Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:50:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sacred Paws

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 28, 2017, 10:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Ace!

I've had the new album for a while but as I only really listen to my records of an evening, haven't had chance to take it our of the cellophane yet. But, what with it being a sunny blue skied day, I've given it a first and second and third play and it's such a glorious album. Feels kind of hopeful.

Monorail said this:

QuoteIt has come to pass. When Sacred Paws converged a few years back, a fiery duo who dived into a breakneck, punked up version of Afro-beat-inflected music uninhibited, we were excited about the possibility. Sacred Paws were home-grown, two friends from different cities who had cut their teeth in different groups before finding each other. Rachel Aggs and Eilidh Rodgers eventually grew into one of the most essential and life-affirming live acts on this island; with only guitar, drums and vocals the duo had a somehow-maximalist approach to rhythm and melody.

Now, much fun and many dances later, Sacred Paws finally unveil their debut full length on Rock Action. While their previous ep "Six Songs" seemed to riff on a similar blueprint: the wiry, high life-influenced virtuoso guitar of Rachel Aggs bouncing off Rodgers' frantic, joyful drumming, Strike A Match explores new territory with aplomb. Bringing in more instrumentation in parts - most notably a bass guitar, trumpet and some ecstatic synth playing from Happy Meals/The Cosmic Dead keyboardist Lewis Cook - has revealed many depths to Aggs and Rodgers' songwriting. Everyday is a stand out: by easing back a little on the pace, the duo let the sun shine in, with more harmonies and intricacies to reach into the listener's inner ear. Strike A Match doesn't ease up too much though: at heart this is still the duo who yank improbable guitar lines out of their own fast-paced orbit, but by now wielding a fully-developed songwriting prowess that lingers long after the dance has ended. Sacred Paws are unstoppable.

They look like this:

They sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzY9ccn13w8

holyzombiejesus

and they've just won Scottish Album of the Year!

holyzombiejesus

I'm listening to their new album and it's soooooooooooooo good. Why doesn't everyone love this band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdpnWdf6_4Q

Moonshine

Haven't checked them out yet but I recognise the lass from Trash Kitt. Love that band  so thanks for pointing this one out

phantom_power

I had a listen to their new album based on this thread and really enjoyed it. Well done you

Brundle-Fly

Very 1982. I like it. Ta for tip.