Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When did you become completely sick to fucking death of Richard Osman?

Started by yesitsme, April 24, 2017, 08:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

It's worth remembering he doesn't know all the stuff he spouts, that laptop is just a prop; he just reads out the script or whatever he gets fed over his earpiece.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Dead Soon on April 24, 2017, 10:41:32 PM
He also gets genuinely irritated whenever a Pointless contestant uses the ''it was a bit before my time'' as an excuse for not being able to answer something. I like that about him, he plays it off as a bit of banter with the ''that's a yellow card'' stuff to keep the contestant comfortable, but you can tell that it fucking rankles with him, as well it should, and he's having to suppress a genuinely angry telling off.

Have you ever wanked when this happened

Have you ever got it all out

And wanked

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: mothman on April 24, 2017, 11:24:51 PM
It's worth remembering he doesn't know all the stuff he spouts, that laptop is just a prop; he just reads out the script or whatever he gets fed over his earpiece.

And how

It takes an Oxbridge education to look that complacent.

I like him for being a slightly uncomfortable and unnatural performer.

up_the_hampipe

I didn't care for him at first, he was just a very tall man on a game show. But I gained respect for him after his HIGNFY appearance with Jeremy Clarkson. It was Clarkson's first TV appearance (or BBC appearance, dunno) since he was fired from Top Gear. Unsurprisingly, Hislop and Merton went easy on him because they don't care about being funny anymore. Fortunately, Osman picked up the slack and was a real dick to Clarkson throughout the show, needling him about his firing and the general shitness of Top Gear. It's what Clarkson deserved. I wish Osman had crushed him with his giant hands.

So in summary, even if he appears on every TV show being boring for the next 30 years, I'll always have a soft spot for him for bullying one of the biggest showbiz bullies.

You all know he produced lots of TV shows before stepping in front of the camera right? When pitching Pointless, BBC doyens thought he was so good in the demonstration, they wanted him to appear in the actual show.

It makes him a bit like a music-producer-turned-rapper now. It's up to you if you think he's a Kanye, a Timbaland or a P Diddy in terms of quality.

JoeyBananaduck

Seem to think he was responsible for blowing that The Banker was in fact that bloke who used to host The Mole following his behind-the-scenes stint on Noel Edmond's defunct sinister container-opening funfest DOND.

yesitsme

The competition for TV's Voice of Brains is pretty much a three horse race.  You've got yer Fry, yer Osman and yer Daracox.

I love them all especially when Daracox tells me that Jupiter is 'big'.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: yesitsme on April 25, 2017, 08:35:46 AM
The competition for TV's Voice of Brains is pretty much a three horse race.  You've got yer Fry, yer Osman and yer Daracox.

I love them all especially when Daracox tells me that Jupiter is 'big'.

Dara certainly knows his pub-trivia science, but I don't think he's particularly smart.

phes

I like the man, though Pointless is one of only two or three telly shows that I watch and I don't listen to UK radio, so i'm unaffected of his ubiquity.

He seems like a good egg. I'd rather he was my dad than any of yous cunts

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 25, 2017, 09:08:04 AM
Dara certainly knows his pub-trivia science, but I don't think he's particularly smart.

Well as I understand it, he got a degree in Mathematical Physics from University College Dublin...

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 25, 2017, 01:42:54 AMYou all know he produced lots of TV shows before stepping in front of the camera right? When pitching Pointless, BBC doyens thought he was so good in the demonstration, they wanted him to appear in the actual show.

Yup.  I just went to look them up on IMDb, only to be totally distracted by finding out that he was born in Billericay!!

I wonder if he had a love affair with Nina in the back of his Cortina?

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 25, 2017, 01:42:54 AM
You all know he produced lots of TV shows before stepping in front of the camera right? When pitching Pointless, BBC doyens thought he was so good in the demonstration, they wanted him to appear in the actual show.

It makes him a bit like a music-producer-turned-rapper now. It's up to you if you think he's a Kanye, a Timbaland or a P Diddy in terms of quality.

Amongst the shows he was responsible for was Space Cadets. Kind of fits, doesn't it?

Serge

Quote from: Dead Soon on April 24, 2017, 10:41:32 PM
He also gets genuinely irritated whenever a Pointless contestant uses the ''it was a bit before my time'' as an excuse for not being able to answer something. I like that about him, he plays it off as a bit of banter with the ''that's a yellow card'' stuff to keep the contestant comfortable, but you can tell that it fucking rankles with him, as well it should, and he's having to suppress a genuinely angry telling off.

Yes! Something else I like about him.

I was watching 'The Tipping Point' once, and a girl answered a question incorrectly, and it was passed to the older male contestant who got it right. She pouted, "Well, he had an advantage over me," to which Ben Shepard replied, "Yes. Knowledge." Which made him go up in my estimation.

Dead Soon

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on April 25, 2017, 07:48:17 AM
Seem to think he was responsible for blowing that The Banker was in fact that bloke who used to host The Mole following his behind-the-scenes stint on Noel Edmond's defunct sinister container-opening funfest DOND.

That was blown way, way, way back, in the show's earliest days. Ok, not 100% confirmation, but it was deduced pretty easily by the core fans.

Which reminds me, I was aware of Richard Osman before his TV fame as being one of the appearing names in the DOND credits. I was therefore bemused to see him appearing on Pointless - ''how come he decided to be on the TV instead?'' - so it makes complete sense that it was a happy accident.

machotrouts

Around the time of this tweet:

Fucking "witty". Twee Dave-ass cunt

mothman

Ah, come on machy, you'd sell a kidney to be able to come up with something like that...

amnesiac

Cuellar

He seems like the sort of guy that makes clever jokes and when no one laughs assumes people haven't got them, but in fact the jokes just aren't funny.

Does have a sinister side to him I think. David Schneider style bondage dungeons kinda kink.

He changed his football team allegiance in his mid 20's  - which was presumably as much careerist as it was location. Its a petty thing but it just seems so odd to me. Its in your youth when you gain all those weird affinities to your local team, when you look up to blokes for no reason other than they kick a ball. As you get older its more tribalism - but you've made your bed and you lie in it.

JoeyBananaduck

Quote from: machotrouts on April 25, 2017, 05:46:37 PM
Around the time of this tweet:

Fucking "witty". Twee Dave-ass cunt

Indeed. Seemingly prioritising wit over say, decent policies or viable leadership etc. in a political party is fairly bizarre. Makes me wonder what precedent he thinks there is for it. Chuckles Churchill? John 'The Mirthmaker' Major? Perhaps he just wants the formation of the Q.I. party. Presumably because he'd be one of their inevitable MPs.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on April 25, 2017, 03:00:22 PM
Well as I understand it, he got a degree in Mathematical Physics from University College Dublin...

means nowt. Just look at the state of Pancreas.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on April 25, 2017, 03:00:22 PM

What Blods said.  They can't decide whether they're a university or a college for one thing.

marquis_de_sad

Don't like his combover, and the banter on Pointless is very draining. As has been said, he was the only good thing on HIGNFY the other day, partly because he was the only one trying. He's alright, basically.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't see him much, and even if I did bother to watch pointless I'd have kicked my telly in at the sight of Alexander Armstrong long before Osman annoyed me.

MojoJojo

To the original question - I think his first or second appearance[nb]I know it's radio[/nb] on the Unbelievable Truth it became clear he's very limited as a comedian - he only has one voice and only a small handful of jokes he can tell with it. His real skill, I think, is being able to fit that in around other guests and make the jokes in a way that means they make the edit. It's precisely the skill Stewart Lee lacks. And it makes a lot of sense that a producer would have it[nb]although the "he was just standing in on the pilot but he was so good they decided to keep him" is obviously only one of bollocks of the pair, like the Fry/QI thing[/nb]

Shared a train carriage with him a couple of years ago and got a slightly dirty look when I looked over my shoulder at him (at the other half's urging). I don't blame him, and he did send a nice tweet about it later.

He really is very tall.

lankyguy95

He's definitely on TV too much and the love-in for him is a little irritating (as it is for Fry).

I think he's alright though.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I've always really liked him on Pointless and as a guest on HIGNFY. I've not seen him on many other things but definitely aware he's popping up everywhere.

What gets me though is when he has a crack at presenting, which he's just shit at. Got an email a few years ago offering tickets for some show called Two Tribes he was hosting, I never saw it but remember struggling to imagine him hosting. That episode of Pointless a few months a go where he and Zarrrnder swap places was terrible as was his one time hosting HIGNFY before sensibly being bumped back down to a panelist.

The minute he's playing the host and doing bits to camera, he becomes this really boring wooden bastard. He's much better when the pressure's off him and he can just get on with being a smart arse, like doing Hislop and Merton's job for them which hampipe's already mentioned.