Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:09:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Scarred For Life, Volume One: The 1970s'

Started by Serge, April 20, 2017, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarred

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 20, 2018, 02:36:15 PM

I did get a bit thrown, starting from the intro (by a fellow called Johnny Mains) which mentioned how unions were one of the main problems of the decade, etc. I could have perhaps understood (although I'd have disagreed) if the book itself had been written in the 1970s, but looking back on the wasteland that Thatcher and her spiritual children have left us, I find that a strange opinion to hold in 2017. Unless the authors are both Tories, of course. Perhaps I'm more keyed up to notice it, being a leftie, but there were a decent number of times where, when the woes of the 1970s were listed throughout the book, "unions" came first.

Whatever your political beliefs when writing about the 1970s you have to acknowledge the disruption that the continued strike action had upon, for example, TV production. It was not within the scope of the book to discuss the in-depth political tensions in the 1970s nor the rights or wrongs of the various disputes. Nor does the book take any view on the future events involving Thatcher or interpret events of the 70s in light of later events. The book simply talks about the 1970s in the context of the times and I would hope that, politically, the book is generally neutral. If you can point me towards various quotes that you feel are particularly biased towards a "Tory" viewpoint then I can maybe address your concerns. In the parts I wrote I can think now of maybe two occasions where I discuss unions, one was in Late Night Stories with Tom Baker and the other was with Quatermass in 1979 which was one of the first big productions shown after ITV had been off air in my region for nearly three months. The book is not political, the book is not, in my view, politically biased. I'd be interested in your different views though

scarred

Quick heads up to anybody interested- we've done a video podcast which will appear on a Youtube channel called The Livo Lounge on the 26th October.