Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charles Addams

Started by manticore, April 15, 2017, 11:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manticore

DELETED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the crime of duplication. That's about the fourth time I've done it now. Thank you for your attentiveness Mr. Yeatman.

IOO lines I must not repeat myself I must not repeat myself...

etc. ARSE

Maurice Yeatman

^  You posted that one a few weeks ago. #MeToo

Just realised this thread's been going for over 17 months! Nice work, manters.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: manticore on September 23, 2018, 11:17:57 PM

A joke that would now probably no longer work in pro-gun parts of the US.

manticore

Yes, the cartoon's from 1961.

"The call is coming from inside the house."

Dex Sawash

I like that it would take several days to have plausible opportunity to use advance knowledge of future stock prices for the sake of the gag.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

As the style of the preceding two cartoons show, we're very much getting on to the later works of yer man now, aren't we ? Has more or less every Charles Addams cartoon been put on this thread? Are we reaching the end ? I'd like to think not, but it seems likely.

manticore

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 25, 2018, 12:05:46 PM
As the style of the preceding two cartoons show, we're very much getting on to the later works of yer man now, aren't we ? Has more or less every Charles Addams cartoon been put on this thread? Are we reaching the end ? I'd like to think not, but it seems likely.

I don't know why, but Addams did a few cartoons in a rougher and more sketchy style spread throughout his career. Maybe he was working to a deadline and ran out of time. The last two are from 1961 and '64, so not very near the end.

But yes, I really don't think there are many left now, given that I'm not going to post the ones containing borderline racism (which aren't generally very funny anyway).

manticore

This idea was definitely used in a TV comedy sketch, something like The Two Ronnies.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: manticore on September 25, 2018, 10:43:17 PM

This idea was definitely used in a TV comedy sketch, something like The Two Ronnies.

Not The Nine O'Clock News.  Mel Smith as the dirty old man in a raincoat and flat cap, and Rowan Atkinson as the police sergeant passing him the phone.  I think it did make the compilation shows/DVDs, so I'll see if I can find it on YT.

Thank you for continuing to post all these, btw.  It's been lovely wading through them all.

manticore

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 28, 2018, 12:27:43 AM
Not The Nine O'Clock News.  Mel Smith as the dirty old man in a raincoat and flat cap, and Rowan Atkinson as the police sergeant passing him the phone.  I think it did make the compilation shows/DVDs, so I'll see if I can find it on YT.

Ah, thank you! Rings a bell. I wonder if they came up with the idea independently, or got it from the cartoon.

Isnt Anything

heh thats quite good but i particularly love the flower-arranging one

manticore

Merchant of Venice reference I think.

manticore

I'm thinking it's a reference to the pound of flesh that Shylock demands from Bassanio (had to wiki that) if he doesn't pay back the loan Shylock makes him. Think that chopping thing is to remove the flesh.

Isnt Anything

Yes, with butchers scales if you look - that hairdryer looking thing. i remember that style of them from my early childhood, so do you probably.