Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:28:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Five Go Mad in Dorset rip-off act on Saturday Superstore?

Started by Sydward Lartle, April 18, 2017, 10:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sydward Lartle

Since Swap Shop and children's comedy programmes in general have come up during discussions here recently, does anyone remember a comedy troupe who turned up on one of the BBC's Saturday morning programmes (possibly Saturday Superstore, it was definitely presented by Sarah Greene) doing virtually a complete crib of the Comic Strip Presents' Five Go Mad in Dorset? I can't remember much else about them, other than a sense of utter incomprehension that they hadn't had their arses sued off by Edmondson, Richardson, French and Saunders, and when they sat down after the sketch (which didn't go down to well with the juvenile studio audience, and included the phrase 'you stupid cow' as well as the expected 'lashings of ginger beer' and 'gosh, yes' Enid Blyton-isms) to discuss their work, one of the members of the troupe had the annoying habit of sticking his hand into shot whilst one of the others was talking, doing a 'turning the handle' mime. To be fair, even Sarah Greene called them out on their obvious comedy plagiarism, albeit in the nicest possible way, saying 'that was very reminiscent of Five Go Mad in Dorset, wasn't it?' or similar. I'm not sure if they confirmed or denied it, but they definitely seemed a bit uncomfortable.

So, can anyone remember this, or better still, does anyone know if that particular comedy group (or members thereof) went on to anything successful or noteworthy? Or was that their brief, inglorious moment in the limelight? Answers please.