Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:15:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris - GLR Show - Saturday 24th April 1993 - Calls To Franco

Started by Neil, February 18, 2004, 04:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Tentacle

The Hingabies / hinged dogs feedback report was recycled on the R1 Music Show!

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quite a few of them were as far as I'm aware. Same goes for some of the Kiddies Outings I think.

Darrell

The Hinge Abuse feedback report can also be found in the CaB mix I did about a million years ago (in which I still need to replace a couple of tracks with better-quality versions which I now have).

Neil

Yes, Morris was very fond of endlessly recylcing his own material even back then!  Although bearing in mind that the Feedback Reports seem to be the one constant throughout the run of GLR shows, he must have done millions of em!  I mean sometimes there's 3 a show.  Stuff was reused in On The Hour too, including good old Sgt Murphy (and in CMMS).  See that's why I want to start upgrading those GLR episode guides, so there's a list of all the bits that have been used in other shows.  One of the GLR shows SOTCAA surfaced has an extended Ephemeral DOg by the way!  (It's the New Year Highlights show)

CK1

Great to hear a new show on the site - I've listened to all of Part 1 and it intrigues me.

I just don't think it's that great. It's different, it's clever and whimsical and he's sharp with the callers but to me it lacks the edge and the polish that some of his later work has.

I find it hard to believe around a year later he was doing the Radio 1 Music Shows. This GLR show seems a bit more hit and miss, like it's quite raw in places.

There are bits off mic, voices that don't sound believable and I have to say made me cringe a little bit. Listening to this first time round, on GLR that Saturday there must have been loads that people just didn't get it.

However, he does sound very relaxed, it's free flowing, he's very anarchic but I can't help thinking (being the perfectionist he appears to be) that he would get home that evening, listen back to the tapes and think "yep, that worked well, no that bit didn't, could have done better there " etc. Which is fantastic because that's what everyone should do and that is how you develop.

He's somewhere in between a very original but mainstream "DJ" and the vicious satirical animal he became later.

Still to listen to Part 2 and it's just my opinion and it's just this show - I've heard other GLR shows which I'd put above the R1 shows, but there you go.

Hemi

Re: the Franco calls:
[/quote]Very obvious Jerky Boys influence in those calls, I think Garner was on top form there for once.
What was Garner's part in those calls?  Was he the second voice on some of those calls? I recognised him as one of the callers in the tube station competition.  And yeah a real Jerky Boys influence there, even the voice was the same...
[/quote]Is it my imagination, or does Morris get shitty when he's upstaged by callers?
Any examples? I find he enjoys callers who are witty and will chuckle at them and carry on til they run out.
QuoteI just don't think it's that great. It's different, it's clever and whimsical and he's sharp with the callers but to me it lacks the edge and the polish that some of his later work has.
I think his twin masterpieces were Brass Eye and the first two series of Blue Jam.  They were more focussed and polished.  But they do lack (necessarily) the raw spur-of -the-moment parts of this GLR show... and those raw parts are great.

Anyway... can anyone tell me the name of the Dexy's Midnight Runners tune in this show?
EDIT: thanks fbb

fbb bastard

Quote from: "Hemi")
[/quote
Anyway... can anyone tell me the name of the Dexy's Midnight Runners tune in this show?

thats "the celtic soul brothers (more,please,thank you)

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Quote from: "Neil"
QuoteLast week a drug-crazed crank was apprehended at Kensington Palace, knocking at the door of Princess Margaret, did anyone let him out?

Interestingly enough (or not as the case might be) this is the same basis for the joke that Jerry Springer tells Morris, which Morris the seems to mock, in the Blue Jam interview