiler alert
JOHN SIMM'S MASTER!
[close]

Spoiler alert
Yes, I knew he was coming back, but that's the first time they've used him in a trailer.
[close]

Spoiler alert
A regeneration in the trailer? Interesting.
[close]

BritishHobo

I really enjoyed that. Despite how hard Moffat and the promos worked to make Bill seem like she was going to be obnoxiously knowing, I've fallen for her near instantly. She was lovely, and her relationship with Heather made for a really compelling and moving basis for the episode. Good, gripping, tightly plotted. Already I'm more engaged and excited by her and her dynamic with Capaldi (and theirs with Nardole) than in three series of Clara. This is continuing the more defined Twelve of last series, and I can't wait to see more of him.

Bring on the rest of the series!

MuteBanana

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on April 15, 2017, 08:08:00 PM
Sheepy's guide to Doctor Who threads

Main threads about the new series, in chronological order of creation:
2004/03/04 - 2004/03/20:  Izzard as Dr Who ? (Rampant speculation)

That first one

Quote from: ozziechef on March 04, 2004, 09:23:50 PM
I heard Andrew Lincoln from this life and teachers mentioned the other day by a really big Dr Who fan at work, I think that'd work nicely

(the Dr Who fan wasn't happy at the thought though)

Lincoln would be my choice today if they went with a Who movie franchise.

Talulah, really!

Calling it "The Pilot" was a bit of a shit move on Moffat's part as well, some of the dialogue was pretty clunky.

"I'd give it a minute if I were you."

Quote from: Serge on April 15, 2017, 08:41:15 PM
What was the Doctor playing on his guitar in the other room at the beginning?

Beethoven's Fifth wasn't it?

BritishHobo

Funnily enough her 'asking all the questions' shtick made her introduction to the TARDIS more believable than any other companion I've seen. I thought it was going to be cynical 'who cares you old fart, it's just a blahddy spaceship', but it was really natural - trying to think through all the logical explanations for what you're seeing (knockthrough, lift, clever trick) before finally realising what wonderful magic it is.

Spiteface

Quote from: Serge on April 15, 2017, 08:41:15 PM
Yeah, I really enjoyed that. Pearl Mackie was great - admittedly, I will jump with joy for anybody who isn't Jenna Coleman, but she did well with (as people have pointed out) the 'let's introduce it for new folks' dialogue. Though I did like The Doctor and Nardole talking about how long it took her to say the classic line. The mystery of the vault, that has been speculated about in the old thread, and which I won't speculate further on here. I did spot the Movellans, and liked how they inserted part of the introductory Bill trailer from last year. What was the Doctor playing on his guitar in the other room at the beginning?

The trailer (spoilered in case anyone skipped it):

Spoiler alert
JOHN SIMM'S MASTER!
[close]

Spoiler alert
Yes, I knew he was coming back, but that's the first time they've used him in a trailer.
[close]

Spoiler alert
A regeneration in the trailer? Interesting.
[close]

That last one makes me wonder -
Spoiler alert
have they cast the next Doctor yet? Or is this a fakeout one like they've done before? Bravo for keeping it under wraps so far if it's happening.
[close]

Another one that oddly got me excited was the
Spoiler alert
old-timey Cybermen. I've never even seen an old Who story where they looked like that, but it made me smile that they are doing that.
[close]

Deanjam

So Bill's nearly girlfriend was called Heather. As in Bill & Heather Hartnell.

daf

Aside from the Poochie moment with the electric guitar i thought it was . . .