Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:19:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris - GLR Show - Saturday 24th April 1993 - Calls To Franco

Started by Neil, February 18, 2004, 04:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

It's gonna take me all evening to get an update sorted so I'll just put the links for the new GLR show in here.  I had to encode this through the mic socket so this show is in MONO!  Steve Bass2rez very kindly offered to send me a new card that he had going spare, so I will do a Stereo upgrade once I get it, but in the meantime, this sounds nice anyway.

Sounds like this contains the first instance of a GLR Kiddys Outing, check out that jingle!  Great show, and you have to remember this was going out on a Saturday afternoon on a local London station, it really does highlight how bloody awful British radio is these days.  

Anyway here it is, enjoy:

Part 1

Part 2

27 megs each.  I'll see if I can squish it down for dialuppers, it'e one hell of a show!

Big thanks to Martin Dean for kindly supplying this show!

butnut

Thanks Neil, and the mystery supplier! I'm looking forward to this.

Purple Tentacle

Cheers Neil!

I promise to post at least one comment on the Updates page as soon as I've downloaded it! (In a couple of months.... I much prefer large good quality files, it's usually worth the wait)

Neil

OK the credit for this one belongs to Martin Dean, big thanks to him!  

Ah it's great having the show on mp3 so I can listen to it when I want, I'll make a compilation of the Calls To Franco bits, but I think I'd prefer people to hear them in the context of the whole show first.  I'm gonna compress this one down further for TJ to download so I'll put it up here when it's down for anyone on dialup who doesn't like getting big files.  Ooh the Saturday Night Fry theme tune has just come on, I wonder if this is the show where he does a couple of SNF references.  Must get started on those GLR episode guide upgrades as they will aid my terrible memory.

Purple Tentacle

Will the version you post up on the website be the compressed 56k version, or the high-quality version?

Neil

The high-quality one!  The loq-quality will be messageboard only, I don't really like releasing low-quality captures but I've kept TJ waiting for this show for months and I've no blanks to post it to him.  The two Harpoons are ready to go as well, they'll be on the front page later I think.  The mono capture sounds pretty bloody good incidentally, well worth getting, I used to be able to download about 25 an hour or every two hours on dialup, so it can be done.

Lt Plonker

Neil

The GLR shows are very like the Music Shows, especially this 1993 one.  You'll love it!  Paul Garner is in it a fair bit, this show kind of revolves around some phone calls they made to America in search of Franco.  GLR are some of my fave ever Morris stuff, and this is a good one to start off with!  

Oh the farty music before the news bulletin in Part 2 is a present Danny Baker made for him (as revealed in another show which I'm not sure is up yet,,,it is encoded though!)

Neil

Low-quality part the first:

Part 1

Couldn't find RealProducer so I just did a low-quality mp3.  Still sounds bloody good and now each half of the show is only 10 megs.

If you rename the file PLEASE keep "lowquality" in there somewhere.  Everyone deserves to hear this stuff in as good a quality as possible which is why I don't like releasing low-quality files.

Darrell

Neil, I'll send RealProducer your way if you want.

I'm looking forward to hearing this show.

Neil

Ta, that would be handy!  Probably could have got this show a lot smaller in RealAudio but the mp3s do sound very nice considering the size.

Low-quality part the second

Part 2

Bilko

Neil Bombd strikes again (in a good sense, not The Smiths sense).

Can't give my reaction to the show as I prefer to find the perfect time to listen to anything new or old for that matter by Chris Morris.

Some Herbert

Come on then you fannies. D'ya want some? Huh?

(I'm in the CaB SoulSeek chatroom, logged in as "roobarb")

Neil

Anyone listened to it yet?

"What do you win?  Don't ask difficult questions!"

A Passing Turk Slipper

I'm just finishing listening to it now. Another brilliant show, the Franco calls especially. I like it how at one point he's almost laughing, you can hear when he's getting angry that he is suppressing the laughter. I was in hysterics when they finally tracked down Franco in the end, what must that guy of been thinking when some guys ring him up in terrible accents and ask him to go fishing as well as talking about an escaped hyena?

fbb bastard

fan-bloody-tastic...apes,ivories and peacocks to all l concerned.....i miss this madness......shockingly i remember who did the version of  donald fagen's "IGY" immediately...

Hemi

Thanks Neil and Martin Dean for this fantastic show.  I've listened to it a couple of times now and I love it.  The scripted stuff is just perfect but my favourite bits are where Morris is fielding calls.  It's a joy to listen to his fast thinking chatter like "...put your hand over your mouth and leave it there for three days".... or even just his little observations like the spot-on one about Richard Littejohn who had a show running on LBC at that time.  Even the music is mostly great... listen to the way he segues the lingering guitar at the end of 'Let's Go Crazy' over the intro to 'The Boy With the Thorn in His Side'.  Good luck with finding more of these GLR hows.

european son

brilliant stuff.... waxing lyrical about how great this show is in the Soulseek room.

from the music, to the laidback style, to my favourite so far, Kiddy Outings, this is all quality.

it highlights what a state terrestrial radio's in these days. XFM was a criminally wasted oppurtunity in every respect.

Neil

Glad yer all enjoying it, it really is great when they finally get through to Franco!  Very obvious Jerky Boys influence in those calls, I think Garner was on top form there for once.  I can't understand why more GLR prank calls haven't surfaced, he was clearly doing them at that point (such as the On The Hour ones, and the Cass/Axl Rose call for Select) but so far I think all we've got is this one, and a (fairly weak) call to Trevor Dann which doesn't really count.  It's fascinating charting how the shows changed over the years too, enough have surfaced now that you can get a rough idea of the changes over the years, and I'd love to try and write a big aritcle on it for SOTCAA at some point but I'm not sure I have the skills.  GLR shows are just right up there with the very best of his stuff for me, I enjoy the music and so can keep the shows in my playlist for quite a while.  Yes, hearing him dealing with callers is always a joy, he's just scary quick.

Bilko

I love the TDT mininews one where he reports he is in contact with a submarine that is laying at the bottom of an ocean with men on board. Then makes out he is conducting  an interview with on the men on board when infact he has telephoned a restaurant/food place in america. It's amazing how quickly his brain works to be able to get out of the joke being exposed and keep it going,like when he says 'Your obviously speaking in code'.

I like the OTH one where he phones someone up about news events, asks someone in an office what it happening, then the priceless 'Is there a man with a gun'. Silence followed by a meekly sorry, CM comes back and says 'Oh go away'.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"I love the TDT mininews one where he reports he is in contact with a submarine that is laying at the bottom of an ocean with men on board. Then makes out he is conducting  an interview with on the men on board when infact he has telephoned a restaurant/food place in america. It's amazing how quickly his brain works to be able to get out of the joke being exposed and keep it going,like when he says 'Your obviously speaking in code'.

I haven't seen that for aaaages, but for some reason was under the impression that this was all scripted. Like I said, it was ages ago and I think I only watched it once but there you go. Am I a complete idiot or did anyone else think this? Or was I correct anyway?

(Currently finished listening to the first Call to Franco. Tremendous. I'll post my thoughts on the whole show after it's ifnished)

Almost Yearly

Great, huh?

Tell you what, whereas his funniness works for me around 85% of the time, his music selection is more like 95% (Edit: fucking Smiths).

Thanks Neil and Dean Martin.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

God that was brilliant, cheers Neil and Martin Dean!

>As previously mentioned, the conversation with the callers was fantastic to listen to:

"You alone?"
"Not entirely, no"
"You mean someone left half their body there...which half...it's difficult to tell sometimes isn't it?"

"Jim"
"Yeah , hi"
"Yeah, you are quite!
"I'm high?"
Then Chris's high-pitched laugh whih really just tops it all off.

> The casio interuptions, especially  in "Play That Funky music". These always seem to crack me up for some reason, especially the Elastica one in one of the Radio 1 shows.

>"Auto-codeine fix on the telephone bowel"

> Wayne Carr's "Not that I disaprove of forensic scientists, I just think British ones are better"

> The Sock Quiz - "No, that's the sound of an aroused football official". It's a shame that these weren't more varied though.

and a whole host of other things. It really is amazing how quick-witted he is with the callers, and a shame he couldn't do something soon which relied on this ability instead of moving into the world of direction or whatever. I wonder if and how the music show format could be adapted in some way to accomodate for some sort of vague tv equivalent with Chris talking and generally arsing on, or if without having the music breaking it up it just wouldn't work at all.

Another great bit of quick-wit I remember is in another GLR show and since my brain is fried (I'm having a bad day) I can't remember what the fuck it was, other than the caller says something which is a euphemism for pissing, and Chris replies with something like "Are you? I thought I could hear a trickle". Argh, it completely escapes me at the minute but the way that conversation flowed was astounding.

anyway, I'm truly rambling now (the whole music show on tv thing I mentioned sounds shit but I know what I mean, just an excuse to see him doing more light-hearted and frivilous material really as well as being back on the tv, although I'd kill for him to make a return to Radio again anyway) so I'll just ifnish this post now with another thanks to Neil and Martin for this new download.

Cheers.

Almost Yearly

That's a stylophone he's using on the Steely Dan isn't it?

Bilko

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"That's a stylophone he's using on the Steely Dan isn't it?

I haven't listened to the show yet, due to my hifi being fucked. I am expecting it back today, I havent listened to it on my PC because I want the best possible sound quaility.

That stylophone thing you described, is that another of CM's playing an instrument badly over a music track?

Darrell

Halfway through part 1 - this is great stuff!

I'm not too adept at remembering stuff to quote, but I just love the light-hearted feel of it all - he's so bloody likeable! The caller interaction is great, too. I definitely prefer these to the Music Shows, they're just better!

Purple Tentacle

Listening to this at work now... I love his Valerie Sinatra-esque chatting up of the yummy-sounding caller.

Still prefer the Music Shows though, more refined, which isn't to say that the GLR stuff isn't wonderful.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha Garry Bushell is being outed!

Purple Tentacle

Is it my imagination, or does Morris get shitty when he's upstaged by callers?

Neil

Quote from: "NobodyGetsOutAlive""Jim"
"Yeah , hi"
"Yeah, you are quite!
"I'm high?"
Then Chris's high-pitched laugh whih really just tops it all off.

Yes!  That floored me.  Also this little quip at the start of the show;

QuoteLast week a drug-crazed crank was apprehended at Kensington Palace, knocking at the door of Princess Margaret, did anyone let him out?

Someone on Soulseek last night (jigsaw I think?) mentioned this site to me which says the following:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1460805.stm
QuoteLocal radio beckoned, but he was soon shown the door at one station after providing his own commentaries during news bulletins. After joining the BBC's London station, GLR, he was sacked once again after broadcasting "Kiddie's Outing", in which a child would "out" a celebrity as homosexual.

Now that doesn't make sense, bearing in mind that this show is in April and that the other 1993 one we put up at Xmas is from May, there's what, two weeks between the shows so he must have been doing Kiddys Outing on GLR for at least a month.  To quote from TJ's info on the GLR page:

Morris apparently left this show voluntarily to concentrate on the making of "On The Hour", although mysterious and tantalising hints have recently slipped out that he in some way "upset Marmaduke Hussey" (i.e. the man at the very head of the BBC empire at that time!).

Now going on the presumption that there's some grain of truth in the BBC article, I'm wondering if he could possibly have subjected Marmaduke Hussey to a Kiddys Outing!  It's just a wacky theory, but I kind of like it!