Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Most unconvincing Location doubling

Started by George White, April 16, 2017, 11:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasta-spouse

Right at the beginning of Now You See Me 2 Jesse Eisenberg goes into a NY riverside building but it's very recognisably the entrance to the Greenwich Tunnel by the Thames.

Keebleman

Quote from: kalowski on October 25, 2018, 09:59:28 PM
Glad someone mentioned it. The second half (aka the shit half) of Full Metal Jacket is so clearly not Vietnam I spent most of the time waiting for a red bus to roll by in the background.

I disagree, I think the design and set dressing is really good.   But a Kubrick movie that fails utterly to disguise its true location is Lolita.  England looks nothing like New England.

George White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjW3YQW9frM A ridiculous attempt to recreate West Yorkshire in this true-life UFO special, a little green mini with a US looking insignia and "police" driving around the more rural parts of the US. An "interesting" attempt at Northern. Wobbly camera to disguise that this isn't Yorkshire.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on April 16, 2017, 07:40:59 PM
How about the Trotters on a 'Spanish' beach?[nb]Apparently they had intended to film over there, but ran out of cash and had to settle for Dorset.[/nb]

That reminds me of the episode 'Better Than Life' from Red Dwarf.  The script called for a 'beach in paradise' but the budget meant that they had to resort to shooting in Rhyl.

George White

Set in Liverpool - the Robert Wagner sub-ITC adventure It Takes A Thief https://youtu.be/AZseB1kfBMo?t=1244

idunnosomename

That BBC War of the Worlds guff needs to get in here for using shots of William Brown Street and St George's Hall in Liverpool as London when anyone who has been to Liverpool just goes "hey, that's Liverpool"

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Chriddof on April 17, 2017, 01:44:56 AM
I had a weird feeling you were talking about "After Last Season" before I clicked the link! An absolutely bewildering thing that one day I'm going to have to track down a DVD of.
If you still haven't found this DVD since 2017, I can do you a copy (originals go for over $100 on eBay).

Road House was allegedly set in Jasper, Missouri. Missouri is flat as a pancake, and in at least one scene you can see mountains in the background. Admittedly, this is one of those "it helps if you live there" ones.

gib

Quote from: George White on March 24, 2019, 05:36:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjW3YQW9frM A ridiculous attempt to recreate West Yorkshire in this true-life UFO special, a little green mini with a US looking insignia and "police" driving around the more rural parts of the US. An "interesting" attempt at Northern. Wobbly camera to disguise that this isn't Yorkshire.

I randomly jumped in at 17:50 and owe you a lol.

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 24, 2019, 06:02:11 PM
That reminds me of the episode 'Better Than Life' from Red Dwarf.  The script called for a 'beach in paradise' but the budget meant that they had to resort to shooting in Rhyl.

You could claim it worked as a bit of a preview of what was to come, showing that it was Rimmer's mind creating a mundane location from some childhood holiday rather than Listers creating Fiji.

SteK

Many Soviet style show use Bolton's Le Mans Crescent as KGB buildings, notable 'Sleepers' with Warren 'Been Living off Lard Butties' Clarke...

George White

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 20, 2019, 10:10:54 PM
That BBC War of the Worlds guff needs to get in here for using shots of William Brown Street and St George's Hall in Liverpool as London when anyone who has been to Liverpool just goes "hey, that's Liverpool"
There's some shots where it looks more like Dublin, around Dame Street and Trinity, than London, the former of which doubled for Liverpool in Educating Rita.

Jockice

Four Lions is mainly set in Sheffield but I'm sure there's a scene supposedly set in London which has a sign with 'Sheffield' written on it. It's been a few years since I've seen it though, so I can't be more specific.

George White

Josh Rengel's 2005 Lebanese war short starring Agents of SHIELD's Charles Fathy (now producer of Cesar Benitez's Spanish tv show toy Boy, also in Killer Kid 1994) transforms California into Beirut pretty well https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1366355/

He was also in Kept Boy with Director: George Bamber
Writers: Robert Rodi (based on a novel by), David Ozanich
Stars: Jon Paul Phillips, Thure Riefenstein, Greg Audino
Thure Riefenstein, ther's a name for the American names thread.
#But he's German, though he was in Leverage.

Just watched Gaby, with Leslie Caron,  asurprisingly well-done recreation of blitz-era London.

ElTwopo

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 20, 2019, 10:10:54 PM

Yeah but it fooled the Martians though didn't it?

studpuppet

Superman IV has some crackers thanks to budget cuts after III:

Subway station (Aldwych tube)

The United Nations Building (Wembley Conference Centre)

Metropolis (Milton Keynes Plaza)

A Metropolis Freeway (the M25 between jcts 21 and 22)

greenman

The X-files I think you could argue Vancouver and the forrests around it ended up summing up a lot of the shows tone to the degree when it actually shifting to filming in the US in the 6th season it didnt quite feel like the same show.

MojoJojo

Quote from: kalowski on October 25, 2018, 09:59:28 PM
Glad someone mentioned it. The second half (aka the shit half) of Full Metal Jacket is so clearly not Vietnam I spent most of the time waiting for a red bus to roll by in the background.

If you pay attention in the first half you'll notice the road markings are all UK based (for driving on the left) too. And google tells me that the helicopters were British ones, although you'd probably have to be a bit of a nerd to notice that.

Mr Trumpet

Guy Ritchie's Man From Uncle remake had a bit set in 60s East Berlin that was actually filmed at the bottom of my road, at Loughborough Junction. It still just looks like South London to me: https://boroughphotos.org/lambeth/man-from-uncle-film-set-padfield-road-loughborough-junction/

Mr Trumpet

Also I remember taking my sister to see the crap The Dark is Rising film a few years ago. It's set in rural England but very clearly filmed in Romania or somewhere. I think there's even an onion-domed church visible at one point.

RFT

Ron Howard's Motorsports film Rush has quite a lot of this. For budget reasons, he went with tracks all in the UK that could be re-dressed instead of filming at the original tracks and trying to CGI-backdate them the 70s. If you're not a motorsports nerd then it's probably invisible but if you are, it really can take you out of it when you're supposed to be at monza and it
's a sequence at brands hatch.

Noodle Lizard

I recently tried watching that Amazon series Patriot and was aghast at some of the location doubling in that. At the beginning of the pilot, he's supposedly in Amsterdam but it looks like one of the less desirable parts of the Eastern Bloc. Then there's all this stuff in Luxembourg, which I've never been to but am still absolutely positive looks nothing like that. I understand it may be cost-prohibitive to film in some more prestigious locations, but it comes off more like the producers think all of "Europe" is just interchangeable. Not sure they'd appreciate it if someone carelessly tried to substitute Louisville for Manhattan, but that's pretty much what they've done here.

Also modern-day Woody Allen's vision of every city is very unconvincing, even though they were actually filmed there.

timebug

I dunno if it has been mentioned, but an episode of Citizen Smith had Wolfie and Kenny travelling to Spain to find Wolfies GF who had run away there. The scenes were filmed at Portmeirion, as anyone who has been there/ or is a 'Prisoner' Fan could tell you!

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: timebug on May 02, 2021, 09:14:22 AM
I dunno if it has been mentioned, but an episode of Citizen Smith had Wolfie and Kenny travelling to Spain to find Wolfies GF who had run away there. The scenes were filmed at Portmeirion, as anyone who has been there/ or is a 'Prisoner' Fan could tell you!

Portmerion doubled for 15th century Italy in Doctor Who around the same time. Probably anywhere exotic looking passsed for "foreign" in the 70s.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 01, 2021, 11:40:16 PM
I recently tried watching that Amazon series Patriot and was aghast at some of the location doubling in that. At the beginning of the pilot, he's supposedly in Amsterdam but it looks like one of the less desirable parts of the Eastern Bloc. Then there's all this stuff in Luxembourg, which I've never been to but am still absolutely positive looks nothing like that. I understand it may be cost-prohibitive to film in some more prestigious locations, but it comes off more like the producers think all of "Europe" is just interchangeable. Not sure they'd appreciate it if someone carelessly tried to substitute Louisville for Manhattan, but that's pretty much what they've done here.

Also modern-day Woody Allen's vision of every city is very unconvincing, even though they were actually filmed there.

It's Prague. It's all Prague. Everything is Prague. Falcon and Winter Soldier were in Latvia for some of it... nope, Prague.

There's a reason everywhere in Europe seems to look like Prague, and it's because IT'S ALL FUCKING PRAGUE!

I live here, drives you nuts.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: brat-sampson on May 02, 2021, 05:41:02 PM
It's Prague. It's all Prague. Everything is Prague. Falcon and Winter Soldier were in Latvia for some of it... nope, Prague.

There's a reason everywhere in Europe seems to look like Prague, and it's because IT'S ALL FUCKING PRAGUE!

I live here, drives you nuts.
Budapest is another very common one, particularly for action movies, and especially doubling as Berlin, Vienna, Moscow.

George White

US TV version of Pride and Prejudice with the notorious Joey Branning off Eastenders, shot in South Carolina. https://ok.ru/video/2700077566547