Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:46:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Day Today music

Started by HappyTree, April 15, 2017, 09:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTree

Who did the music for TDT?

I always assumed Morris himself wrote and performed it all, but now I just thought maybe not. I now assume he wrote the parodies and got collaborators in to do the music. I have had and still have no basis for these assumptions whatsoever.

So who did what?

I've had Uzi Lover in my head all day. Never gets old.

BJB

Morris, in collaboration with Jonathan Whitehead, who also seems to have worked on music for most British comedy post 1994 according to wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Whitehead

HappyTree

Ah, cheers!

Once a month
You become a slave
To a tidal wave
Body's little clock
Could mess up your frock

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Some stock music seems to have been used for stings and montages.

Someone mentioned finding the backing to USA 94 (gooooooaaaaaaal) on a dance compilation.

alan nagsworth

I would genuinely love to get my hands on a collection of Whitehead's collected works. Some of his shit is utterly mental, like the stuff Jones is always playing in Nathan Barley, or the music people hear when they take Cake on the BrassEye "Drugs" episode. He also did the "This is Outrageous" tune from Peep Show.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 18, 2017, 07:01:44 PM
I would genuinely love to get my hands on a collection of Whitehead's collected works. Some of his shit is utterly mental, like the stuff Jones is always playing in Nathan Barley, or the music people hear when they take Cake on the BrassEye "Drugs" episode. He also did the "This is Outrageous" tune from Peep Show.

Oh yeah definitely, just checked out his wiki page, that's quite a cv. So apparently he's also the guy that did the black books theme tune, which is possibly my favourite sitcom theme ever

Kane Jones

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on April 20, 2017, 01:43:32 AM
the black books theme tune, which is possibly my favourite sitcom theme ever

That theme always reminds me of Tom Wait's Rain Dogs album. Just the overall vibe is very similar.

Steven

Quote from: Kane Jones on April 20, 2017, 12:21:21 PM
That theme always reminds me of Tom Wait's Rain Dogs album. Just the overall vibe is very similar.

I always thought the Black Books Theme was a spikier rip-off of the melody/solo from The Beatles' And I Love Her.

New Jack

Quote from: Kane Jones on April 20, 2017, 12:21:21 PM

If by vibe you mean the lot.

Kane Jones

monkfromhavana

My brother and I still rap Uzi Lover to each other all the time

"cunt bitch muthafucka"

Kane Jones

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 03, 2017, 08:08:33 PM
My brother and I still rap Uzi Lover to each other all the time

"cunt bitch muthafucka"

People around here told me it was 'cop' not 'cunt' which has slightly ruined it for me.

Kelvin

Quote from: Kane Jones on June 15, 2017, 01:07:28 PM
People around here told me it was 'cop' not 'cunt' which has slightly ruined it for me.

It's cock, surely?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sxZ4tsp8gc

Steven

Quote from: Kelvin on June 18, 2017, 04:40:02 PM
It's cock, surely?

I'm sure it's 'cop' as Morris was most likely saritising the controversy surrounding NWA's Fuk Da Police.

Kelvin

Quote from: Steven on June 18, 2017, 07:05:54 PM
I'm sure it's 'cop' as Morris was most likely saritising the controversy surrounding NWA's Fuk Da Police.

He is, yes, but he's also parodying the over-use/edgy use of swearing. I've always assumed that he says cock, as the entire line is just a string of profanities.

hewantstolurkatad

Didn't Morris have a few songs with (presumably) a pretty quick turnaround on his radio 1 music show? Iirc they were usually just him singing over some other song but I imagine these were generally a case that Morris figured out a general structure and sung it then whitehead was tasked with putting music to it that both fit and didn't overwhelm the lyrical content.

Did Whitehead do the Trashbat Rap? I quite like all the sampling going on in it