Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:58:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most unconvincing Location doubling

Started by George White, April 16, 2017, 11:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

An obvious one is Glasgow doubling for Edinburgh in Trainspotting. Although to be fair its probably more obvious if you've ever spent much time living in either city.

Another one I can think of off the top of my head would be the battle of Stirling Bridge in the movie Braveheart. They shot it in a field in Ireland and even didn't bother including a bridge. 

Quote from: neveragain on April 16, 2017, 06:43:29 PM
Cloud Atlas was filmed all over the place (Spain, Germany etc.) but they still decided to use Glasgow for LA in some unconvincing Luisa Rey street scenes.

They also used the Kincardine bridge over the river Forth to double for another famous bridge outside San Fransisco, although to be fair at least they hid it behind a lot of CGI.

Glasgow now gets used to double for a few US cities, most notably for New York in World War Z. Though again they gave it a big CGI make over so you wouldn't necessarily know it.

biggytitbo

If they need loads of choice to disguise it why Glasgow at all?

mobias

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 08, 2017, 08:00:26 AM
If they need loads of choice to disguise it why Glasgow at all?

Part of it is UK wide tax breaks to US movie productions to entice them over here. Ireland used to have them, hence why Braveheart and many other films in 90's were shot over there. The major US cities charge a fortune to close entire streets down for movie shoots. Its also why so many films use Vancouver as a stand in for US cities.

One good thing you've got to hand it to the SNP government in Holyrood over is that they've been proactive in investing and supporting the infrastructure needed to entice movie studios to film in Scotland. 

Bhazor

Austin Powers: "You know what's remarkable? That England looks in no way like Southern California."

George Oscar Bluth II

I do think Glasgow is actually quite a convincing New York double. It has a grid system in the centre, brownstone-type buildings all over the place. There's far, far worse out there.

studpuppet

I grew up slap bang in the centre of 'Avengerland' the area of Herts, Bucks and Berks where the locations were found for all those sixties TV shows you know and love, that were filmed at either Elstree Studios or the MGM lot over the road in Borehamwood.

Consequently this is one of my favourite sites on the internet and there are some great instances of locations being used to represent sunnier climes in other countries:

http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/intro.htm

Sebastian Cobb

Peaky Blinders? Peaky Toxteth more like!

Isnt Anything

Quote from: studpuppet on December 08, 2017, 08:01:38 PM
I grew up slap bang in the centre of 'Avengerland' the area of Herts, Bucks and Berks where the locations were found for all those sixties TV shows you know and love, that were filmed at either Elstree Studios or the MGM lot over the road in Borehamwood.

Consequently this is one of my favourite sites on the internet and there are some great instances of locations being used to represent sunnier climes in other countries:

http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/intro.htm

this is great

ive recently moved to this area and been wondering why so many of the nearby country roads, stately home entrances and sinister office blocks looked vaguely familiar !

thank you

Dyl Spinks

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on December 08, 2017, 06:55:07 PM
I do think Glasgow is actually quite a convincing New York double. It has a grid system in the centre, brownstone-type buildings all over the place. There's far, far worse out there.

I think Glasgow's supposed to be Philadelphia in World War Z.

There was a film made about Glasgow gangster Paul Ferris (it's terrible); Strathclyde Police refused permission to film in the city, so London (I think?) was used instead. Absolutely ridiculous. Not a single shot of Glasgow featured if memory serves.

studpuppet

Quote from: Isnt Anything on December 09, 2017, 01:42:14 AM
this is great

It is, isn't it? I've just been through a boxset of Department S on Blueray and also The New Avengers, with this website open beside me. The Unidentified Location Spotting page is a obviously a labour of love and a thing of beauty (over 100 pages of images!): http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/spotting/index.htm

Isnt Anything

Haha just looked on the first page and already think i know two of them but will have to check.

If thats the graveyard i think it is its just round the corner!! I cut through it on foot on my way into town when im not being lazy and taking the car. Will check it sometime.

And i reckon i know where the two yellow bus shots from Killer were taken but will have to check those too.

Theyre probably not though probably just my overactive imagination.

studpuppet

Quote from: Isnt Anything on December 09, 2017, 06:17:48 PM
Haha just looked on the first page and already think i know two of them but will have to check.

Yeah - I thought that too when I started looking. I've lived in the area all my life, and grew up next door to a location that was used for Jennie, Beauty & The Beast (not THAT one), and The Tennis Court (a Hammer House Of Mystery & Suspense episode). The only thing I ever identified was 'Budgie's Cafe' - an old transport cafe on the old A1 that was also used in an episode of Return Of The Saint.

I still keep looking every so often though...

George White

Similarly, I grew up in Bray, home of Ardmore Studios. the Irish equivalent. The Powerscourt Arms, a local hotel turns up in a Christopher Lee Fu Manchu, for example. ITC TV movie The Hard Way was shot around my local train station, as was the truly dreadful Barbara Cartland TVM The Flame is Love.
Also, things like Zardoz, the Commitments (my grandad worked on most of these films as an animal arranger - here he turns up in the first frame!), Excalibur, Exorcist 2's unconvincing models, the Last Remake of Beau Geste, Frank (Dohmnall Gleeson stands outside the local tandoori before it went upmarket).

An Irish-American TV movie from 1979, directed and produced by Michael "producer of Dan" O'Herlihy (the same era he put together Cry of the Innocent), based on a Barbara Cartland, with some of the dodgiest and anachronistic doubling, my hometown, Bray doubling for Le Havre, its mountains visible, aerials, yellow lines on roads, and even a radiator glimpsed behind a transparent curtain in an interior. Dublin's Clare Street and Leeson Street double as NYC.
The thing rotates around a love triangle between Shane Briant, Timothy Dalton and Linda Purl, turns out Dalton leads a Satanist cult, and is ultimately slooowwwly crushed by his own goat statue,  as his acolytes gather to sacrifice Purl including can-can dancing Maureen Toal, ex-wife of Milo O'Shea and known by Irish viewers like me as pub landlady Teasy McDaid in Glenroe. Also featuring Joan Greenwood, narration by Richard Johnson and QVC/The Treasure of Abbot Thomas' Paul Lavers.

studpuppet

Quote from: George White on December 09, 2017, 10:43:25 PM
Similarly, I grew up in Bray, home of Ardmore Studios. the Irish equivalent.

I wonder if film companies ever confused it with Bray Studios, the home of Hammer!

Isnt Anything

Haha during his post I was just thinking 'I didnt know Hammer made films in Ireland'. Whoops!

Glebe

Quote from: studpuppet on December 10, 2017, 12:39:45 AMI wonder if film companies ever confused it with Bray Studios, the home of Hammer!

Haha, yeah, remember first copping that at the end of some Hammer production and thinking it meant our Bray!

George White

Quote from: Glebe on December 10, 2017, 03:49:31 AM
Haha, yeah, remember first copping that at the end of some Hammer production and thinking it meant our Bray!
Ironically, Hammer's Sword of Sherwood Forest and Viking Queen were shot at our Bray, at Ardmore, and the Brides of Fu Manchu was shot in Hammer-Bray AND Our-Bray.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on December 10, 2017, 10:27:59 AM
Ironically, Hammer's Sword of Sherwood Forest and Viking Queen were shot at our Bray, at Ardmore, and the Brides of Fu Manchu was shot in Hammer-Bray AND Our-Bray.

GASP!

Gulftastic

My old street in a fairly shit bit of Leeds doubled for a street in a much shitter part of Leeds in 'Mischief Night'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481581/

All the residents had to sign a release.

George White

Quote from: Glebe on December 10, 2017, 04:08:29 PM
GASP!
It's weird. Face of Fu Manchu was shot in Ardmore and in Wicklow and Skerries, and Grand Canal IIRC, because of Harry Towers' tax status. For some reason, Brides was shot in Bray, Berkshire, just as Hammer vacated to Elstree, but uses leftover footage from Face shot here. Then, for Vengeance of Fu Manchu, he goes back to Ireland, shooting in Ardmore for some interiors, plus Enniskerry and Dublin, while the rest of the film is Hong Kong.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on December 11, 2017, 09:17:24 AMIt's weird. Face of Fu Manchu was shot in Ardmore and in Wicklow and Skerries, and Grand Canal IIRC, because of Harry Towers' tax status. For some reason, Brides was shot in Bray, Berkshire, just as Hammer vacated to Elstree, but uses leftover footage from Face shot here. Then, for Vengeance of Fu Manchu, he goes back to Ireland, shooting in Ardmore for some interiors, plus Enniskerry and Dublin, while the rest of the film is Hong Kong.

Actually, now I remember Christopher Lee talking about filming one the Fu Manchus near Kilmainham in his autobiography. Tells an anecdote about a couple of blokes in a local pub suggesting that he had (Romany) gypsy blood in him*.

*Not from drinking it, though, boom boom.

George White

Yes, I'm pretty sure my grandad is yellowed up as a chicken herder in that scene.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on December 12, 2017, 09:15:00 AMYes, I'm pretty sure my grandad is yellowed up as a chicken herder in that scene.

Cripes!

George White

"Weymouth Abbey"and "South Burnley", both in London in the very Canadian-looking Designated Survivor.

"Leeds", with lemonade stands and RP in the Blacklist.
The actually South African but New York looking Manchester inThe Looming Tower (a la the Baltimore-shot bits in Body of Lies)

maett

During my mid teens Vietnam War phase I happened across Lindsay Shonteff's How Sleep the Brave it became a favorite of mine. IMDb synopsis  'A squad of young fresh American soldiers are sent to Vietnam. Immediately upon their arrival, they are sent on a very hazardous mission into the jungle.'
The tropical Vietnamese jungle was supplied  by Black Park in Buckinghamshire, convincing it weren't.
https://youtu.be/Vsya55Pzweo?t=179

George White

I think it also turns up as 'Nam in parts of the miniseries Lace.
One of the GIs is Herbert Norville, who also played a GI in Full Metal Jacket, but probably better known here as the "I'm sixteen, I can join the army, air force and the Navy, but I can't drink in pubs" young adult alongside Gerard Kelly  in Nozin' 'Aroun.

kngen

Quote from: Dyl Spinks on December 09, 2017, 11:04:28 AM
I think Glasgow's supposed to be Philadelphia in World War Z.

Yep, seeing people fleeing from zombies across George Square really took me out of the film. That and the fact it was compete fucking shite.

Philadephia's Rittenhouse Square does have quite a 'West End of Glasgow' feel about it, though - right down to the eye-watering amounts they charge for sundry items like a cup of tea or a packet of organic kettle chips.

Isnt Anything

Was half-watching some crappy ufo documentary on one of the history channels the other day and they mentioned an incident in 'Somerset, England'. I looked up to see reconstruction footage of a cinder-block cabin set in a bleak moorland that if it was anywhere in the UK would have been the far north of Scotland !

Neomod

I've not seen any of the movies (they look bobbins) but Lambeth bridge doubled for Moscow in The Fast and the Furious 6 with the addition of some ropey cgi.

kalowski

Quote from: Trojan_Jockey on April 16, 2017, 11:34:34 PM
Yes, the result of Stanley Kubrick's fear of flying. I immediately thought of "Full Metal Jacket" when I saw the thread title. Because there was no way that Stanley was flying out to the far-east, they used the Norfolk broads to double for Vietnam, which to be fair didn't look too bad. They then used somewhere in the Docklands to stand in for urban Vietnam. The strategic placement of half a dozen palm trees didn't really convince and all the way through I was thinking that it looked more like Barnsley than Vietnam. To be fair, some people say you don't even need the second half of the movie anyway.
Glad someone mentioned it. The second half (aka the shit half) of Full Metal Jacket is so clearly not Vietnam I spent most of the time waiting for a red bus to roll by in the background.