Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,326
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you've just gone "mate" - cinema edition

Started by madhair60, April 25, 2017, 11:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Towards the end of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 when Gwen Stacy is falling down that tower or whatever it is, and he shoots his web line after her and the end turns into a grasping hand.

Mate.

Keebleman

Aged 14 I saw Conan the Barbarian at the local fleapit on a Saturday night.  When Sandahl Bergman returned as an angel to save Arnie's neck (and the rest of him too) the beered-up crowd erupted in jeers and mocking laughter.

Wet Blanket

"Raging Spud" in Trainspotting 2.

And all the rest of Trainspotting 2.

Kane Jones

Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. Shia Labeouf swinging on vines Tarzan-style with a load of CG monkeys.

Mate.

Povidone

Basically all of Star Trek Into Darkness, When he half heartedly sneers the line 'My name is...Khaaaan' Pretty sure I let out an audible 'oh fuck OFF' in the cinema despite knowing full well it was coming.

phantom_power

Experienced scientist playing with cute but unknown tentacle creature in Prometheus - Mate!

The rest of Prometheus from that point on - Maaaaate!

BlodwynPig

Kong rapes a leprechaun in Rage of Kong. mate

Blumf

Quote from: phantom_power on April 25, 2017, 12:13:21 PM
Experienced scientist playing with cute but unknown tentacle creature in Prometheus - Mate!

After spending most his time being shit scared of everything too.

Whole of Prometheus = mate!

Shit Good Nose

Oliver Stone's Savages.  Bewildering how it was so well received by many, yet there were so many "mate" moments (the script alone is filled with stuff that I can't believe made it to the big screen - "one has orgasms, the other has wargasms"...???....maaaaaaaaaate), in particular the bit where it rewinds (I won't spoiler that, because you'll only know what I'm on about if you've seen it).  That was SO bad that even the two teenage girls[nb]whom we were convinced were under 18[/nb] sat in front of us audibly tutted incredulously when it happened.  You know something's wrong when even young teenage girls, who were probably legally too young to watch the film don't forget, find it ridiculous.  Another guy also walked out after about an hour, and loudly said "uuuuuurrrrrrrr, whatever" as he was getting up.

It also left me with a bizarre hatred of Aaron Taylor-Johnson, which I've not been able to shake since.

thenoise

Star Wars: Attach of the Clones - several times, but especially 'My goodness you've grown' / 'So have you ... grown more beautiful that is' (vomits)

Independence Day - the dog.  The ending.  All of it.

Any 'clever' or 'funny' scene in a big summer blockbuster can fuck off basically.

billtheburger

Big Trouble in Little China - I never had to go "mate" once during all the barmy magic shit with the storms and their basket hats, the implausible rucking, Kim Cattrall's green eyes, or the fact that an everyday trucker can save the day.
By my terms of film all ace & OK.
But then they stick in that little toast,"Here's to the Army and Navy and the battles they have won; here's to America's colors, the colors that never run. May the wings of liberty never lose a feather." Fuckin' mate, no.

MoonDust

Quote from: Steven on April 25, 2017, 01:10:09 PM
The "And the school cut you from the athletics team?!" moment in Jurassic Park: The Lost World.

mate, it's got bells on

My God that's daft. In real life (assuming it was possible to clone dinosaurs and raptors were made 6 feet tall and hench as fuck) a child that size would just bounce off the raptor.

Be like her kicking a tiger out the window. No chance, mate.

MoonDust

Star Wars Episode III: Darth Vader and the infamous "Nooooooooooo!" after learning his boring girlfriend has died.

Maaaaaate. (Geeeoooorge!)

So fucking cheesy. A child knows that's cheesy. Everyone knows that's cheesy, except George Lucas.

MoonDust

Quote from: MoonDust on April 25, 2017, 02:32:07 PM
Darth Vader and the infamous "Nooooooooooo!" after learning his boring girlfriend has died.

Just realised this is a better title for Episode III than "Revenge of the Sith".

madhair60

More Spider-Man carnage - in Spider-Man 3 when Harry's butler goes "by the way Harry, Spider-Man 3 didn't kill your dad. I know I could have said this an entire movie ago and saved lives, but I am choosing to say it now because the film is over"

Mate!

Dr Syntax Head

I bloody love Star Trek in all it's forms. I watched Nemesis, Star Trek reboot and Beyond last night probably for the thousandth time each. But there is a heck of a lot of 'Mate' going on

mothman

I'm wracking my brains, I can remember being in a cinema one time and you could hear the audience audibly scoffing when something happened. Damned if I can remember what film it was though...

MoonDust

Can't remember the exact lines but me and mate audibly groaned in one of the final scenes of Arrival. Was some cheesy romance dialogue.

colacentral

The trailer for that new King Arthur film, there's dialogue which I assume is between Merlin and Arthur after the latter has had a vision:

"Did you see what you needed to see?"

"... I saw enough!"

... So yeah, you did then.

Steven

Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves is full of "mate" moments, but what about Friar Tuck extolling the virtues of beer?

mate, it's ale

Icehaven

Quote from: mothman on April 25, 2017, 03:36:22 PM
I'm wracking my brains, I can remember being in a cinema one time and you could hear the audience audibly scoffing when something happened. Damned if I can remember what film it was though...

Was it Skyline? I can't stand it when people talk in the cinema, drives me mad even if the film's crap, but I was more than happy when half the audience seemed to be openly mocking this one, it was far more entertaining than the film, which was a mate-fest from about 10 minutes in.

Cerys

Puce Moment

When CGI Carrie Fisher appears at the end of Rogue One there was opening laughing in the cinema I was sat in. I was one of them.

Sydward Lartle

It does fit into the old-school Warner Bros / Tex Avery-style madness of certain aspects of the film, but the part in Disney's Aladdin where that giant tower rolls over him - and he just happens to have perfectly judged the exact spot where the window would roll and escapes unscathed - prompted the loudest 'MAAAATE!' reaction I'd ever heard from a cinema audience up to that point.

billtheburger

Quote from: mothman on April 25, 2017, 03:36:22 PM
Where I've noticed surplus cinema cynicism:
Andie McDowell not noticing the rain in Four Weddings and A Funeral
&
The spinning top at the end of Inception.

Cerys

billtheburger

It was better than all the comedy in the film hearing hundreds of people do variations of "mate"

Sydward Lartle

Quote from: Cerys on April 25, 2017, 04:43:55 PM
Andie McDowell just can't act.

Agreed, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying Groundhog Day.

Shit Good Nose

Insidious.

The fact that it's a rip-off of Poltergeist was iffy, but I went with it.

The out-of-place comedy double act sidekicks were iffy[nb]also cf. the cops in Last House On the Left[/nb], but I went with it.

Then the gas mask came out.

MATE!