Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:41:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brian Meadway - Fact or Fiction?

Started by Keebleman, April 29, 2017, 07:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

30 years ago I received as a gift William Donaldson's 'Great Disasters of the Stage'.  In the section Theatre in the Home is the following story:

Quote"My husband takes an interest in music," said Mrs Wendy Lowe of Ipswich.  "When I saw that Brian Meadway's latest LP included a personal offer from him to perform in the homes of his admirers, I wrote away, giving him the date of our wedding anniversary and our address.

"The doorbell went just after supper and my husband, to whom I had not mentioned the matter, went to answer it.  Much to his surprise, Mr Meadway, who was drunk, pushed his way in, said he had been detained at a press conference, and then spent twenty minutes in the lavatory.  After this, he joined my husband and my mother (who had come from Torquay for the occasion) and insisted on borrowing my tennis racquet, without which, he said, he couldn't mime the song properly.

"When he began to sing, the neighbours knocked on the wall to stop the noise.  Whereupon Mr Meadway pounded back with the racquet and shouted obscenities up the chimney.  On the way out he was sick over the hall carpet and when I told him he had spoilt our evening, he said, 'Who cares?'"

Is anyone familiar with this Brian Meadway?  I've quoted the entirety of the text in the book; there's no information as to the date or about Meadway himself.  When I first read the story I assumed that someone who was willing to come to a fan's home and sing probably isn't in the Michael Jackson sales stratum, but I would have expected some online trace of him even so.  There's nothing on Wikipedia and the top Google results are a blank too.  (I could have searched a little deeper I suppose, but then I wouldn't have had a reason to share the story.)

Donaldson was an eccentric character, so it's possible he could have simply dreamt up the tale.  Not that the book needs it, as it's probably as good as a stocking filler can get, featuring such stories as Nicol Williamson losing a fight with a midget, an old lady dying onstage with Bruce Forsyth and Val Doonican sliding off Ayers' Rock in his rocking chair.