Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:31:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Connecting a TV set with no headphone jack to an amp

Started by ASFTSN, April 22, 2017, 01:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

Help me figure this out lads?  Incredibly, it seems that the new LG TV we've got has no way to output audio to an amplifer if the input to the TV is coming from an HDMI cable, say from an Apple TV or a games console.

On the previous TV I was using a simple 3.5 jack to L/R speaker input to the AUX input on my amplifier. Worked like a dream.

On the back of the new TV there is 1 HDMI socket, an A/V 24pin scart socket, and an antenna input. 

We're either going to be running the PS4 or the Apple TV into the HDMI socket.  I've bought a 24 pin SCART-to-3.5 audio jack converter (like this), thinking I could just use that to output audio from the TV, plug in lead from AUX on the amp and continue.  Doesn't work.

I've also got  a 24 pin SCART to phono lead (like this) and that doesn't work either.  Made sure it was set to 'output' as well.

There's no optical out cable on the TV either.   

Just got off the phone to a customer service bloke at LG who after bumbling about a bit said there is simply 'no way to do this at all'.  He said this was because there was no way for the TV settings menu to simply turn off the TV set's internal speakers, and that if there was it would mean other audio output was picked up automatically.

So which of the following is true?

a)  Customer service bloke doesn't know what he's talking about
b)  I'm doing something wrong with my set up and have the wrong bit of converter kit.
c)  I've bought a proper shit TV.

Considering the general public are less and less likely to be using a standard TV antenna (hi [banned member]) this doesn't seem feasible to me, unless most people are happy with their shit flatscreen tv speakers.

ASFTSN

Presumably I'm looking at having to get an HDMI-to-phono output to get RCA audio directly from the PS4, and an optical out lead to get sound directly from the Apple TV, and switch between plugging them into the amp as needed?

Wilbur

Its seems pretty incredible if thats all the outputs it has. Not got any more hidden underneath or behind a flap ? Whats the model number ? If that's really all it has then I'd say "Yes you've bought a crap TV".

Twed

Does it support HDMI-ARC? (audio return channel)? I imagine you could hook it up to an HDMI audio extractor if so.

Cerys

Last time I did this it took a SCART-AV adaptor into the TV, and AV running from that into the amp.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Cerys on April 23, 2017, 01:13:48 PM
Last time I did this it took a SCART-AV adaptor into the TV, and AV running from that into the amp.

Cheers - I tried that but according to the guy on the phone it won't work because 'there is no way of making the TV recognise that as an alternative audio out unless you stop the TV's built in speakers - which there is no way to do'.

Fucker's going back to the shop now anyway...have to agree with some of the Amazon reviews that wonder if it's a monitor being sold on as a TV.

Cerys

momatt

That's unfortunate if there's no audio outputs.  But could you instead connect your speakers to your TV sources?  So connect the speakers directly to your games console and satellite boxes?

ASFTSN

Cheers Momatt - that was my other idea in the OP, but after faffing and considering spending extra money on converters + leads I just thought it would be better to return the bastard.

momatt

Fair enough.  Most source boxes for TVs I've seen have normal RCA-phono outputs though.

Such a weird problem to have!

touchingcloth

Quote from: momatt on April 24, 2017, 03:51:33 PM
Fair enough.  Most source boxes for TVs I've seen have normal RCA-phono outputs though.

Such a weird problem to have!

I'm in a similar situation. My telly has decent built in speakers, a headphone socket and an optical out, but it turns off the built in speakers if anything is attached to one of the audio outs, meaning I can't leave the auxiliary cable plugged in all the time and have the sound come out of the in-built speakers when watching something quiet, and just nudge the amp on if I want to watch something that would benefit from better sound quality. I know it doesn't sound like a problem, but it's amazing how much of a pain in the arse it is to have to grope around behind the telly to remove a fiddly little jack every time you want to connect the amp, so I almost never bother with it.