Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:55:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I play guitar because I like it, not because I'm good at it.

Started by Sydward Lartle, April 17, 2017, 11:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qki

I have an AC15C1x too. Originally I wanted an AC30 but I got a good deal on the 15. A good thing too, because if I had the 30 my neighbours would undoubtedly have murdered me by now. Anyway, the 15 is a brilliant amp and I love it dearly. I also have an Orange Micro Dark Terror which is tiny but filthy and very, very loud.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Haha yeah, sod getting an AC30 while I still live in a terraced house it's bad enough keeping the AC15 at bedroom levels. Brilliant amp though.

Spiteface

Bumping this.

Quote from: Spiteface on April 19, 2017, 08:24:41 PM
When they arrive, I will. Been taking months so far. The guy who makes them is actually a postman, and he's been having problems with parts and such, he tells me. This is the kind of thing you tend to run into with some "boutique" makers. He's not taking new orders at the moment, though:

http://www.shedpickups.com/

Fucker's disappeared. Never did get my pickups and he took my money (I'm not the only one either). So Looking at Bare Knuckle instead. Asked around on the forums a few times and based on suggestions I narrowed it down to three sets, the VHII, Emerald and Rebel Yell sets. Thinking I may settle on the Emeralds, being a "Vintage Hot" set. Want more power than PAFs (although the Riff Raffs I got for my Epiphone Dot are lovely), but last thing I want is a "Metal" pickup, although the Rebel Yells are really versatile, and all three seem like they can do the things I want.

Trying to decide if I want covers and if I do... gold or Black?

Funcrusher

Spiteface

When he doesn't lose it at all of us for some reason, he can actually be good to engage with on here.

Anyway, bought some Bare Knuckles yesterday, decided on the Emerald set, black covers, gold screws. I may try the VHIIs or Rebel Yells at a later date, in an old Epiphone I've had since 2001. If I like those better, I'll fork out for ANOTHER set for the Edwards.

Flouncer

I've done some fucking about with this Danelectro I got last year. For some reason the output of the bridge pickup was really weak, so I decided to swap it for a mini-humbucker I took out of a knackered Epiphone Firebird I had when I was a kid. I installed it on Christmas day when I was pissed up on gin, but I actually did a decent job of it! It was a bit nerve wracking, mutilating my new guitar with a dremel and a hand drill, but I'm really happy with the results. When I wired it up I think I got the wires the wrong way round or something, because when both pickups are engaged at the same time it has a weird quacky sound a bit like a half open wah pedal (I suspect I wired it out of phase but I'm not sure about these things). It sounds really good to me and I use this setting a lot in my new band. I would like to install a switch to be able to select it though, and I want to have a coil tap switch as well. I also have a mad idea about installing an onboard repeat percussion effect - there is loads of room inside the body for mounting it. These are great guitars for modding.

Dr Syntax Head

re Danelectro post above (that is a nice guitar btw) tell me you've tried to play Black Mountain Side on it

Flouncer

I had Syd Barrett in mind when I bought it - I enjoyed blasting out the opening riff from Interstellar Overdrive! My friend came round last week though; he put it in an open tuning and played some Zeppelin on it.

bgmnts

I have had a guitar since i was 18 that i have attempted to play about 4 or 5 times. Quite sad really.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: bgmnts on April 16, 2018, 01:19:52 PM
I have had a guitar since i was 18 that i have attempted to play about 4 or 5 times. Quite sad really.

There really is nothing sad about that. Given my undying and unconditional love of the guitar (it cost me 2 marriages, now that's sad) I'd say trying to play a few times is better than never having played at all.

Spiteface

Quote from: Spiteface on April 15, 2018, 01:03:56 PM
When he doesn't lose it at all of us for some reason, he can actually be good to engage with on here.

Anyway, bought some Bare Knuckles yesterday, decided on the Emerald set, black covers, gold screws. I may try the VHIIs or Rebel Yells at a later date, in an old Epiphone I've had since 2001. If I like those better, I'll fork out for ANOTHER set for the Edwards.

I got my Emeralds last week and got the guitar back from the shop on Saturday with them installed and the guitar getting a bit of a setup.
Plan is, later on, to get some Rebel Yells for my Epiphone, but I'm not bothering with changing in the Edwards again, unless they're THAT much better than these.

I like the black covers as they're not as flashy as gold covers might have been (although aged gold would have worked I suppose), I think gold covers might have been a bit much for me these days. Anyway, I loved this guitar before and I love it even more now. The Emeralds are an awesome set of humbuckers. Essentially a PAF set on steroids, meaning more power than a traditional vintage set (outputs are 12k in the bridge and 9k in the neck), but not some ridiculous "Metal" pickup. I did see some people comment on how bright they are, almost as a warning, but it doesn't get shrill or icepick-y. There's still a nice weight to everything, the bright character just lends it the right amount of attack. The guitar tech guy who put them in commented "it sounds like a Les Paul now", and in comparison to what I had in it before, I'm inclined to agree now.

Ferris

I've had so many lovely guitars that to sell to pay bills when I was broke, it makes me sad to think back... :(

Currently have an Epiphone ES-335 (made in 2000 in the Korean factory before they packed it off to China), and a crappy Epiphone acoustic.

The Fender Telecaster custom I made from spare parts when I was 15* is still in my parents attic (the only one I didn't sell when completely broke) and I have no way to ship it to Canada. Anyone with any ideas, let me know.

*Thanks to eBay, you could grab a decent bargain at the time, and I built this from pieces when saving up as a teenager because I wanted one and couldn't afford to pay the full whack in one go.

'72 loaded tele custom body, neck pickup is a Fender wide range from a Tele Thinline reissue, bridge pickup is a Gibson "zebra" open coil one from a mid '70s (?) Gibson Marauder, neck is off a '60s tele reissue. Body was originally black, I sanded off the front and back sides (but left the edges black), then painted it duck egg blue, then got tired of that and sprayed the body white (about the same time I got the "zebra" Gibson pickup in the bridge to match the black and white. I was playing in a shit punk band so I smashed the shit out of it on drums/symbols/stages and it has a lot of dings. Worst one is covered in tape. Paint worn off on the back.

Looks lovely. I miss it :(