Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:53:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stuaaaaaaart Herrrritageeeee

Started by Konki, April 21, 2017, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konki

Quite apart from being a Poundland Charlie Brooker try-hard Mr Heritage has now declared Tom and Jerry racist: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/apr/21/tom-and-jerry-willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-ruin-movies

Up with this I will not put. Have a go at this cheap cash-in horseshit all you want, Stu. That's fair enough. But to denigrate the legacy of Tom and Jerry is a step too far. There were rare moments in Tom and Jerry which were 'of their time' but to extrapolate an inherent racism is lazy, cheap and wrong.

Heritage deserves to have a stick of dynamite stuffed into his mouth so it explodes and makes the top of his head rattle like a saucepan lid at boiling point.

I'm not sure why this has annoyed me so much. Perhaps it's the cheapness, perhaps it's the smugness, perhaps it's the sheer volume of worthless crap this bloke's been paid to write.

Anyway... Stuart Heritage: shit isn't he?

Barry Admin

Never heard of him before, but that article was absolutely appalling. He sounds like the sort of cunt who sits on twitter all day, amping up his "outrage" for retweets, and the article seems aimed at the exact same type of worthless cretins.

Edit: to be fair, I had a look and he just actually seems to post unfunny bullshit lolrandom tweets with no full stops at the end of them.

Blumf

Remind me again; why does anybody, anywhere, pay attention to newspaper columnists? Guardian or otherwise.

From the Richard Littlejohns and Julie Burchills of old, to today's pointless dreck. They were click-bait before click-bait existed, now they're just more tedious spam.

Twed

His name can only be said by Matt Berry.

Twit 2

A harmless cunt who pisses out vaguely considered articles from a voluminous, beige bladder.

Glebe

Well, faceless Gone With the Wind servant Mammy Two Shoes was a bit iffy, but not exactly strange for the time... I think she disappeared from later episodes.

The Duck Man

Being forced to think about it, I'd say he'd be better off doing fewer longer things, rather than cranking out for whatever short slot/series the Guardian want. It likely dilutes him somewhat, and there's only so much one can wring out of, for example, doing a different gym class each week. But then who am I to say a writer should work less, the money's hardly great.

I'd heartily recommend his Eurovision live blog, it's fantastic.

Konki

I'll have to take your word for that. Those 'different gym class every week' columns were fucking appalling though. I guess his stuff is just harmless dreck (except for the unforgivable Tom and Jerry stuff!) and it is my own fault for clicking on it. I reserve the right to moan about this sort of low-standard cheap piss from time to time though.

Is his stuff in the print edition too? It seems like online only, toss it off in five minutes pap.

touchingcloth

Tom & Jerry: Squirt In My Gape Vol. III

Konki

Wikipedia states lives in Kent: case closed.

MoonDust

I read on contrary that, by the standards of its time, Tom and Jerry was quite progressive. I read that the maid was actually voiced by a black lady, and she was paid for it, which in the 1940s was pretty nice of them considering other film and TV companies were pretty racist in their policies.

MoonDust

Okay just read the article and that has to be the laziest piece of shit I've read in a long time. Got particularly annoyed that he used the policies of a reactionary military dictatorship in Egypt as further evidence that Tom and Jerry isn't suitable for the modern world. What's he saying, Sisi is right when he says that cartoon caused the conflicts in the middle east?

pancreas

Stuart Heritage > Sam Wollaston. #justsaying

Twit 2

Quote from: pancreas on April 22, 2017, 10:56:43 AM
Stuart Heritage > Sam Wollaston. #justsaying

One of those paper bags curry houses put poppadums in but full of runny cat shit instead > Stuart Heritage > Sam Wollaston

touchingcloth

I'm glad to see that it's not just me who dislikes this Heritage twat. I can't remember what sparked it, but I've long regarded him as shit, and sometimes seek out his articles at the same time as I look for the Diary Of SamCam ones if I want to feel some righteous outrage.

He had an article once railing against people who talk count down to upcoming events in "sleeps," but that doesn't excuse the rest of his life.

MattD

Is the black woman from Tom & Jerry really considered racist? I've never seen anything remotely offensive in it.

Paul Calf

This thread title irritates the fuck out of me.

'He-ri-ta-geeeeeeeeeeeeeee'?

It makes no sense. Surely it'd be

'He-ri-taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage!'

MoonDust

The elongated silent 'e' represents the ensuing silence when his name is mentioned.

Or something.

Fuck knows. I'd never heard of him until this thread.

Dr Syntax Head

Brooker is the only columnist I've ever read. And only in his books because I don't buy newspapers[nb]I don't have a TV says Johnny[/nb]. I don't know who this Heritage guy is and that is justice my friends

MuteBanana

Quote from: MattD on April 22, 2017, 03:02:40 PM
Is the black woman from Tom & Jerry really considered racist? I've never seen anything remotely offensive in it.

Some people might think she's a maid/cleaner and so a reference to slavery. I think she owns Tom at least though. Her cat, her place. Possibly her mouse.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: MuteBanana on April 22, 2017, 03:48:54 PM
Some people might think she's a maid/cleaner and so a reference to slavery. I think she owns Tom at least though. Her cat, her place. Possibly her mouse.

Yeah she owns the place alright. Not racist at all. She's just a housewife getting the work done like in the olden times. Different now of course but people saying that is racist are just trying too hard and people like that need to chill the fuck out. It's a cartoon for kids.

She owns Tom but not Jerry. Jerry flies with his own map

MoonDust

Quote from: MuteBanana on April 22, 2017, 03:48:54 PM

Wikipedia also says that her voice is stereotypical, which might be construed as racist. But I also remember reading on Wikipedia a few years ago that her voice actor was actually black, so that was her voice. However I can't find any references to that now.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 22, 2017, 03:53:18 PM
Yeah she owns the place alright. Not racist at all. She's just a housewife getting the work done like in the olden times. Different now of course but people saying that is racist are just trying too hard and people like that need to chill the fuck out. It's a cartoon for kids.

She owns Tom but not Jerry. Jerry flies with his own map

She's only at home because the racists and sexists won't hire her.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: MuteBanana on April 22, 2017, 03:57:37 PM
She's only at home because the racists and sexists won't hire her.

I didn't think of that

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: MoonDust on April 22, 2017, 03:53:46 PM
Wikipedia also says that her voice is stereotypical, which might be construed as racist. But I also remember reading on Wikipedia a few years ago that her voice actor was actually black, so that was her voice. However I can't find any references to that now.

Hilarious isn't it? Cartoon character blamed for racism when the voice actor is black and that is her own fucking voice. My god we're at the end of days. How can that character be construed as racist? It was a pretty accurate representation of a stay at home woman in that environment at the time. This is all too tiring. My post is racist. Tom cat is racist. I have a black cat at home, racist. Same goes for the tortoiseshell cunt too, racist. And the grey one. And the dead bird on my kitchen floor. Racist.

Not having a go at you BTW Moondust I'm just exhausted by it all.

kngen

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 21, 2017, 11:42:12 PM
Never heard of him before, but that article was absolutely appalling. He sounds like the sort of cunt who sits on twitter all day, amping up his "outrage" for retweets, and the article seems aimed at the exact same type of worthless cretins.

Edit: to be fair, I had a look and he just actually seems to post unfunny bullshit lolrandom tweets with no full stops at the end of them.

A very mediocre writer, who attempts to be funny and fails. Started off rehashing AV Club and Hollywood Reporter stories a day late for the mostly execrable 'The Week in Geek' online column in the  Graun, then - through a quirk of circumstances, with people far more talented leaving after being passed over for promotion - ended up being kicked up the virtual stairs far beyond his abilities. A very nice bloke, by all accounts, but indicative of the woeful 'hang around long enough and you'll get your own picture byline' policy at the Guardian (and newspapers in general, to be fair).

Dex Sawash

Mammy is a housekeeper.
She has dominion over the cat allowed by Miss Lady[nb]I've made this up[/nb] the unseen housewife. Don't care what wiki says, not her cat.
T&J would have been one progressive motherfucker of a show if it was mammys housd

Konki

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 22, 2017, 03:10:36 PM
This thread title irritates the fuck out of me.

'He-ri-ta-geeeeeeeeeeeeeee'?

It makes no sense. Surely it'd be

'He-ri-taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage!'

Sorry, PPPPPPPPPPPPPPauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulll.

Black_Bart

QuoteT&J would have been one progressive motherfucker of a show if it was mammys housd

So, not on board with the theory that the house keeper is God?