Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:43:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you've just gone "mate" - cinema edition

Started by madhair60, April 25, 2017, 11:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thraxx

Quote from: MoonDust on April 25, 2017, 02:32:07 PM
Star Wars Episode III: Darth Vader and the infamous "Nooooooooooo!" after learning his boring girlfriend has died.

Maaaaaate. (Geeeoooorge!)

So fucking cheesy. A child knows that's cheesy. Everyone knows that's cheesy, except George Lucas.

And the "Grrrrrrrr, I hate them" bit.

Gulftastic

Quote from: sprocket on April 26, 2017, 10:51:38 PM

Or pretty much any time Legolas featured in the Hobbit trilogy.

'Legolas, what do your elf eyes see?'
Mate.

Van Dammage

Quote from: sprocket on April 26, 2017, 10:51:38 PM

Or pretty much any time Legolas featured in the Hobbit trilogy.

The fact that they got three films out of the Hobbit.

Noodle Lizard

I don't remember exactly what was happening, but there was a bit in the first Hobbit which just had all these fucking Hobbits jumping and running from one side of the screen to the other, and I remember taking off my 3D glasses and just sighing "mate ..."

Noodle Lizard

Jeff Bridges turning out to be the baddie in Iron Man.  Mate.

Chriddof

Quote from: Cerys on April 25, 2017, 04:09:48 PM
'It's a UNIX system!'

Ngh.

That actually existed. It was a slightly gimmicky tool available on Silicon Graphics workstations, i.e. the hardware used to create Jurassic Park's CGI.

http://www.siliconbunny.com/fsn-the-irix-3d-file-system-tool-from-jurassic-park/

My own nomination (though it was only in the extended TV edit) is this bewildering moment from Superman III, a film already filled with bewildering moments (but not as many as The Quest For Peace).

Cerys

Blumf

zomgmouse

The entirety of the film Equilibrium.

Also the entirety of the film Wanted.

Phil_A

The bit in Meet Joe Black when Brad Pitt starts talking in patois to an elderly Jamaican woman. "Every ting gon be irieeee!" Mate.

Mini

I just watched M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water.

Mate.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Chriddof on April 27, 2017, 11:06:01 AM
That actually existed. It was a slightly gimmicky tool available on Silicon Graphics workstations, i.e. the hardware used to create Jurassic Park's CGI.

http://www.siliconbunny.com/fsn-the-irix-3d-file-system-tool-from-jurassic-park/

My own nomination (though it was only in the extended TV edit) is this bewildering moment from Superman III, a film already filled with bewildering moments (but not as many as The Quest For Peace).

I've definitely said it whilst logging into our solaris boxes, usually shortly before chuntering under my breath.

Brundle-Fly

Surely, one of biggest "mate"s in cinema history?

Small Man Big Horse

They were deliberately taking the piss with that though, weren't they?

TheWoodenSpoon

Any scene from Superman IV: The Quest For Peace. Such as trapping Nuclear Man in a poxy lift (and the general idea of him immediately powering down the moment he's out of direct sunlight). The straightening of the flag on the Moon. That woman who's not Lois Lane breathing in space.

"Mate."

Avril Lavigne

I like Peter Jackson's King Kong remake but I really wish it didn't have the scene where Kong takes Ann ice-skating.

Glebe

This is another great thread that I should be able to think of loads of examples of, but I'm fucked if I can... Spielberg's otherwise-fine War of the Worlds, where
Spoiler alert
Cruise's son comes running out, safe and well!
[close]
Chewie doing Tarzan's yell and ruining the illusion in Return of the Jedi. I really have to refresh me brain, but there are surely countless examples.

Quote from: Kane Jones on April 25, 2017, 11:35:14 AMIndiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. Shia Labeouf swinging on vines Tarzan-style with a load of CG monkeys.

Mate.

They just about got away with the gopher, in a fun kinda way, but that was the moment when the wheels came off the film for me.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 25, 2017, 05:10:43 PMInsidious.

The fact that it's a rip-off of Poltergeist was iffy, but I went with it.

The out-of-place comedy double act sidekicks were iffy[nb]also cf. the cops in Last House On the Left[/nb], but I went with it.

Then the gas mask came out.

MATE!

Just saw that a few weeks ago... starts out well, with some nice jump scares, then goes fucking ridiculous. And yeah, the gas mask was the real clanger, I just thought, "Is this a joke?"

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on April 28, 2017, 01:01:21 PMI like Peter Jackson's King Kong remake but I really wish it didn't have the scene where Kong takes Ann ice-skating.

Jackson and Philippa Boyens address that in the DVD commentary... I think Jackson says that the impression he got was that people felt that the scene went on too long.

Bad Ambassador

The rest of the movie desperately needed to be over three hours long though.

Cerys

Dead Poets Society - the histrionics of Neil Perry's parents upon finding his body.  Seriously cringeworthy when seen in juxtaposition with the slow build-up.  The first time I saw it ... gah.  Mate.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 28, 2017, 12:07:03 AM

Oh, please.  You're giving them way too much credit.

Quote from: zomgmouse on April 25, 2017, 10:11:56 PM
Ex Machina.

"I know you know what the Turing Test is but I'm gonna tell you anyway."

Mate.

Oh fuck yes, so much this.  He may as well have turned to the camera, stared straight down the lens and said "this is for all you mouth breathing idiots in the audience".

Steven

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 28, 2017, 05:24:10 PM
Oh, please.  You're giving them way too much credit.

Yes, Independence Day is full of "mate" moments, there's that one, there's Will Smith knocking out an alien wearing an armoured exoskeleton by punching it in the face "Welcome to Earth!", they also have to make Will Smith's girlfriend a stripper so they can have this race/class transcending moment where a black stripper comforts the President's dying wife, there's Harvey Firestein running around like a gay stereotype, there's the constant David shit, there's awful moments in the script like this, and let's again not forget Judd Hirsch's turn as Heebie Kikeberger.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Steven on April 28, 2017, 05:57:45 PM
Yes, Independence Day is full of "mate" moments, there's that one, there's Will Smith knocking out an alien wearing an armoured exoskeleton by punching it in the face "Welcome to Earth!", they also have to make Will Smith's girlfriend a stripper so they can have this race/class transcending moment where a black stripper comforts the President's dying wife, there's Harvey Firestein running around like a gay stereotype, there's the constant David shit, there's awful moments in the script like this, and let's again not forget Judd Hirsch's turn as Heebie Kikeberger.

Indeed, though you forgot to mention the awful British pilots scene, which I've ranted about previously on this very forum...

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 08, 2015, 06:50:29 PM
Yep.  Terrible movie and insultingly dumb to boot.  Here's my most hated scene from the whole shitty affair.  It's actually quite offensive...

"Pip pip.  Let's go help our American buddies out, hey what, old bean" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haIMvy_Iv3E

Well, it's a toss up between that and the bit where it's revealed that the alien ships are powered by Apple Macs... apparently.

Steven

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 28, 2017, 06:41:13 PM
Indeed, though you forgot to mention the awful British pilots scene, which I've ranted about previously on this very forum...

I was going to mention that, but there's too many moments to pick from. There's also a shit-tonne of "mate" in Con-Air, and Face/Off is just made out of super-condensed "mate."

Glebe

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 28, 2017, 01:36:06 PMThe rest of the movie desperately needed to be over three hours long though.

Touché!

Quote from: Steven on April 28, 2017, 05:57:45 PMand let's again not forget Judd Hirsch's turn as Heebie Kikeberger.

"Oy, enough with the aliens, already!"

Gregory Torso

When Johnny Depp turns up as a surprise in any film. Mate of FUCK OFF.

Gulftastic

Even though Mythbusters showed it was possible, the bit when Indiana Jones and annoying bint and annoying kid jump out of a plane with a life raft and survive the drop.

Mate.

Custard

Johnny Depp's sudden "wacky" dance in that fuck-bad Tim Burton go at Alice In Wonderland

Depp's past decade can be summed up in that one scene

Brundle-Fly

Three more Bond entries

Mate. Brilliant stunt ruined by the swanee whistle sound. Note the obviously painted ramp to look like a rickety wooden bridge effect.

Mate. Even in 1974 this effect was appalling. Yaphet Kotto hated the film and particularly hated his character's exit.

Mate. "Here's to us!" Jaws betraying millions of teenage boys in one clink of a glass flute. You are supposed to be evil, mute and Polish, not a smarmy, floppy-haired love sick puppy from Detroit.

Serge

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 28, 2017, 12:07:03 AM

Yes. Yes they were. Short of having Emmerich lean into shot and wink at the camera, it couldn't be more knowingly piss-taking.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Serge on April 29, 2017, 05:23:13 PM
Yes. Yes they were. Short of having Emmerich lean into shot and wink at the camera, it couldn't be more knowingly piss-taking.

By that logic, the whole movie was one big parody/piss-take... except, you know?  It wasn't.  What it was and is however; is a clichéd, badly written, explosion-go-boom blockbuster, piece of shit; designed to keep the unquestioning mouth-breathers of this world entertained as they stuff their gaping mouths with popcorn, in-between breaths for a couple of hours.  By that standard, it succeeded with flying colours.

I don't begrudge people subjectively enjoying 'Independence Day' as a ludicrous slice of Holloywood fluff; dumb-fun for when you don't want to engage with your brain or with the material beyond a completely superficial level.  Just as long as those same people can acknowledge that it's objectively hot garbage[nb]I have this exact relationship with the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movies, for example.[/nb] but for the love of good taste; don't defend the fucking turd at an artistic level, for goodness sake!