Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:38:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Charles Addams

Started by manticore, April 15, 2017, 11:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: manticore on November 13, 2018, 10:52:52 PM

Like this because it leaves so much to the imagination. What could Fester be requesting?

Pork chop and kidney

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh, that Uncle Fester. What *is* he like, eh? Just look at that waiter's shocked face. No nodding along acquiescently for this waiter, no sireee. I've never seen such a shocked waiter. LEGEND FESTER!

manticore

This is defamation. Uncle Fester is no LEGEND, there's no bants here, no posturing to shock. Fester is authentically depraved and he wants to eat what he wants to eat, a true gourmet of the unspeakable.

Yeah, pork chop and kidney probably.

manticore

Early example of Pugsley at play.

manticore

This is from the web, it's not in any of the books - don't know why.

Icehaven

manticore

Me being a bit of a collector and a completist and all I'm a bit annoyed it's not in one of the books. Trying to see if I can find other good ones on the web that I don't know.

MojoJojo

Quote from: manticore on November 17, 2018, 05:40:13 PM
Me being a bit of a collector and a completist and all I'm a bit annoyed it's not in one of the books. Trying to see if I can find other good ones on the web that I don't know.

Didn't he make thousands of cartoons? I assumed the available books we're only a best of - although I've not researched it at all.

New Jack

Quote from: manticore on November 15, 2018, 11:37:42 PM

What's the joke here? "You look like you get dressed in the dark mate" or something?

manticore

Quote from: New Jack on November 17, 2018, 06:45:49 PM
What's the joke here? "You look like you get dressed in the dark mate" or something?

I think it's more that he's a strange creature of the dark and inhabits it, so the most suitable place to see if the suit 'looks' good is in the dark, where he couldn't actually be seen. An amusing paradox (to me anyway!).

manticore

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 17, 2018, 06:39:28 PM
Didn't he make thousands of cartoons? I assumed the available books we're only a best of - although I've not researched it at all.

I believe Addams did about 1,300 cartoons in total, and there are about ten compilation books of approx 100 cartoons each, so I think most of them are collected in the books (plus some more in a big posthumous compilation). Maybe about 300 left over? Not sure.

manticore

Another one found on the web (God knows why it wasn't collected).

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: manticore on November 17, 2018, 10:20:10 PM
I think it's more that he's a strange creature of the dark and inhabits it, so the most suitable place to see if the suit 'looks' good is in the dark, where he couldn't actually be seen. An amusing paradox (to me anyway!).

I think it's a play on the convention that a tailor will often suggest looking at your new clothes in a room with more natural light - "See how it looks in the light," being the typical phrase. The macabre nature of the character obviously means the tailor has assumed a different priority from his customer.

manticore

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on November 18, 2018, 11:54:54 AM
I think it's a play on the convention that a tailor will often suggest looking at your new clothes in a room with more natural light - "See how it looks in the light," being the typical phrase. The macabre nature of the character obviously means the tailor has assumed a different priority from his customer.

Yes, that's pretty much what I meant, though you've put it better.

manticore

From the web again - not sure what's happening here. What is the man's job? (letters on his back must be a clue).

Dex Sawash

Quote from: manticore on November 16, 2018, 11:03:54 PM

This is from the web, it's not in any of the books - don't know why.

Something about that hand doesn't look "addams" maybe just has extra detail we don't normally see due to scale.

manticore

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 20, 2018, 01:19:19 AM
Something about that hand doesn't look "addams" maybe just has extra detail we don't normally see due to scale.

It looks a bit clean to me, for want of a better word. The whole cartoon looks as if it's been airbrushed somehow.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: manticore on November 19, 2018, 11:09:24 PM
From the web again - not sure what's happening here. What is the man's job? (letters on his back must be a clue).

a pest controller at a guess but i could be wrong especially as the Addams Family would surely welcome pests. did you see the pair of eyes lurking in the cellar ?

Dex Sawash

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: manticore on November 19, 2018, 11:09:24 PM

Maybe some text has been cut off? Morticia looks like she's speaking.

Icehaven

I don't think he's pest control, he hasn't got any equipment other than a clipboard. Market research perhaps? 
Edit; Although it could be pest control and the joke is that the Addams family wouldn't call them for the usual rats or insects but for some monster in the basement.

FredNurke

Meter reader would be my guess.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 20, 2018, 04:38:47 AM

Maybe?

Just to let you know, your image is coming out blank; ripping the URL out of your post and trying it directly results in a page announcing that the website's firewall has blocked me on the grounds that "Access from your Country was disabled by the administrator."

So you may want to rehost it if possible. :-)

Icehaven

Quote from: FredNurke on November 20, 2018, 10:50:36 AM
Meter reader would be my guess.

Good thought, or telephone repairs (might say ''Telco'' on his jacket)

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 20, 2018, 11:17:06 AM
Just to let you know, your image is coming out blank; ripping the URL out of your post and trying it directly results in a page announcing that the website's firewall has blocked me on the grounds that "Access from your Country was disabled by the administrator."

So you may want to rehost it if possible. :-)

Was image of Walco Pest Control logo, since 1936  or something in NY/NJ
There is also a Wilco rat poison company.

Ambient Sheep

Oh cool, that's helpful, thanks.

manticore

My Canadian friend says she thinks he's a meter reader as meters are often in basements in N. America, but pest control maybe makes more sense of the joke.

Confession: I hadn't noticed the eyes staring up from the dark!

manticore

Nope, changed my mind  - going with Icehaven - the jacket says TELCO. He's from the telephone company.

Yup definitely for certain no room for doubt my mind is at rest.

um