Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:46:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Scarred For Life, Volume One: The 1970s'

Started by Serge, April 20, 2017, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 25, 2017, 05:04:16 PM
Ian McCulloch apparently got his roles in Zombie Flesh Eaters, Zombie Holocaust and Contamination because the BBC series Survivors was a big hit when it was shown in Italy.

That figures. I did wonder how he got those gigs.

scarred

Hi, I've just stumbled across this site. I'm one of the writers of this book (Dave) and I'm glad you're enjoying it. Apologies for various spelling mistakes etc, we didn't have the time or resources to have it fully proofread. Hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment too much.

I've had someone order this for me for a belated birthday present solely on the basis of this thread.

scarred

Quote from: chippedandbattered on April 27, 2017, 08:38:42 PM
I've had someone order this for me for a belated birthday present solely on the basis of this thread.

Thanks, hope you enjoy it! :)

holyzombiejesus

I think the least you could do is send Serge a free copy of the next issue and get him to proof read it for you. He hasn't got many books and would know all about proofreading because he works in Waterstones.

scarred

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 27, 2017, 08:42:58 PM
I think the least you could do is send Serge a free copy of the next issue and get him to proof read it for you. He hasn't got many books and would know all about proofreading because he works in Waterstones.

Maybe!

Sydward Lartle

Welcome to the forum Dave, I've hardly put Scarred for Life down since my copy arrived in the post, it's a genuine treasure trove.

Miscellaneous stuff that used to scare me when I was a kid (I was born in 1974 BTW)...

The 'Grog' from Vision On.

MAKE IT GO AWAY SOMEBODY!

The Hammer House of Horror episodes the House That Bled To Death and the Silent Scream.

Barbapapa. God knows why. I just hated it

The Banana Splits. I used to lie awake at night sweating with fear that either Bingo or Snork would burst into my room and 'get' me. God only knows how I would have reacted to Animal Kwackers, especially the blue rasta lion thing who looked as though he had a rare form of head cancer.

The Open University logo and musical sting. Even when Spike Milligan did an OU parody where his face appeared in the circular opening of the shield in Q6.

Alpha Video's ident. Especially that synthed-out bit of music. Oddly enough, I thought this ident was scarier than some of the films that followed it - which included Shivers, Rabid, the Exterminator and Dawn of the Dead.

These bastards...

Operty1

Quote from: scarred on April 27, 2017, 08:40:10 PM
Thanks, hope you enjoy it! :)

Are there more volumes on the way? Is there any further reading/YouTube videos you recommend that didn't make it in?

Ps welcome to the forum, am loving your book!

Serge

Quote from: scarred on April 27, 2017, 08:30:54 PM
Hi, I've just stumbled across this site. I'm one of the writers of this book (Dave) and I'm glad you're enjoying it. Apologies for various spelling mistakes etc, we didn't have the time or resources to have it fully proofread. Hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment too much.

No worries at all, it certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment. As I say, it annoys me that bigger publishers who employ people specifically to deal with this sort of thing still manage to have books filled with errors!

scarred

Quote from: Operty1 on April 27, 2017, 09:18:33 PM
Are there more volumes on the way? Is there any further reading/YouTube videos you recommend that didn't make it in?

Ps welcome to the forum, am loving your book!

Hi, yes, we're writing volume two on the 1980s so that'll be about the Cold War, the dole and AIDS. Plus the usual selection of frankly inappropriate TV shows. There were a few things that were cut, Raven was cut for time and my piece on a personal horror, Skippy the Bush Kangeroo, was cut for not being entirely on message!. As for further reading I suggest when you read the piece on Alternative Three you google it and read some of the conspiracy websites, they are amazing! I'm glad you're enjoying the book.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 21, 2017, 11:26:10 AM
Before reading this bit, I chuckled to myself at how sensitive could a child be to get scarred by the innocuous animated proto-Simpsons sit-com, Wait Till Your Father Gets Home until they point out that it must be the only cartoon title sequence to include a suggested TRIGGER WARNING
Spoiler alert
date rape
[close]
scenario.

And what daddy doesn't know can't hurt him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbsEYoKm9X8

Is it not just a suggestion of partying?

The US didn't do sinister kids stuff, apart from that short film of a kid on the subway with Darth Vader.

Operty1

Quote from: scarred on April 27, 2017, 09:30:04 PM
Hi, yes, we're writing volume two on the 1980s so that'll be about the Cold War, the dole and AIDS.

Excellent!

Sydward Lartle

I saw Zombie Flesh Eaters at my uncle's house when I was eight and it didn't shock / disturb / horrify me one bit. Yet the opening titles of the Rupert the Bear TV series had me rushing from the room in terror. One man's meat and so on.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 27, 2017, 09:34:30 PM
Yet the opening titles of the Rupert the Bear TV series had me rushing from the room in terror.

May as well have YOUR SOUL IS MINE scrawled over it

Sydward Lartle

The cold, dead, glassy gaze of a brainwashed serial killer.

Brundle-Fly

Scarred For Life, Volume Three: The 1990s' would be a pamphlet.

Ghostwatch, Rik Mayall's Out Of My Head PIF, that bloke french kissing the old woman on The Word.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 27, 2017, 09:43:06 PM

Ghostwatch, Rik Mayall's Out Of My Head PIF, that bloke french kissing the old woman on The Word.

Out Of My Head was a sell-through video wasn't it?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: kidsick5000 on April 27, 2017, 09:32:27 PM
Is it not just a suggestion of partying?

The US didn't do sinister kids stuff, apart from that short film of a kid on the subway with Darth Vader.

Well, of course, it was just partying. I think we must allow the writers some comic licence.

What was more frightening in those opening credits was the roof flying off its rafters because the father's temper was that volcanic.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 27, 2017, 09:46:23 PM
Out Of My Head was a sell-through video wasn't it?

Yeah, I picked it up from a charity shop in the late nineties. I was being a bit facetious. The least terrifying anti drugs pif ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id4Gv3kpoos

Sydward Lartle

Norton Canes

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 27, 2017, 09:34:30 PMYet the opening titles of the Rupert the Bear TV series had me rushing from the room in terror

TERROR

Operty1

Has anyone played this? The only arcade game to be permanently banned in the uk?

https://youtu.be/NAXDwuSRVpU

kidsick5000

Sydward Lartle

The use of the Funeral March in that freaky-looking arcade game reminds me of one of the very first arcade games I ever played, Boot Hill, in about 1979. Two cowboys shooting at each other, and every time you shot the villain, he'd turn into a gravestone with the caption HE GOT ME! and a bleepy version of the Funeral March would play. You get a quick glimpse of Boot Hill in Romero's Dawn of the Dead when they invade the arcade in the shopping mall.

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: kidsick5000 on April 27, 2017, 10:05:28 PM
Point well made. Did not clock the Buddy Hackett looking chap

He's more like a squat Sonny Bono, he used to wear those 'orrible deckchair trousers.

scarred

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 27, 2017, 09:43:06 PM

We're stopping at the end of the 80s with a little bit on Ghostwatch (even though it was in the early 90s) because we see that as the end of the Scarred era. The 70s book is us as children, the 80s book is us as teenagers being slightly more aware of the world around us but by the 90s we're grown up and not experiencing popular culture in quite the same way any more.

scarred

Quote from: Sydward Lartle on April 27, 2017, 08:58:50 PM
Welcome to the forum Dave, I've hardly put Scarred for Life down since my copy arrived in the post, it's a genuine treasure trove.

Thank you, that's fantastic to hear.

pigamus

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: scarred on April 27, 2017, 10:11:26 PM
We're stopping at the end of the 80s with a little bit on Ghostwatch (even though it was in the early 90s) because we see that as the end of the Scarred era. The 70s book is us as children, the 80s book is us as teenagers being slightly more aware of the world around us but by the 90s we're grown up and not experiencing popular culture in quite the same way any more.

Quite. I can't think of any suggested oddness in contemporaneous popular culture of the last twenty-five years that would particularly scar kids/ teens since the internet came along.

But Vol:1 is a triumph*, well done.

*Dolomite,obv